1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bondo, Apr 25, 2011.

1. bondo

bondo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello new 2011 Prius III owner with NAV. Old motor head here so trying to get used to it! Want to get front seat covers, but $$$$ dang expensive. Open to hear what other people have and had good and bad luck with.
    Thanks and look forward to many good miles with it. Commuter car for me, drive 50 miles one way to work each day.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings and Welcome Aboard!!
    :welcome:

If you drive that much to and from work...you're going to love the car!
    Best of luck!

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats--enjoy.

4. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new ride. I first considered it to be a great tool and now I think it's a great car. It keeps me interested.

5. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    :welcome:
    If you check my blog linked below there are some articles that might be of interest to you. Please check it out.
    A lot of information also available here in the forum, "search" will help you find out what you need.

6. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congrats on your new Prius and welcome to PriusChat. I don't have aftermarket seatcovers, but someone will share their experience.

Enjoy the high MPGs, technology and low-emissions.

7. bondo

bondo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you all for you replys, I am trully loving the car so far. 300 miles as of today and getting better each day. It is a challenge keeping that little doohicky MPG bar graph thingy at the 50MPG or higher range! I will post my NAV question in the proper forum, but so far nothing major to complain about, I will say the ride is much better than the 2008 Touring model I was looking at. I do agree the older models have the appearance of more interior room, but I do like the look of the newer models center console. For my commute each day I do not see any need to press the PWR mode switch, but if I feel a bit racey may have to do it to give that porsche guy a good laugh :p. Hope to get a week of driving on a tank of gas, we will see, with a 100 mile round trip commute each day. Just ordered my front seat covers so looking forward to getting them on.
    Thanks again....Bondo©

8. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have trouble keeping my little doohicky thingy in range too.:D

9. Paskoo

Paskoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New owner here sharing a nice surprise at the gas station:

Today I bought a Basic Prius II without much hassle with the dealer. He asked for $24160 for Prius II and I paid what he asked. He did a favor and removed the dealer destination charge ($760) without me asking for it. It is a basic commuter car for me and I did not need navigation for an extra $2000 or so. I commute five days from Long Island to New Jersey (one way 60 miles) and I know where I am going.

After driving from home to my regular gas station in New Jersey, I paid $5.01 to top off the tank. What a nice surprise. I am used to paying approximately $15 for my 2004 Nissan Sentra for this kind of mileage. Note: I put 93 Octane in the Sentra since it already has 160K miles on it and engine knocks with 87 Octane.

From my first experience on my first trip in the new Prius, it seems that MPG is more than the advertised 51/48. I drove approximately 80 miles and it cost $5.01 (@ 3.89/gallon regular unleaded).

Is anybody else on the board has similar experience?
    Does the price seem right for a Prius II @24160 (No dealer destination charge)?
    (Just added New York state tax to the sticker price and also the registration and title fees)

10. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do 40 miles each way in my commute with a 400 ft elevation change from home to work. I usually get better than 50mpg combined without much effort. Bad weather (hot or cold, and precip) will drive that number down, but never lower than 48. Be sure to research and experiment with tire pressures if you want to bump up the mileage.

As to the seat covers, I got leather, so not really an issue.

Congrats on the new ride.

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, Paskoo, if your 24k is OTR you weren't ripped off, but it wasn't a great deal.

12. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to the "green" side.

13. Paskoo

Paskoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is the update:

14. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, looks like there wasn't anything to add in the update? :D Just kidding.

Welcome to the forum.

15. Paskoo

Paskoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is the update:

Today I had a complete round trip from Long Island to New Jersey plus a trip to Gym in the morning. This becomes a total of 136 miles from the last fill up. At my regular gas station in New Jersey, I paid $10 bucks in gas to top it off. At $3.78 a gallon, it becomes 51.4 MPG. It is a little less than my previous run yesterday, but may be because I wanter to enjoy a little play with Power mode today on Southern State Parkway.

So far 226 miles and loving it on my Barcelona Red Prius II-2011. Dealer did rip me off a little but I am not alone in this category. Being ripped off by car dealers is a certain fact of life that we have to live with.