1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New personal best, OC to San Diego, averaging 63.5 MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by pardreamer, Jun 18, 2008.

1. pardreamer

pardreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just broke my old record of 62.2 MPG from OC to SD with 63.5 MPG. My last tank is 59.5 MPG.

My drive is 4 miles city street and 74 miles freeway. Hope to beat this record soon.

Attached Files:

2. redhawks48

redhawks48 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    DO WORK SON!

how fast were you driving, and how many miles do you have on your car?

3. dfyffe

dfyffe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello. Not all of us are from California. Is OC Orange County? Now to the good stuff. Besides what the other poster asked, were you using cruise? Do you do this regularly? My average in city is around 50 with my last tank being 52.31. I can't wait to hit 60+ I only have 6400 miles on mine. How many do you have. Mine is na 08, what year is yours? Please offer any tips you can for getting gas mileage that high. Thanks.

4. Picasso Moon

Picasso Moon Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    On my best tank to date also - 71.5 mpg

Don't you just love this time of year? Filled up over the weekend. Three days commuting. Suburban streets, flat, 85 F morning, 110-112 F afternoons, no A/C :eek:

Attached Files:

5. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Whats the point of driving under the speed limit becoming a road hazard for others?
    Also cant the mfd's be off like 30% from time to time?

6. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice MPG. I'd like to know your average speed.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice work so far! Let us know how the tank evens out once you hit over 400miles. :)

Ignore ProblemChild. He does nothing but complain and start trouble. I assume he is a lonely man. :(

8. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes I do complain about people like this guy flooding my threads with garbage and insults.

My post stands. Dring slower then the speed limit is dangerous and the mfd's are off. So if your going to call BS please be truthful.

9. Picasso Moon

Picasso Moon Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not to worry, he has been on my ignore list since the first time I saw him post here so I have no idea what this or any of his posts are about :D:D:D

10. Picasso Moon

Picasso Moon Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Probably in the neighborhood of 35 mph. I generally drive the speed limit which ranges between 30-45 mph. Mornings, I can usually make it the 12 miles and only stop at 3 or 4 lights. Afternoons, there are a lot more stops but I know the light timings and can generally minimize them. I normally would be getting in the low to mid 60's mpg this time of year but have been trying hard to maximize it the past few tanks. I've been experimenting with pulse & glide when there is no other traffic around (at 4:30am I can do it quite a bit) and think that has led to the increase. Keep in mind I'm in pretty ideal conditions. Dead flat roads, lower speeds, well timed lights, hot weather, I don't run the A/C (not just a Prius thing, I very seldom have run the A/C on any of the cars I've owned), little traffic or breaks in traffic that allow me to pulse & glide without becoming a traffic hazard and the mindset I'm in no big hurry to where I'm going.

11. pardreamer

pardreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can't drive under 60 MPH on most of the 5 South from Orange County to San Diego.

1. Slow: My average speed is around 60 to 64 MPH, usually 1.5 to 2 seconds behind a Semi. Am I drafting? May be, but the main reason is to drive slow without other motorists complaining. No, I don't allow any Semi behind me, if that happens, I just move out and speed up away or fall behind that Semi.

2. Coasting in Neutral on down hill stretches: On many stretches of the road when I am going down hill, I put the car in Neutral. I use the slope and some acceleration to speed up the car to about 66 MPH, and then shift the car to Neutral and allow the car to coast until the speed falls to 59 MPH and then switch back to Drive.

3. Heavy Traffic: speed around 10 to 20 MPH, mostly in EV mode. MPG goes up to 99 MPG for the 6 to 8 miles stretch.

4. City Drive: I average around 70 MPG in city drive. Top speed is about 38 MPH. Just slow acceleration, sometimes pulse and glide if no one behind me. Coasting in Neutral to red lights. Avoid using the brakes.

5. Not using A/C if outside temperature is under 72F.

I can't get the same MPG from San Diego to OC because San Diego is lower in elevation. My best is around 59 MPG.

Total miles on my car is around 13K, got the car in January. I would say my lifetime average is around 57 MPG.

No, the computer is not wrong. I computed my first 10 tanks and the computer is about 1 MPG too high. But could it be that the gas stations aren't giving you enough gas? Also, when my wife drives, the computer gives her about 46 MPG.

12. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    figured that since OC to SD is mostly downhill

driving under 65 on the fwy is insane

20 on city street may be tolerable

i use the a/c 24/7 @ 73deg, :)

13. PearlDriver

PearlDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My MFD has an average 3% error after 20,000 miles. The max error was about 10% --- 1 gallon, the next tank was -0.9 gallons so they averaged out.

My average is 50.77 so the MFD average would be about 52.3.

Congrats on the 63.5!!!!

14. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good work, pardreamer! You watch Tiger play last weekend? Very exciting!

To all those who say that under 65 is insane, it's really very safe if you use pardreamer's strategy of matching the pace of a big rig and following behind 1.5-2 seconds.

Far enough behind that anything that the truck kicks up won't hit you, plenty big for merging traffic to squeeze in between (most don't stay there long and pass the truck giving you your space back), and people already expect big rigs to travel slowly so people don't tend to tailgate much.

I've followed the same strategy when I have the patience, but typically my speeds are between 65-70 so I am passing big rigs. Fuel economy is lower at ~48mpg as reported by the MFD (mine also seems to read about 1-2mpg high as compared to gas receipts and the odometer.

15. pardreamer

pardreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    One more thing I want to add, the long trip helps the MPG too because the car is warmed up. For example, if you have a 10 mile trip, then the first 2 miles has very bad MPG, essentially 20% of your drive. Since mine is around 80 miles, it is only 2.5%.

Actually I was at Torrey Pines on Saturday. Got there at 11AM, went to the range and watched the players practice. Went to the #2 green and stayed there for two hours. And then followed Tiger until the 11th hole. After that the crowd got too big so I went home and watched the rest on TV. Tiger, you expect him to make putts like on the 18th (round 4), but when he makes it, he amazes you again. I didn't expect Westwood to make his putt though. Torrey Pines was fine, they should do this again in 10 years. Good TV rating and Tiger will win his 26th Major by then.

16. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    how did you do ... SD to OC?

17. doggeroo

doggeroo Junior Member

I know this route well ... as a bicyclist. This is one of the easiest 75 miles I know. At 5:30 every evening there's a 20 to 25 mph tailwind. The route is flat to gently rolling. It doesn't get any better for high mileage braggin'. I'm sure everyone here could get these numbers on this route.

Cindy