1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Owner (soon). Strange dealer experience, prepare me...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PhysicsGuy, Mar 24, 2012.

1. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Signed on the dotted line today for a 2012 Prius III. Looking forward to it! Already reading the boards and getting ready, but a few things (after the fact, of course) aren't sitting well with me so I need to know if I'm about to be wamboozled or they just want to sell cars in a time nobody is buying. I was a little overwhelmed, buying a car is an intimidating process for me. Final price out the door: $27663 inc tax & delivery, no problem there, I'm OK with the price. They know I'm working this all through my credit union and their car buying program.

Here's the sale details, please comment (even if to say I'm the sucker for letting it all happen):

1) Car I wanted on the lot was 'sold'. They had a similar one on the way, without the sunroof I didn't want anyway so I ended up spending less. Fine. This really doesn't bother me.

2) NEVER ONCE mentioned extended warranty... at all. I was ready to say no over and over, but was surprised not to have to. Is that coming later? Why didn't he try, did he just want the sale? (I'm not getting the EW anyway)

Here's the weird one:
    3) Handed me to the finance guy who put my SSN, salary and mortgage # down, had me sign the application (rest blank) and said, OK that's it, come back next week when the car is in and we'll finalize everything. Wait, shouldn't we have worked out all the details then?? I even asked, "um... shouldn't we discuss term and percentage?" he said "what does your credit union offer?" So I gave him all the details my CU offers and he said that's fine. So I left. Now I think I should have said I'll get the loan myself. Besides, isn't my insurance company going to need to know the lien holder to write a binder?

So I applied online through my credit union earlier today and got preapproved so if I go back and there are any shenanigans I can say I'm going through my bank instead.

Is this really all going to be this easy or have I fallen for some common scams that I'll get hit with next week?

The sales agreement has the final cash due at delivery so I don't think they'll be able to add anything after the fact (except registration).

OK, let me have it and I hope to learn a lot more here. Thanks in advance!

Matt

2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I, for one, always read EVERYTHING, start to finish, that is placed in front of me before I even think about signing it. Car dealerships, mortgages, credit applications, etc. If they tell me it is just the standard paperwork, I tell them "For you it is, for me it's not." If they try to rush me because I'm taking too long to read it, I politely ask them to stop or I'll leave. They usually leave me alone at that point. One time, though, at a car dealership, another salesperson kept on joking with my salesperson while I was trying to read the finance agreement. After the second time I had to ask him to stop, I left.

That being said, I don't think you'll have a problem if the papers you signed have the final cash due at delivery on it. You DID get a copy before you left, didn't you?

3. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, have the copy in hand. I also read over the loan app, pretty standard app. It was just that I left without the financing in place (and blank spaces on the app itself) and I'm going to need a loss payee for the insurance binder. Bottom line is I have an approved credit union loan ready to go, if they match the terms that's fine, but is there anything I could possibly be hit with as a surprise when I show up for the car?

And what's up with not pressing me on an extended warranty?

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    They'll probably hit you up with that before you finalize the financing.

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard! Sounds like everything is going smoothly. What options on the III? Nav?

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Matt, maybe I am missing something here ...

Car dealership knows you are financing through the credit union and expect costs to match credit union information, but you wonder why dealership is not negotiating price and financing ?

LOL

You wold have been better off not signing the dealership loan app, so that no ambiguity existed as to who the lender is. You are confusing you.

otoh, if you can handle the uncertainty of the dealership offering finance terms better than your credit union, then by all means let them run your credit and make an offer.

Calculate ahead of time the 'out the door' price and expected amortization schedule (aka monthy payment) so that you can check that number on the final paper you sign.

7. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're right SageBrush, I seem to be confusing myself. :confused:

But it was that they intimated they would run the loan through the dealership on the credit union terms rather than through the credit union itself, but he neglected to ask me the term length I was interested in, which makes a difference on the rate. It wasn't set or known that I was financing through the credit union, just going through their pricing program. But as you said, I'll still let them make an offer, which is easier to work with a preapproval in hand.

And I am certainly going to have amortization in hand so I'm prepared.

