1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius 2015 Owner Observations (and questions)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sluzbenik, May 9, 2016.

1. sluzbenik

sluzbenik New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    So, I'm really digging my 2015 Prius I just bought with <9000 miles. I've already read up on the hypermileing, and discovered that I am doing a lot better in the burbs on mileage by staying in normal, rather than econ mode. I hit 60 for a few hours yesterday, but once I got into the city, that dropped to 57. I'm unsure whether to try econ mode or stay in normal for congested city driving. I'm pretty sure I could get the same mileage with power mode on for more pick-up now that I know how to coast properly. Power mode is fun! That electric torque is great.

Some things I have issues with though, maybe someone can comment:
    1) I can never get all the arrows to disappear while gliding. The best I can do is a smidgen of electric power to the engine. Neutral is too risky in my opinion, you might need the power. I guess this is close enough?
    2) When I break to a stop, I'm having a really hard time avoiding the roll forward motion of the chassis in this car. Everyone knows to back off the break a tad to avoid that in most cars, but in this one I just can't do it unless I'm already only moving at 3 mph or so...
    3) I updated the damn Entune and now my Bluetooth is breaking up...I have a Nexus 6p and everything was working fine before the update. I'm not sure how related they are.
    4) Is there any way to get lifetime mileage for the car other than using a trip A or B? Haven't found one in the manual yet.

Also if anyone's interested, I have a really nice AutomateIt script for you Android users. It uses the magnetic field from my phone car mount to start bluetooth, deactivate Wifi, start my hotspot, etc. Then it uses a new "personal activity" variable which detects a walking motion to kill everything. It also starts a car mode app I've been trying, but you can delete that or change it to whatever car mode app you like.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! a smidge of ev is perfect, very little wasted energy. sorry, no lifetime mileage unless you record manually all your phil ups. all the best!(y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1) Yes, it's difficult if not impossible to make those cartoon arrows disappear. A much better way to monitor coasting is to switch to the HSI display (See manual if you don't know how... ) and make the indicator bar disappear into its zero point when you want to coast freely. Close on either side is ok, too.
    2) I don't understand. If you mean it's hard to back off the brake pedal just enough to make the make the very last moment of a stop feel really smooth, I agree. That's annoying, but admittedly not important.
    4) Listen to Bisco's suggestion. That's still the best method.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The more you drive it the more you'll realize, the ECO, PWR and Normal (neither button pushed) don't really do a lot, other than change pedal travel. And yeah, Normal is just fine.

stormchaser likes this.