1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius and New Member to Board!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by salsa, May 22, 2007.

1. salsa

salsa New Member

Hello everyone!

I just bought my first Prius last week as a graduation gift to myself, and am very interested in doing all I can to get the best I can out of it, including coming to this board. My Prius is a 2007 base package (all i could afford, but I think a little prius is better than none at all!) standard edition that is black in color.

I just have a few questions after reading this board, and things I want to make sure of.

First, because I got only the base package, is there anyway I can update if I ever get the cash? I would really like the VSC and maybe an aux outlet installed.

Also, someone mentioned something somewhere about being able to make sure it is off. Because it is so quiet, I often second guess myself on this. If the computer is off, the car is off, correct? I haven't had any problems yet, but its just a concern.

Should I know anything else about the gas bladder except not to top off and to get gas before its completely full?

Finally, has anyone without added protection had any problems with the exterior paint?

Thanks! I'll probably have more questions as time goes on.

-Elise

2. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(salsa @ May 22 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]447751[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome, Elise, and congratulations!

You can't add VSC, but an aux outlet wouldn't be hard. Some things are simply "integral" to HSD as they're built.

Yes, if the computer's off (screen blank/not lit), the car's off.

Bladder: I carefully top off so's to get most accurate MPG readings per tank (doesn't always work, though, especially when it's hot, hot, HOT!).

Yes, the paint on the front of the car, around the grille and lower hood, shows stone chips notoriously easily. MANY have opted for either a vinyl "bra" or a clear-coat protectant. I've had vinyl bras on all four of my Priuses, and it's paid off at resale time.

In what field did you graduate? (Congrats on that, too, of course.)

We have several Wisconsinites around. Soon one named galaxee will probably see your post and make herself known to you (she's at Duke U. now).

You'll also undoubtedly hear fromn one of our Black Prius Chicks, a motley crew if one ever existed. Beware! :rolleyes:

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Elise, welcome to PriusChat! Congratulations on graduation and your new Prius. UW Madison here.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ May 22 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]447787[/snapback]</div>
    Jack's not completely correct. You can turn off the Multi-Function Display so it is dark while the car is running. But if you don't see the word Ready up near the odometer, the car isn't running in the sense that it will move (accessories/radio may still be on.) You will know the car is well and truly off if the only light you see is a little car with a key shape in it flashing slowly. That means the engine immobilizer is on and the car is off.

4. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How do you turn off the MFD when parked and listening to the radio?

5. salsa

salsa New Member

Thanks everyone for all the answers!

and for the one who asked...I graduated with my BA in political science.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(salsa @ May 22 2007, 08:58 PM) [snapback]447751[/snapback]</div>
    Elise, buying gas before the bladder is completely full is the best advice I've heard in a long time. :D

I have found that Magnetic Gray attracts chips and scratches. I have very small "random" scratches on the left front fender and a couple of larger ones (still "small") on the right rear door. I understand that scratches (and dings) happen but the problem is the WHITE primer. I added the rear bumper applique to save wear from loading.

I am giving serious consideration to the 3M plastic for the hood. One drawback is that there are 2 installers around but they aren't close to me. The second is the price. I read here of something like $400-$500.

Would flexible magnets in body panel sheet size be a viable option? If so, where would one go to buy this stuff?

7. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ May 22 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]447787[/snapback]</div>
    I heard that! :eek: Be nice.

Welcome and congratulations, Salsa!! Feel free to join the Cool Chicks w/Black Prius Club. :) The rest of them are around here somewhere...

When the computer/MFD screen is off, that doesn't necessarily mean the car is powered off, as you can shut off the screen so it's black but keep the car on. The best way to be sure you power the car off is to make sure no lights are on inside (on the dash, power button, etc) and make it a habit to hit the power button after you've parked the car. Worst thing that could happen if you leave it on is (assuming there's a enough gas) the battery would run down and the engine would cycle on periodically to fill it back up and so on until you eventually come back out and discover it's still on. :)

I've never experienced any problems with the fuel bladder and I've been making it a habit (a bad one perhaps?) to top off another 1/2 gallon or so after the automatic shut off. No fuel spillage or over fillage (is that a word?) here.

I haven't had any problems with the exterior paint either, other than the usual parking lot scratches and dings that I barely notice. I only notice them when someone else points them out to me, that's how small they are and how little they really matter to me. :)