Regardless, I still need a loss payee for the insurance so I'll have to call them to get the scoop before the car comes in anyway.

Hopefully I'll have a clear, easy ending to this.

8. sharol46

sharol46 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the terms are the same, go with your Credit Union. They are less likely to pull something that an unknown lender through he dealer.

I didn't get the extended warranty (and other worthless add ons) speech until the day of delivery. My dealer accepted no the first time, and was quite nice about it. I know they HAVE to give the spiel, so I just sat and smiled and said no, thank you.

OK, now the important stuff. What color did you get and what color is the interior (yeah, I know).

Sharol

9. kstephens

kstephens New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wasn't asked about the extended warranty until I was finalizing the financial part of it (last step of the purchase). They tried to slip mine in, giving me a paper with my four payment options - asking which one I preferred (all of which included the extended warranty). I Was only financing 5,000 (and that was just until a check cleared from selling my boat - the I was paying it off) I then declined the extended warranty, and then the pressure was on. He spent at least 10 minutes pressuring me into it different scenarios - I kept declining (at least 10 times). I finally told him, if he asked me one more time about it, I was going elsewhere to buy my car. It was unreal. I had a perfect car buying experience - great salesman who seemed honest, talked to some of people in the service department and they seemed great - but the finance guy almost ruined it.

In the end I am very pleased with my car and the purchase process, I hope your experience goes a little more smooth with the finance guy.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know what a loss payee is, but when I bought a car a few months ago the insurance part was as simple as me calling my car insurance company, telling them what I was buying, and asking that proof of insurance be faxed to the dealership.

Right you are about the duration of a loan mattering! Do you have a convenient way to compare two loans that differ in rates and length ?

11. MattPersman

MattPersman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    they didn't offer me any extended warranty or any other BS upsells. it was late on a saturday and the finance girl was probably in a rush to leave and "go out". I did the toyota financial pre approval online before hand to try to speed things up locking in the good 0% rate. all I had to do was negotiate a price, see if I liked the trade offer, and sign the papers.

12. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All other things being equal, I always finance through CU. Then I set up payroll deduction into the account and auto payment. Then in addition to the 0.25% reduction in rate, I never have to think about it. Last four cars bought that way. Love it!

13. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agreed. And I never sign anything that has blank spaces, particularly ones that involve $.

14. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A brief update.

Contacted via email the "finance guy" at dealer to ask what the status is as I want to get the insurance binder settled and who I was borrowing from.

He came back with same term and rate my credit union was offering and listed the lein holder as my credit union with the address of one particular branch, however the name of the credit union was spelled slightly differently and the actual address the credit union told me to use was a different branch (the one they use for all auto loans). Either it's some weird doppelganger credit union our more likely the guy just didn't know the right details. Either way I knew what I had to do.

Bottom line, I told him I'll take care of it and I'll just show up with a check myself. Picking the check up tomorrow at my credit union and hope to drive the car home this Saturday.

Oh and for those who asked, nautical blue/dark grey/nav package.

Of course the waiting for my clean pass stickers to ride the HOV lane will make me antsy, but looking forward to the driving and all the updated technology! Hope my Droid X can handle it all. At least until I get the next phone (galaxy journal where are you? When are you coming?)

I'll post again when I get it.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Matt

DROIDX ?

15. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :rockon:Got it today!

Walked in with my check. Went smooth, except the hard sell on the extended warranty. When I declined, he made me feel like I disappointed my father, he seemed really upset and the whole tone of the transaction changed, shaking his head like I was an idiot. No hard feelings, I understand he's trying to do his job, but I'm glad I had the PriusChat voices in my head to support me and keep me from wavering.

Spent the last hour draining the battery while I played and set it all up. Only thing I need to figure out is why it says I can't use text messaging. Maybe a droid x thing. No worries though, going to get the proclip mount and use the phone to text/email since it has speech to text (and I can use it while moving).

Thanks for the help everyone! Gonna keep lurking and reading so I'll be seeing y'all.

Matt

16. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Told ya! ;)

Congrats on your new car. Enjoy the ride...