1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Price Owner + Hypermiling Addict?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by frayz, Jun 25, 2010.

1. frayz

frayz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone, Just registered and figured I would stop in and try to find some tips/tricks.
    I'm 25 and work as a warehouse supervisor, i stuntride motorcycles. I just bought a 08 white prius base model. I drive 45 miles to work one way(round trip of 90 miles). Its mixed driving 25 miles of city-ish(55-45-35-55-35-55) then about 20 of interstate(69-70mph)
    I've only had the car for about 4 weeks, but i get 52-59mpg on my avg for the day. And i'm addicted. Going to up the tire pressure and trying the pulse/glide techniche, etc etc.

Looking for all the things i can do(within decent reason to not nullify my warranty) to get best possible gas mileage. Reading about 70+mpgers and thats what i want!!

So i'm curious as to best way to PULSE. I just cant seem to find the spot that uses the least amount of fuel to pulse up to speed.

Also, what is the "super highway mode" This could greatly improve my overall average.

Thanks for all the information.(hopefully)

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :welcome: Welcome to Priuschat!!
    Get comfy. There's a lot to read, especially with the list of desires you have listed. There are also different camps in the mileage population.

Personally, I'm in the "just drive it" camp. At least, for a while. My opinion is that you have to get to know the car as a car before you can fully utilize it. That is, develop and "norm" before you seek the "above norm." To that point, if you look at my mileage spreadsheet in my signature, you will see a steady mileage improvement year-over-year. That was how I was able to achieve my 70+ tanks.

However, I an appreciate your desire to start now. So:
    Gen II Prius Fuel Economy - PriusChat Forums
    Gen II Prius Modifications - PriusChat Forums
    Newbie Forum - PriusChat Forums

These forums will hold the bulk of the information you are looking for. It's better to read the established threads than to start new ones. The established ones already have the back-n-forth discussions and differing opinions / techniques.

Good luck and keep us posted.

3. frayz

frayz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! Yeah i've definately been doing some digging around the site. going to do some trolling around. Guessing I should invest in the scangauge. And have thought of doing a spreedsheet and to see that i'm not abnormal for that. That is starting next week too.

4. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 and welcome to the forum.