1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius, Bad radio and resolve for the last two months!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 14T shelley, Jun 5, 2013.

1. 14T shelley

14T shelley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bought a new Prius 3 on March 31 with the standard level 3 radio. Within a week my wife noticed the bluetooth didn't always connect to the phone. We contacted the dealer and they re-paired the phone. This did NOT repair the issue. We returned a radio issue checklist that they gave my wife and we have been waiting ever since. Now the bluetooth Never works and locks up the phone so it won't work and the radio locks up and won't respond to the point that we have to pull over, shut the car off and restart the car to make the radio work again. The sirius radio cuts out, the FM radio is weak and we have never even tried to pair the radio or whatever they call it to the internet.
    The dealer said that a new radio is on its way from....not Toyota, they passed it off to Panasonic who claims the radio has been shipped from Japan.. Not in stock in the US!!! Also a new bluetooth interface is on its way from somewhere but the dealer can't get any shipping or tracking info from toyota as to when it might arrive.
    This poor factory service ( I am not blaming the Dealer..yet) might be tolerable if not for the fact that the selling dealer is 1 1/2 hours away and my wife drives A LOT. The car is due for its 5k service this week and we are still waiting for repair parts. We are VERY DISAPPOINTED in the corporate support. On my Ford when the radio had issues it was repaced within 48 hours with no BS and no waiting for 3rd party parts.
    Just got a letter from Sirius that my free trial is about to expire. What a joke...its NEVER worked right :( How do I get Toyota's attention in an effective way....short of driving the car through the dealers showroom.
    End of rant

Bill

2. dragonfly13

dragonfly13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have noticed the same problem. My Bluetooth has paired with mine a few times. The thing that really frost my buns in the GPS. I'd like to know why you can't make changes on the fly. Contacted dealer about that and was told "it's a safety issue". I said I understand but can you tell me it's safe to have to pull over on a four lane highway to make a change and pull out into traffic? They had no comment. Toyota could have at least put a censer in the passenger so they could make changes. My wife does it all the time on our Garmin. Let us all know if you get the problem solved.

3. dragonfly13

dragonfly13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After reading this I went out today shopping and turned on the Bluetooth. The phone paired up but each time I got two sounds when it connected. I made and received several calls with no problem and radio did not get hung up. However at one location I stayed in the car and tried to listen to both iheart and pandora radio and neither worked. I checked to see of the phone could receive them alone and both worked with no problem. Toyota had better get off there butt and make sure "enturn" is working if they expect us to pay for it after the 3 year trail.

4. 14T shelley

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The dealership called today and basically said that corporate would not give them a straight answer about the replacement radio so they made an appointment with us for this Friday and they are planning to pull the radio out of a new car and install it in ours! If this is how Toyota treats its dealers its a good thing they make reliable cars. I would hate to get this run-around an a mechanical issue. I am now looking seriously at an extended warantee as it will give me a safety net if I ever have a mechanical issue and get the "we shipped the parts" but can't prove it problem as the extended policy includes a rental while the car is being repaired.

Bill

5. 14T shelley

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update: The dealer did just what he promised to do, the radio & bluetooth were swapped out from another car. The radio now is working without freezing and the bluetooth is working properly again!! Its nice to have a dealership that "grabs the bull by the horns" when Panasonic and Toyota corporate just point fingers at each other.

Bill