1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Arrives Soon - Which Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gordonr, Feb 27, 2006.

1. gordonr

gordonr Member

We are soon to be a two Prius family with the second one arriving any day now. Our '05 has been great, but I never did anything about the OEM tires (but did get some nice Nokian WR's on steel rims for winter).

Before #2 arrives, I decided to look into getting a different set of rubber. It turns out that two local tire chains were very willing to offer a pretty decent trade (about $40/tire) on the OEM tires (one place said the car had to have less than 50 miles and the other said less than 500 miles).

Between the two shops, my choices seem to be either the Goodyear Comfor Tred, Michelin Harmony, Nokian i3 or Nokian NRHi. I will probably get another set of winter tires for Prius #2, so they don't have to do double duty in the winter.

What do folk recommend?

2. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

I'm sure you are aware by now that the OEMs are marginal tires at best. I bought the Goodyear Assurance Tripletreads this January with 26000 miles on the Prius. I have been very very happy with them so far. The wet and dry traction is much better, and I can take a turn faster than 15 mph without the tires squeeling.
    That's my two cents.
    Flyingprius

3. jchu

jchu New Member

Also running the Goodyear TT's. Very happy with them with 24k miles on them. As an all weather tire they are great and probably better than the ComfortTreds though you have to go slightly different on the recommended size. Can look and see what I put on if you want. However, from what little I've read over a year and a half on Priuschat, as far as all-weather tires go the Michelin Hydroedge might be a bit better and come in the recommended size. (I know... they are not on your list)

My 2 cents

4. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Quiet and good grip. You can't beat the ComforTreds in my opinion. But, I'm biased!

5. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For my not yet delivered Prius, I ordered Vredestein Quatrac 2 tires, size 205/55 R 16.
    These are all season tires, which have much better grip on snow and ice than summer tires. A little less though than real winter tires, but these will do great in summer too.
    Now all I have to do is wait (and see) :angry:

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would go with the goodyear comforthreads or triplethreads.. both very good high end tires. The triplethreads will do rain, ice, and dry very well. the assurance comforthreads will do everything well too.. but they don't have that little magical channel designed for ice. They still handle well though. I played on ice and snow where trucks were slideing.. *weeee*