1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new owner, well that's not that new

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lovebug, Jul 4, 2007.

1. lovebug

lovebug New Member

Hello,

Joined prius.chat just because I found a better price on all weather mats than from the dealer.

Anyway, after owning a "rice car" RSX-Type S since 2002, I noticed I really didn't care about going
    that fast anymore. Well, going fast required high rpm's. I drove slowly to work and got close to 30 mpg
    by taking off slowly & slowing ahead of lights. I can't believe how many people this p.o.'d. So I said to myself, just let them pass & feel like they are winning the "race."

Although I really wanted to wait & see if Honda came out with a CRX shaped hybrid, we went to the dealers. Honda had the Civic, but the battery stopped having a full hatchback-type seat into which to put stuff. It was cheaper & had a better tax credit, but the Pruis really fit our needs.

Our first trip was from Virginai Beach to Greensboro, NC for a long weekend vacation. I was pleased to
    get 55 mpg with the a/c on. I am still on the tank of gas from returning. Everyday I drive to work it goes up; now at 58.9. But better fill up the tank soon.

Questions: blocking off the grill--at what cold temperature & how to do it? Bike racks==I assume hitch mounted, will do another search, how much did that hurt mpg?

Thanks!

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow. You learned to drive a Prius before you owned one. It's a perfect fit for you.

You can do searches for both and read up. I think low 60s optimizes the blocked grills. You don't want to do it in the summer. There are several threads on the hitch mounted bike racks. Putting stuff on the roof lowers the MPG.

Welcome.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lovebug @ Jul 4 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]473189[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site. You can block the upper grill until you hear the fan start. It might be a tad warmer down there but deriving here e 90's hasn't started the fan. You may also want to increase the tp to at least 42/40.