1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Buyer... A Teen?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ptpiz, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

Thats right. I am a 16 year old teen ready to buy my first car. Now, i am not one of those stupid teens that gets a FAST car to street race and kill yourself in. I am a smart consumer and LOVE technology. I have researched every car and decided a month ago that I was going to buy a 2004 toyota prius. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE CAR!

I even went to go test drive the car at a dealership (I am surprised they even had one) and it was amazing. A picture of me test driving the car is located below. I couldn't possibly ask for more. It even has the features of an expensive luxury car. I am going to a few dealerships this weekend to find the best price and buy the car on late saturday afternoon.

I am extremely upset that they are EXTREMELY under-produced, but does anyone know an estimate of when I can get my BLACK Prius with Package 9? I really wanted to receive it before the Summer, but hearing what some people have said is getting me nervous.

Do different dealerships get a different amount? Because, I called one dealer and they said that I could get my Prius the way I want in 4 - 6 weeks??? This doesn't make sense to me? Are they just lying because they want me to purchase from them or what?

Please give me some feedback on this or email me. I also wanted to know what was the best way to hook up my 30 GB iPod to the prius as well. Thanks again! VISIT MY WEBSITE! 8) 8)

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Yeah, I think I'd be inclined to take that with a grain of salt...........rock salt. OTOH, if the dealer is sincere, then there should be no problem getting the dealer to put the "4-6 week delivery" thing in writing.

Welcome to PriusChat!

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh my young friend...great choice, but bad info so far and poor luck. You will be very very lucky to get a car before summer. In fact, word has it that dealers have been instructed to not take any more orders for the '04 model--they can start taking names for the '05, which no one expects to roll out until Sept. or Oct.

There are cars out there to be had, but they're hard to find and/or marked up WELL above MSRP. The best price you're likely to find is MSRP, and be very very cautious to get in writing that you do not want any port add ons that you don't specifically request. Watch out for financing rip offs and warranty rip offs.

If you wanna be a really really smart young man consider a '01-'03 Prius. Still great cars, if not on level with the '04, but available a lot cheaper. You can save the rest of your $$ for college.

4. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

I would NEVER go for a 01-03 prius. They look like crap, dont get as well of milage, and function WORSE in every aspect possible. I don't know about you guys but, I am someone who always likes to have the BEST possible so that I can enjoy it and not have any regrets.

I am just going to have to wait until whenever the Prius comes out, because it is the PERFECT car for me (because I care about all the technology in the new car that the old one didn't have).

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First of all, welcome to PriusChat!

Actually, depending on who you talk to, actual MPG might be better in the Classics than in the 04. I agree that the 04 offers a lot more "goodies" than the classic, but the functionality of the Classic has never come into question. Ask Wolfman, he took his on a 1,500 mile trek recently.

Finally, good luck finding your Prius - hopefully your part of the country is not a Prius-hungry area, but your area dealers did well selling the Classic Prius (that's how allocations are determined for the 04s). The rest of your questions can probably be answered by doing some poking around the forums and searching some on the site.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got both a classic ('02) and an '04. At this stage in the game, I'd say mileage is comparable, with the '04 edging out by 1-2mpg. When it comes to the availability time as well as amount of money spent, that 1-2mpg may not be worth it - especially for a first car. Given that statistically you're very likely to be involved in an accident with the car, perhaps the safety of the '04 would be a plus. But if you were considering the loss amount, the classic would be the better financial gamble.

One feature I enjoyed in the Classic that isn't much mentioned is that the MG2 torque seems more readily available when I stomp it, where as w/ the '04, there's a slight lag until the engine comes up to speed. I've learned to compensate, but in general, still feel the '02 is more "responsive" to the pedal. The '02 also has a longer oil-change interval, and after just checking the dipstick on my '04, it doesn't seem to dirty the oil as quickly (the '04 was a light brown, but I could smell the gas in it, where as I don't recall that w/ my '02 at 4500 miles).

Don't get your hopes up on getting a #9 anytime soon at any rate. You may need to settle for a lower package. It may not be "the best", but most kids your age don't get "the best" first time around either. :)

-Rick
    '04 w/ 4600 miles and '02 w/ 35,000 miles.

7. Riffraft

Riffraft New Member

You can find one it just takes some work

Ptpiz don't get discouraged, they are out there if you look hard enough. It took me about 2 weeks after I decided on buying to get mine. It is true some luck was involved and I had to be more open minded on the options (got white instead of silver, option package 4 instead of 3). Even with luck involved I got a call from another dealership offering me a car the day after I bought mine. I live in southern California so it isn't like there isn't a shortage out here, but I called every dealership in the state and most in the surrounding states (AZ, NM, NV) and left my name and number and talked up the Sales guy in hopes and getting a call back. Well it worked I have received 3 calls offering me cars since I got mine. So don't give up and I recommend that you go to the Toyota website and start looking up all the Dealerships in your state and making calls.

Good Luck!

8. montolchik

montolchik New Member

My first car was an '88 Olds Cutlass Ciera that had trouble running when the air was remotely moist. I didn't even get that until I was a junior in college. Before that, I had to walk . . . three miles up hill (Appalachian college town) to get to work.

If you can afford a new Prius, I say go for it. The sticker price is just the first cost at owning a car: insurance and maintenance have to be figured into how much you can afford.

As for the iPod, I have read that there is a cassette deck adaptor, so you should be able to use the upgraded stereo for using the iPod. If not here at PriusChat, the Yahoo Prius groups did talk about connecting iPods.

Buying a used Classic Prius is a very good option. They're not much worse in performance and they can be found at good prices. One thing I've found out is that Toyota puts out good, reliable cars no matter the model or year.

9. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

Thanks for the help guys. I am in a HUGE HURRY to get a car because, well... I am an anxious teen of course. But, I WILL NOT SACRIFICE package 9. I live in FL and If i have to buy the car from georgia or even farther, IT DOESNT MATTER. I juts HAVE TO get BLACK withpackage 9... END OF STORY.

Im sorry if I sound mean or anything, i am not really trying to be. Well, does anyone know of a state nearby that has PRIUS available, or can have them VERY soon? Also, If i buy it OUT of state.... DO I HAVE TO PAY TAXES?

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Buying out of state, yes, you do have to pay Florida taxes, but not sales tax of the state where you buy it.

As far as finding one, I would do what Riffraft suggested - get on Toyota.com and start calling or faxing dealers. There are people on PriusChat who live on the East Coast and have ordered from Carson Toyota in Southern California and other far away states. Just call around and see what you can find. A couple of hours on the phone might save you a couple of months of waiting.

And we know you're not trying to sound mean, you just sound really really excited - :multi:

11. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

4-6 weeks?

I just called all of the dealers in the local area (within a 30 min. drive) and they all said that if I place my order for a BLACK prius with PACKAGE #9 it will take 4-6 weeks. They have told me that Toyota has almost caught up with the orders that they have recieved. Has anyone JUST ordered a Prius recently? I would really like to know if this is true. Maybe in Florida, they have caught up with demand.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: 4-6 weeks?

Haven't dealt much with car dealers have you!! The SE is WAY behind on orders. Look at Dianne's recent posts on this forum--someone just inquired about a package #3 I think it was--50 orders at HER dealership alone in line for just that package, and she gets 4 cars total in her next allotment. The numbers are smaller but the ratios the same around the rest of the country.

You'll not get a car in 4-6 weeks by getting on a waiting list unless you pay WAY over MSRP....you're being swindled....if you believe them get them to put it in writing.
    --evan

13. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

When i go to make my purchase this saturday I will get it in writing. I think maybe south florida is doing all right with the Prius. We'll see. I first had a feeling it couldnt be possible, but now that I have called over 4 dealers and they have all said 2-3 months or 4- 6 weeks it sounds reasonable. I still have my doubts. I will definitely get it in writing to make sure that they will deliver, or else i get something for free, or money or sumthing. LOL

14. hoferchr

hoferchr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congrats on a new Prius, Ptpiz. I'm a bit older than you (26), and I ordered my first car back in November (and still waiting). I actually kind of inherited my mom and dad's '93 Toyota Corolla LE, but now I can officially say that I'll be owning my own car! Exciting stuff, anyway! You might find a picture of me somewhere within this website. I think I posted a picture of me at the 2004 Detroit Auto Show.

15. tag

tag Senior Member

You'll get the entire car for free if anyone actually sells it to you, at least for a few years. Since you're a minor, and your contracts are voidable (at your election) until you reach the age of majority (that's 18 just about everywhere), you could theoretically buy the car, drive the living crap out of it, and return it for a full refund.

I'm going to assume you're already aware of the foregoing and that you're prepared (i.e. you're bringing an adult along to complete the purchase).

16. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Hey, good choice. I wish I had that much coin when I was 16... :)

The 2001 does have an advantage potentially in gas mileage. For very short trips in the cold it seems my 2004 may use more gas than my 2001.

By the way, I ordered mine in November and got it in Jan. A fair wait, but not a HUGE wait.

17. tag

tag Senior Member

Yep, I'm sure it's more like $2500/yr. Still, that pretty much lines up with the whacking I took when my son got his license at 16.

Re accidents, my son has been driving for a year and a half. Since that time, fortunately, he's had no problems. However, the same can't be said for several of his friends; one rear ended another car in his new Jetta, another totalled mom's Suburban, another has been involved in two accidents driving mom's Land Cruiser, and, yet another, took out a mailbox.

18. Dianne

Dianne New Member

kids and prii

You know what, Rick and others? Knowing insurance is a killer for a 16 yr old, and that I ought to get my son a beater car when he starts driving... I still am buying him a Prius. Or, giving him my tideland BC car when he comes of age (he is 13, and starts driving in 2.5 years). It's enough for me, right now, that he wants one and knows why he should. I want to encourage that sort of thinking... and applaud it. If I can afford it, I will!

That's a smart 16 yr old there... he's already showing a lot of responsibility in car choices!

Dianne

19. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My point wasn't whether the parent could afford it, but more about the sense of value that I feel should be instilled in our children as well. IMHO, our children should be taught to take care of and pride in what they drive (or own). In some cases (not neccesarily anyone here), when a parent hands their child a brand new $26,000+ car, it's easy come, easy go. I watched friends in high school who got new Corvettes, wreck them, then get another one, courtesy of Bank of Daddy, instead of being required to "earn" a car - either by good grades or a part-time job. It was sad that such values of conservation and responsibility weren't being passed along.

For those who can afford it (and the insurance/liability consequences), and for those who's children have said values of responsibility, I'm all for it! There are such 16-18 yo's out there. I'm sure Thomas (Dianne's son, whom I've met - nice kid) will be one of them.

But to others - we can encourage the same thinking by obtaining a healthy pre-owned Prius for our new driver. It encourages values of reusing by consuming a pre-existing car looking for a new home, while still making a more environmentally sound/technologically advanced/Toyota supportive decision :) The monetary outlay will be less, and you still achieve most of the goals. That, and by not giving them a "rocket" of a car, they'll be more likely to bring home less speeding tickets to boot :-D

I'm digressing, however, and this is becoming more of an ethical/moral digression than a 16yo getting a Prius thread. This is all IMHO, of course.

::: stepping off soapbox :::
    -Rick

20. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

What is an HCH?