1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new podcast with Prius episode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PaulLev, Oct 24, 2006.

1. PaulLev

PaulLev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check out my new 5-minute podcast - Prius and the Reunion of Talking and Walking - it's about how my Prius + Bluetooth makes me feel as if the Prius is a cell phone I can sit in and drive - which in my book is a good thing...

Light On Light Through

2. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul Levinson @ Oct 23 2006, 10:27 PM) [snapback]337201[/snapback]</div>
    Just a question. The other day while sitting in a left turn lane waiting for a green light, 5 cars passed the other way. Of the 5 cars, 4 were people chatting on their cell phones (none apparently had bluetooth). Who is everybody talking to as they drive? I use the phone occasionally to call home if I'm late, etc. , but I see people all day everyday, just criusing and chatting. Agreed bluetooth is a great thing, but who does everybody find THAT interesting to talk to, while behind the wheel? How did people ever drive before cell phones? Answer: Safer. :unsure:

3. PaulLev

PaulLev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Oct 24 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]337519[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I saw a survey a couple of months ago that identified the main source of driver distraction as eating when driving - not talking on the phone.

But I think the nice thing about Bluetooth in the Prius is that talking that way is no different to the driver than talking to a passenger. And given the inevitable family arguments that happen when you're driving kids to the school or whatever, I would bet that talking on the Bluetooth is often less distracting than talking with passengers.

Anyway - thanks for the comment and hope you enjoyed the podcast. If you're interested in my extended views on the cellphone and its impact on our lives, you might want to take a look at my 2004 book, Cellphone: The Story of the World's Most Mobile Medium

Paul

4. benlenz

benlenz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Oct 24 2006, 12:24 PM) [snapback]337519[/snapback]</div>
    I couldn't agree more. I think they must all be talking to people in OTHER cars. It's the only way it makes sense. :D

I have a solution. With so many new phones having GPS built in, they should make phones so they won't work if they're moving faster than 5 mph. That would solve the problem :lol:

Of course they wouldn't sell many of that model. It would have to be legislated, and who wants to go down that road? :p