1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEW PHEV Install!

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by gasnippr, Dec 1, 2008.

1. gasnippr

gasnippr New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am so happy to find this forum! I just had the Hymotion L5 installed in my 2005 Prius last Monday. I'm pretty certain I'm the first one in my county to go for it! I've already got a question, though. I thought that the warm-up cycle with the ICE would always start shortly after pushing the ON button. Since my L5 install, sometimes it never does. Will this be a problem in terms of not having the engine, oil, etc. warm? I generally keep the heater on at 65 degrees this time of year (the outside temperature has been in the 30-40 range in the mornings). While I'd like to use zero gas, I don't want to harm my system.

2. PeakOilGarage

PeakOilGarage Nothing less than 99.9

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If you have the heat on inside, your Hymotion Prius is much more likely to start running the ICE.

When I start my Hymotion Prius in the morning, it stays in EV mode as long as I stay at 32 mph or less. Also, don't mash the accelerator and normal stuff. But you can handle regular stop and go traffic with the ICE never coming on for about about 20-25 miles in pure EV mode.

If you do happen to trigger the ICE via a hard acceleration or a brief moment above 33 mph, then the Prius will go through a regular warm-up period. With the ScanGauge II, I typically see that the ICE will turn off at about 115-120 degrees F, which only takes about 2 minutes to reach. Then it is pure EV again as long as you stay below 33 mph.

You won't harm your Prius system. With regular driving I find that my system at some point or another goes through the warm-up phase. It really takes dedication to stay in pure EV mode the entire day. I don't even try except for special situations.

Although, if I know I am just going to be driving around in town, the speed limit everywhere is 30 or 35 mph. So I make it a point to stay in pure EV mode as much as possible.

Also, learn where your electrical outlets are around you. Use every opportunity to recharge, even if it is only 15-30 minutes. Those extra recharging periods will get you double the EV range each day.

3. jrmgkia

jrmgkia Wish I was cycling

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    and what country are you from then?

5. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Re-read what he wrote. He said County, not Country.

6. gasnippr

gasnippr New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Great advice...thank you! I live in Kitsap County (Washington state)....
    Any idea what's going on with this one? Today, while I pulled over to take a call, the car kept wanting to idle...what I mean is that it would start to shut off then come on again. It did this at least 5 times. I was enjoying my normal 65 inside heater temperature and had pulled over after driving down hill in EV mode (the car had only sat for 45 minutes after an 8 mile drive). Do I have a problem here?

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wooo Hoooo! Another washingtonian! :)

I have no idea, as I don't have the EV conversion, but I'm sure that if you go to Tony's link, above, you can shoot him any questions :)

Welcome to Prius Chat!

8. PeakOilGarage

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If your stock Prius NiMH battery is full at 8/8, you will have that behavior. That can happen after a downhill drive with regen sending energy into the NiMH stock Prius battery. I have the same situation at a stoplight at the bottom of a hill from leaving my neighborhood.

So when I am going downhill, I switch the Hymotion battery off. I actually try to get the stock Prius battery down to 5/8 before I start the downhill portion. That way I know it will only be at 7/8 at the bottom of the hill. Then when I am driving on a flat area again, I turn the Hymotion battery back on. I have gotten this routine down so good that I can do the first 3 miles in pure EV mode on just the stock battery before using any Hymotion energy. The only time the Hymotion battery is on happens when I first turn the car on, just to establish EV mode, then I flip it off until the 3 miles into my trip.

9. gasnippr

gasnippr New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're exactly right...the Prius battery is full. I'll try turning off the L5 on the downhills & using it when the road levels out. But, my understanding is that the L5 shouldn't be turned off while you're in motion. Maybe I misunderstood.

10. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    gasnippr,
    On the question on the ICE running, the heater could definitely be the cause. If you run "auto" it will run the ICE to keep you warm. If you want it to shut off I have found that after the ICE is warmed up I set the fan on 2nd or 3rd button from the LO side. Before the ICE is warmed up it will continue to run if the fan is on. I find myself in the first few miles turning the fan on when I know the ICE will be running and then shutting it off when coming to a traffic light.
    Also as Peakoil has mentioned your car should be wired for EV mode automatically and it will engage when appropriate.
    How do you like your Hymotion so far? What kind of driving and mileage have been able to achieve.
    Chris

11. PeakOilGarage

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I would say that for newbie users they should just leave the L5 battery ON full time and not mess with it. Once you have experience and a comfort level with the capabilities of the Hymotion battery, then it is ok to fine tune your use of the battery.

There is no problem with turning the battery off/on while driving. But it is best if you know the correct times to run in stock mode. The downhill strategy is an example.

12. gasnippr

gasnippr New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am loving my Hymotion, so far! It has had a few quirks, but I've been either posting to this forum or calling my installer & getting answers. So far, my mileage has really ranged all over the place. I filled up today with just 6 gallons of gas & the Prius readout said 62 mpg, while the scan gauge said 75 mpg. I believe this is low due to two factors -A. I've done significantly more freeway driving than usual and B. There's been 3 times that the L-5 system hasn't engaged on start-up, so I've just been running like a standard Prius (oh, how greedy we get!). I'll be counting the number of blinks on my LED the next time that happens & paying more attention to the 12 volt battery read on the Scangauge at the next start-up, to see what's up. Evidently, there's a software upgrade coming from Hymotion that will take care of this, if its my battery that's dipping below 11.6 volts at start-up. I've got to keep my husband from driving it, as well!!!

