1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prime Advanced. No AM or FM but XM works?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Critical, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Critical

Critical Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I picked up my new silver Prime Advanced last weekend. I took it to the dealer today to install a few accessories (alarm, sills, body side mouldings, etc). I noticed AM and FM just have static and no stations can be detected. I don’t normally listen to the radio so I don’t know if the problem existed upon delivery. In the old days, this would be indicative of the antenna not being connected. XM works. Is this something that I can easily address or do I need to waste time at the service department again? I wonder if the alarm installation caused the problem today.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I tried them, I found the radio controls a little confusing. My memory is they are heavy into "seek" mode and could not find a regular tuning dial.

Let me suggest re-reading the Owner's Manual section and doing some 'open book' testing. If it still doesn't work, you'll be able to show the problem to the service rep including chapter and verse.

Bob Wilson

3. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    there's a method to have the radio built a station list (it will prescan the entire frequency range and build you a list of everything it can hear, along with the rds identifying data if it has it. kind of handy really). if you do that and it shows up nothing, theres probably something wrong in the radio (antenna, lna, mixer, etc.), you'll need to have the dealer fix it. heck, I live right near NYC. I can usually pick am up without even having an antenna connected.

Mark57 likes this.
  4. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I also had to do a channel scan. Both AM & FM worked before that if you went directly to the station number.

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Regardless of the cause, it's still under warranty. Take it in.
    Assuming that you have tried a "seek" on both bands and it finds nothing.

There may be a different antenna connection for AM/FM versus XM.

P.S. Remember that letting the car sit with your new alarm ENABLED will add a significant battery drain and you may not be able to leave it like that for more than a week at a time.