1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Batteries install with pictures.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by roccostud, Mar 7, 2020.

1. roccostud

roccostud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't know if this is the correct part of the forum to post so please move or advise if it is not in the right place.

I am a new member and I have lurked for a few years now. after a triangle of death and low block 6 voltage code i began looking at my options for this car. Since i have gown to appreciate this car and feel it is a rather fantastic runabout car for commuting and city driving needs I wanted to keep it going as I like to fix stuff rather than throw it away! And since my wife and i plan to pay our house off in a few years it was cheaper in the long run to replace my HV batteries. After searching and more searching i decided to go with the New Prius Batteries kit. A few weeks go by and I have a heavy box on my porch!

[​IMG]

disassembly and verification of my problem. honestly i cant remember what cell it was in block 6 but it was at 6.5V the batteries all had a 2006 date code so I don't know if this was the original and the owner pulled the wool over my eyes or if it was re conditioned in the car, or from another 06ish car. the batteries had some markings that seemed to suggest that it was disassembled or re-conditioned. i figured 55k miles after a re condition not bad.
    [​IMG]

comparing the modules next to each other.
    [​IMG]

Assembling the modules in the pack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hooking up the temperature sensors. ( i ended up mounting them on top of the pack as the directions suggested seems to work just fine )
    [​IMG]

Installing the buss bars ( they seem to be nickle coated copper if anyone wants to know. ) ended up buying a better in-lb torque wrench since i didn't trust my harbor freight one yay amazon prime!
    [​IMG]

Probably the hardest part. mounting the wires for the disconnect fuse. since the modules are different you have to move the wires closer to the fuse. they are stiff and its a challenge. i tried to see if you can move them over to the next set of modules but they are too short! its aftermarket, make it work! i wish a had a picture of the end result but i don't sorry.
    [​IMG]

Another challenge and maybe feedback for the creator of this kit. is to offer some more of the larger covers that cover the buss bars and harness.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you can see here the disconnect fuse wires are really scrunched up now. with my dads help as he is a good set of eyes when I'm struggling to get something work work. he said "hey bend that sheetmetal over a bit" great idea Dad!
    [​IMG]

Everything is back in. i left out the trim so i can find my water leaks in the trunk area :(
    [​IMG]

It verks!!!! Currently 200 miles in and it runs great. I'll update as i go and see how this works out.
    [​IMG]

Over all it was a success!, you do have to be creative with some of the wiring as it fits a little different than stock. the kit came with extras some covers and other little hardware bits. You are sent a PDF of the manual DO read through it first and you will have a successful battery replacement.

GrGramps, SFO, Raytheeagle and 3 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, great write up, congrats and thanks!(y)

3. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    SWEET:)

Very nice!

For all the right reasons and in all the right places, nothing like a good fresh set of batts!

4. roccostud

roccostud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    IF anyone wants to know I'm at 20K miles and no real issues with the New Prius batteries., I've been through a second 12v battery and now some other typical high mileage Prius issues like oil consumption but the battery is working great.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @roccostud do you still have the pics from first post? Maybe copy/paste the texts and reembed the pics? Or is it some sort of PhotoBucket nightmare?

6. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I don't see the pictures either. and the URL links are D. E. A. D.

7. roccostud

roccostud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sorry those interested in the photos I don’t frequent this site much. It’s definitely the host site that I used to post the photos. unfortunately Priuschat does not allow me to edit a post and fix the broken links, if your interested in the photos I’ll se about sharing a link to them on google drrive or something or if you had something you wanted to see I’ll see if I have a photo of it.

8. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also, Dropbox is free for casual users and you could then just post a folder with the files as a public view option. Easy to use.