1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner with key questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Muleears, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Muleears

Muleears New Member

I'm picking up my 01 Prius today but it only has one key and one fob. What are my options for a duplicate key? Anyone tried the large auction site (I don't know if I can say the name)? There is a place selling duplicate keys and activation there. I have to drive about 450 miles to get my car but I think I am getting in at the right time! I look forward to being part of PC.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat and congratulations on your new Prius. Now get the second fob from the dealer! You didn't say if your Prius was an SKS model, but I think all Prius come with 2 fobs so make sure you get them both.

You shouldn't have to go to eBay to get a second fob. Since it's an '01, one of the original fobs may have been lost. Try to get the second at no charge.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Going to have to disagree w/ Bill on the FOB.

My dog chewed one set of keys/fob. Key survived, but the fob didn't. FOB from dealer for my '02 would have been - well, not worth it ($70-100ish?). I got a compatible FOB off of eBay for $12, and programming is a cinch.

Duplicate key, however, is more of a dealer thing since it needs to be programmed in to the ECU, and given the increased cost of the blank, you'll want it done accurately the first time based on the key ID (hopefully you have that). While the procedure probably isn't dealer dependant , I wouldn't want to eat the cost of the blank if the Home Depot key monkey doesn't line up the blank correctly ;-)

4. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ask the dealer for two fobs with keys. You are paying for the car. You have nothing to lose.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Congrats muleears. No problem mentioning ebay here. In fact if you say the date you bought it, I probably tracked the sale (strange hobby).

OK, fob and key. In 2001-2003 Prius the fob is just a remote door locker/unlocker/alarm setter, different from the SKS that came out later. You can drive the car with the appropriately programmed key; fob not required to drive. If you wish to obtain an additional fob it must be set up according to the instructions available here:

http://www.coastaletech.com/transmitters.htm

The keys have an RFID in their big plastic base. If you obtain a new uncut blank key, it can be "introduced" to the vehicle's security system with these instructions:

http://www.coastaletech.com/keys.htm

After reading the above instructions, you may decide that this is not a DIY job. Toyota dealers' charge for it will vary so call around for estimates.

Last point, the car was originally shipped with 3 keys and 2 fobs. One of the keys is gray (not black) and has a slightly different cut pattern. This is the "valet" key and will not open the trunk if you have previously set the trunk lock by locking it to the left. There is also a programming difference between valet and master keys, which essentially prohibits a valet key from being usable to program further "daughter" keys.

I apologize for the complexity of these comments. Don't know how to say it any simpler. The significant warning is this: if you are down to your last master key or fob, it is highly recommended that you obtain and program spare(s). If the last one is lost, the vehicle has to have a computer replaced (the body ECU) and that will be expensive.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks, tochatihu, for a really complete explanation. I knew later models came with two fobs and I jumped to a wrong conclusion about the 2001. Good luck, Muleears!

7. Muleears

Muleears New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Apr 23 2006, 03:21 AM) [snapback]243892[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks to all for the help. I arrived home last night with my new "toy". 450 mi. at 75+ mph and 44 mpg. I'm happy. I know slower speed would get me better mileage. Today I'll stay in town and see how high I can get it. Boy, $24 to fill the tank is a lot better that the $45 for the van it is replacing. I had already gambled and bought a fob on ebay. Just finished programming it per the coastal instructions. It now works perfectly. I think now I'll buy a pair of keys and program them as well. I thought a machine of some sort was needed to program the keys. I do not have a key code for the car. Is there no way of finding it out? The used car dealer I bought it from has no idea where the other keys/fob are. Thanks again for all your help, I'm sure I'll be back