1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new owner: six weeks and deeply in love

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by berliner, Jul 8, 2010.

1. berliner

berliner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all,

it has almost been six weeks since I picked up my brand new 2010 Prius III from the dealership. I already put about 1100 miles on it, and I can't put in words how much I appreciate this car!!! Every morning I climb in I feel utterly happy, it is by far the most awesome vehicle I ever had.

We bought the car more or less on a whim. Here is why it happened:

I love my husband, but ....well - we have a completely different set of preferences when it comes to cars.

We do have two cars already, or my husband has, to be exact. For the last five years we shared his 2003 GM Yukon Denali and his 2005 300hp stick shift Volvo sedan. The truck was labeled as my ride to haul around the kids and their gear, and he takes the volvo to work - till the weekend rolls around, and he takes the truck to pull his boat or take the kids places (they don't fit in the back of the volvo with him in the front). I than have to take the volvo.

Ok two cars are more than plenty, but here are the issues: I hate the truck. Its huge, the gas milage is 11.7 mpg. I am from Germany, we have smaller cars there, I had a VW Polo before I moved to the States. I don't appreciate driving a whole apartment block with a boat hitch attached. I am gritting my teeth everytime I fill up at the gas station. :mad:. I would never have bought that thing, but my husband needs to pull his boat with it - a boat with two 150 hp engines that like to take a good sip also :(

I find the volvo equally hopeless. My husband says is has 'good' mileage, which might be somewhat true in comparison to the truck. But I don't care for the 300 horsepowers, neither do I need a stick shift to have fun. Well it gets me from A to B ok - if it wasn't for the accumulated fast food trash my husband collects in there and the tons of stuff for work and the computer stand on the passengers seat, the smell of cold smoke in the cabin, my husbands reluctance to put gas in it before it barely runs on fumes (I have been biting my nails quite a few times, wondering if i would make it to the next gas station), and so on and so forth.

Bottom line I wasn't happy all those years about our cars but willingly put up with the situation because a third car just for me just didn't make any sense.

Till I broke my right hand nine months ago. Because of that I have been in surgery and a cast on and off since, and I am lined up for surgery number 4 in fall. With a cast on my right hand I can't drive a stick shift. So while my husband is out and about with his truck and his boat on a weekend, I am homebound with the kids, a cast, and no car:(

Which is when I decided against better judgement that I had had it with his cars, and I want my own. I admit three cars can't be justified, not even if one is a Prius, but I told my beloved it is time to lose one of his babies if need be, and that is was my turn to pick a car.:p

So now I am a proud prius driver, making 55 mpg, with plenty of space for the kids on the back who love my new car also. I love all the gadgets it comes with, the hands off phone, solar panel, smart key etc.

But spoiled brat I am, I already want more!

I do a lot of short trips of less than 3 miles, dropping of the kids at school of other activities, getting groceries and the like. So my Prius spends a lot of time in warm up mode. It still has awesome gas mileage, but I OOOHHHH so wished I had a plug in battery pack that would let me do a couple of miles without running the ICE. So down the road, sometime not so far in the future, I will put in a conversion kit or upgrade to a plug in prius when it becomes available, or an EV, do not know as of yet. Don't tell my husband though who tends to sit on his cars for about 10 years or so and is still gritting his teeth over this car ;-).

I am not a Prius owner to safe money. I am saving gas, but that is not the same. I bought the prius to support a carmaker like Toyota that put money, time and effort into developing a new technology instead of maxing out an ancient dinosaur technology like diesel that is just a dead end road, for max profit. 'Clean' diesel is becoming a huge health issue in Europe due to those nano particles that are not caught by the best filters. I consider the Prius as a valid contribution to a future independent of foreign oil and thus a support to our troops, it doesn't even matter if I believe in global warming or not (- I do!)

Most of all I am amazed that over night I turned from a rather aggressive road raged plagued driver doing 80 on the left lane, into somebody happily setting up camp behind a truck in the right lane doing 60. Before I would huff and puff over a slow driver in front of me, now I am glad for such a person because the rage of all the other cars behind hits him, not me. Unfortunately, I am too much of a sissy to insist of driving the speed limit with a mad crowd behind me, but maybe overtime I get more feisty....

Last, but not least, a question: I am still within the trial period for the satellite radio. Is it normal that I can't save stations like in FM? The 'slots' on the screen are just black, and I have to dial from station to station. Or is that some kind of dealership demo mode?

Thanks for this chat, I have learned so much reading through the threads the last couple of weeks:cheer2:

2 people like this.
  2. ckk527

ckk527 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Berliner, I bought my 2010 (pkg III) in May and could not express my thoughts about this new car any better. Every morning commute (3 miles) seems like a fun game, as I try to eek out more MPGs.

As for the demo mode for sat radio: I have been able to set stations in three separate levels of SAT (six or eight per level, I can't remember the exact number).

Good to hear that I'm not alone in my growing affection for this car and all that it does.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :welcome: and thanks for the story! auf wiedersehen.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome and congratulations on your new car. I agree that after 10 months of ownership I could not have described it any better than you. I have a 52 mile RT daily commute and this car is still fun to drive and is my "quiet haven" during the commute.

As for the SAT radio, you should be able to dial a station and then select a memory slot to save just like the FM stations. There are three pages of 6 memory slots if I remember correctly. I believe the initial free service is for 90 days from purchase.

5. berliner

berliner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks for the welcome, and the advise concerning the satellite radio!

As I can't save any stations, I hope that means I have the demo mode, maybe the service won't get turned off after 3 months?? I think I saw a thread somewhere where that was the case but can't find it any more. I won't complain and see what happens. One can always hope :)

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is your SAT tab active like the FM and AM or is it grayed out indicating inactive? It must be active if you can dial the SAT stations and listen to them. If you cannot save stations, I would suggest calling the dealer and letting them know.

I think you can be assured that the free XM will come to an end at the end of three months. You will be getting letters in the mail asking you to purchase a year's agreement soon.

If you are interested in continuing SAT radio, several on here have been able to get a half-price special of $77 per year plus royalty fees, etc. Total comes to just over $90 per year. You will need to mention this and push for this because they will be pushing for the full amount.

7. berliner

berliner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

thanks, I will ask for that! Meanwhile I just wait and see what happens. I don't really need to save any stations, I just listen to NPR. So it's not much of an issue, I was just wondering why I don't have the option.

One other thing I forgot to mention in my OP: I love love LOVE the HOV lane sticker!!:rockon:

8. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your white Prius actually kind of looks like a berliner.

9. berliner

berliner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh, thats nice! Really?? :blush: How so?

10. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One of those white powdered sugar covered donuts. Aren't they called berliners in Germany?

Oh wait, if you're from Berlin they're pfannkuchen right?