13. PeakOilGarage

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    gasnippr, if you have a 2005 Prius, then I am willing to bet it is the 12 volt battery. The factory 12 volt battery is not a good one. For a regular Prius, it doesn't really matter. The 12 volt battery is not critical because of the main NiMH battery. But for Hymotion, it has turned out to be a real issue.

If you get the flashing LED, try driving a few minutes so that your 12 volt gets a charge, then pull over and turn off the Prius for 4 or 5 minutes. Wait until the LED stops flashing, then startup again. See if the issue is resolved.

You might just need to replace that 12 volt battery.

FYI, the software update from Hymotion is available. Call your installer. But you will also get the CARB update which forces your Prius to do a warm-up phase.

14. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    gasnippr,
    Nice to hear you are enjoying it so far. I just filled up Sunday. I had the "flashing PIP" for 2 days. I was able to squeeze in 9.261 gallons. I'm sure the bladder (This is only the 4th time I've filled up the car with a little over 3k on the Odometer) is still stiff and the temp was in the 30s F. Even with the colder temps since October 12th the MFD showed 98.6 MPG for 908 miles. I'm sure your mileage will increase with time. Two things that have worked the best for me is to use as little throttle as possible. Even at highway speeds you should be able to see 99.9 with orange arrows frequently. And second, full grill block. It helps keep the ICE warm especially since it runs less with the Hymotion.
    I've had one instance of the Hymotion not engaging in the morning. Since I have been watching the VLT on the Scangauge and it's 11.7-11.4. I also have a 2008 with a much newer battery than you.
    Chris

15. PeakOilGarage

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    boxer93, are you monitoring water temp on your SGII? I find that if I do start the ICE when it is cold, I can first get the engine to stop at about 110 degrees F. It requires a full stop of the vehicle the first time, but after that I can slide back into EV at any time that I am below 33 mph.

This is true even if the water temp falls back down again from a lot of EV driving. It is only the first time that I need a minimum of 110 degrees F.

I have found that I can slide into EV at 40 mph if I get into stage 4 (157 degrees F) and the Hymotion battery can maintain 40 mph for the duration of the battery charge. That is great because it requires 35 mph to engage the cruise control.

16. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    PeakOil,
    Yes the fWt is one of my 4 gauges (VLT, MPG Current trip and EV Mode are the other 3) I find that the 109-110 fWt is one of the first 'stages' I also see 157fWt quite often. Today with 55F ambient I saw 170fWt. In my case I do not see EV ON over 32MPH. With the orange arrows(battery power) only on the MFD I do get battery propulsion quite often over 32MPH. I always assume that is Warp Steath or Super Highway Mode. On a level highway I have held SHM for a couple of miles at 65-70MPH. The display that I am seeing more of is with the battery and ICE providing propulsion and the MFD reads 99.9 MPG
    Chris

17. PeakOilGarage

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    What is Super Highway Mode? That is a new term for me.

Is that when it is battery power, 960 RPM, 9,999 MPG and 0.00 GPH? I see that a lot on the highway when it is flat to slightly downhill.

18. sjensen98104

sjensen98104 Hymotion Lab Rat

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi all,

My 2004 just got the Hymotion kit installed last week. So far, so good. No errors or software issues yet. When the Hymotion system is operating, I'm seeing about 81 mpg which is about double what I was getting. I drive about about 60% freeway with significant hills and Seattle temps are now in the 40s and 50s, so I expect to see better mileage in the Spring and Summer.

One observation is that when the Hymotion is off, my stock Hybrid system seems to be delivering Summer mileage of about 50mpg. Maybe its because the car is already warmed up and the stock battery is fully charged. Anyone else notice this?

PS I've done the full grill block with temps never exceeding 185. Big thumbs up for minimizing ICE warm ups.

PPS For Seattle commuters, Metro is offering electric car stalls (reservable although they are unused right now) with free electric at their Park & Rides.

19. PeakOilGarage

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    sjensen98104, welcome to the Hymotion club. I live just down the hill from you near Issaquah.

I have never seen the grill block in person. If you have a chance, I'd like to meet and see it up close.

20. gasnippr

gasnippr New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Peak Oil- I was told by my installer, that my 12 volt battery may be weakening. I think I'll wait to get the firmware upgrade before I change out the 12 volt battery as that sounds like a fairly big deal. Indeed, I counted 14 LED blips & the battery at start up said 11.8. I always drive with my lights on & just let the car start with the lights on. But, I'll stop doing that. Until I get the firmware up-date, I'll start the car with the L5 off (its so cold here now & really do want some heat!), and after warm-up turn on the L5.
    I'm assuming that you had your Hymotion installed at the Green Car Company in Bellevue. When I spoke with Mike, the technician, today...he didn't indicate that the update was available yet. What is the CARB update?