1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner with some questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Former Member 68813, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'm a new owner of 2010 Prius trim II for only 4 days and very happy overall as the car is much better compared to most reviews about the Prius.

The first 2 days of driving gave me low MPG starting initially at 25 MPG and finishing at 37 MPG. The last 2 days gave me about 50 MPG. I guess this normal for a new car to start with poor MPG, but the difference surprised me. I wonder if anyone had similar results. The Prius had only 7 miles on odo and was only 3 months old based on the production date.

One more question, the engine compartment makes some noise every time I open the door before a drive before the car is started. I did not notice that on a test drive. I assume this is normal, but what is it?

Finally, I need to say now it's great time to buy them. I scored over 3,000 below MSRP and 2,000 below invoice on a base model. The salesman was desperate to sell anything one hour before closing time last day of the month.

My plan B was used but clean 2010 with 30,000 miles I saw on ebay (Houston Toyota dealership). The buy it now price was $18,000 and no one bought it.

2. Barnardf

Barnardf Sail into the Mystic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The noise you hear when opening the door is the brake boost pump. It brings the boost to the appropriae level so you have brakes as soon as you start the car. Wish my 2003 PT Cruiser had the same. Its brakes are down right dangerous for a minute or two after start up. Makes it "interesting" backing out of the garage and down my sloping driveway some mornings!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :welcome: your mileage should keep in proving as you break it in. you're right, now is the time and prius is the car!:rockon:

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I has nothing to do with the car being new. Your MPG indicator is going to average your fuel use over a number of miles. The more miles you drive at 50mpg (like highways) the higher your MPG indicator will go. All of our cars tend to start off a bit low after a refill but once you have a couple hundred miles on that tank the MPG indicator won't fluctuate as much and you should see a steady 45-55mpg on the indicator.

5. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :welcome:
    Please refer to the page-31 of owners manual, "Sounds and vibrations specific to a hybrid vehicle".

Ken@Japan

6. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ken, I read the manual cover to cover on the first day. I did not think this specific noise was mentioned or explained. I went back to the page 31 and nothing is mentioned about opening driver's door nor pressurizing brakes. The manual talks about "sounds from hybrid system" while opening "back door" (whatever that means). Thanks for your help though.

7. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!
    BTW, I never noticed a braking issue after start in my previous "normal" cars. Maybe the vacuum brake servo leaked in your PT cruiser?

8. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!
    One thing I neglected to mention that the tires in the new Prius were pumped to only 30 PSI, but had "N2" valve caps! I added a precious mixture of 78% N2 and 21% O2 :) to 42/38 PSI. But I did not think this would explain the huge difference in MPG. Maybe extra gas went in charging batteries that were lowish from the beginning?