1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius - braking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimfnc, May 26, 2007.

1. jimfnc

jimfnc New Member

New 2007 - 2 days on it.
    When I brake, to me it has a very slight shudder holding the steering wheel.
    Is this normal (like part of the charging system) ??
    Have not driven a car this small in years.
    Love it so far.

2nd question - anything that can be put on display screen to take out the glare?
    Cannot see during noon, afternoon driving.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    not it's not normal. You shouldn't feel a shudder through the steering wheel when braking.

You can buy a hood that helps shade the screen from ebay. I believe the seller is robin? (search Prius Hoods at ebay).

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You shouldn't feel a shudder. Friction braking starts around 7 mph. Above that it's regenerative braking, unless it's an emergency stop.

On the other hand, since the brakes see so little use, the front rotors will sometimes rust a bit, so when you slow below 7 mph you hear a crunchy sound and the braking isn't smooth. Take a look at the front disks through your wheels. If they are rusty, don't worry, a little stop-and-go traffic will have them polished smooth in no time.

You shouldn't feel a shudder. Friction braking starts around 7 mph. Above that it's regenerative braking, unless it's an emergency stop.

On the other hand, since the brakes see so little use, the front rotors will sometimes rust a bit, so when you slow below 7 mph you hear a crunchy sound and the braking isn't smooth. Take a look at the front disks through your wheels. If they are rusty, don't worry, a little stop-and-go traffic will have them polished smooth in no time.

4. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I sometimes feel a slight and very quick pull on the steering wheel when I first start regen braking. I think it's because the braking force originates upstream of the axle differential instead of at each wheel like the frictions brakes. It doesn't bother me at all.

5. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tanglefoot @ May 28 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]450984[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with tanglefoot, sometimes when applying the brakes there will be a slight pull. usually to the left, not every time, just once in a while. I just ignore it.