1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius got smushed :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mrsboz99, May 8, 2008.

1. mrsboz99

mrsboz99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Argh! I've had my new Prius for a month and was loving every minute of it, but now I'm stuck driving a Pontiac Grand Prix (possibly the worst car I've ever driven heh...and it's red no less) rental while I wait for my car to get fixed. I blame my alarm clock! If it had gone off I wouldn't have missed carpooling with my coworker, and wouldn't have ended up parked in the Dunkin Donuts lot later that morning. I went in to get a coffee for the ride to work and when I walked out I was dumbfounded. My car was not where I left it. The back end was 6 feet or so over, in the parking spot next to it and there was a Chevy truck sticking out of my car's back bumper. Apparently the truck owner had been gassing up across the road when he heard a snap and his truck started rolling downhill. It went across 2 lanes of traffic, through the dunkin donuts parking lot and straight into my car. How I didn't hear the crash I don't know. This was last Friday. Car is at the shop and should be fixed up in the next few days. Guess I was lucky that all the damage is focussed on the corner of the bumper itself. At least it seems that way. The appraisal guy from the insurance company seems to feel there is only cosmetic damage. Getting a new bumper put on and a wheel realignment done. As soon as the body work is done I'm taking it to our dealership for the alignment and I'll have them give it a once over to make sure everything seems in working order.

I miss my baby!

2. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    What a bummer:eek: Make sure the dealer checks it over good to be sure there's not hidden damage. The insurance guy is out to save his company money. And appraisers are not mechanics. These cars have a lot of electronics in them. Got pictures?

3. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Im sorry to hear about the damage to your car, luckily no one was between your car and the truck when it happened. Hope you are reunited soon.

4. mrsboz99

mrsboz99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is what I saw when I walked out the door, only the truck had still been imbedded in my bumper.
    [​IMG]

Close-up of the damage (not too bad considering!)
    [​IMG]

5. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That will buff right out. :D

Sorry to here that, hope you get it back as good as new.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its too bad that you had that happen, but if you were going to get hit, that's probably the best place on the whole car to get hit. AFAIK, there are none of the expensive electronic bits behind the bumper on the left side.

7. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That to me looks like an easy bumper cover replacement. Maybe pull out the dent if there is one in the quarter panel. There is a lot of space behind that cover or from what I remember there is a lot of space.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear that. Glad it's repairable!

9. mrsboz99

mrsboz99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks everyone, I knew you'd understand :) Hehe, yeah I feel pretty lucky. Poor guy that hit me was so upset about it all. He was actually running across the road with it while it was rolling, trying to grab on and get it to stop. Just glad that somehow the truck missed all traffic on the road it crossed and avoided all the pedestrians coming in and out of the coffee shop! Crazy!

Funny how attached to my car I've gotten in just these few weeks...seeing even that small dent is very upsetting ;) Should have it back by end of day Tuesday though!

10. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, looks minor, mostly the bumper cover took the hit.

Good thing the parking lot was wet and your car slid so much (and the right side of the car didn't bump in to anything). Otherwise the damage would have been worse.

11. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wait! That's right where the secret compartment is, where you were keeping all your gold! And now there isn't any there! Oh No!:heh:

I'm glad you'll be back to normal soon and out of the Grand Prix and into your grander Prius.

12. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I had imagined worse damage since the truck rolled all the way across a street and pushed your baby 6 feet. Thank God everyone's OK. It is amazing how fast the bond grows with these cars.

13. RinMI

RinMI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I recently had a similar incident with my Pri (my fault) and I can assure you that the most they will need to do is replace the bumper cover; although there is a chance that they will pop it out and with heat, massage out the kinks. I know that sounds wierd but that is essentially what you can do with the Prius bumpers. It's almost as if they are made out of the Rubbermaid type material. Unless it is cracked or creased hard, they will probably loosen that side of the bumper (1 screw) and push out the dent and then grab a glorified hair dryer and work out the little minor dents. Rub out the scratches in the paint unless they are too deep and voila!, a new (looking) bumper. If the material is creased too much or the paint/bumper cover is seriously scratched, they will replace it. I am not a body man and I repaired mine in under two hours.

14. Code Blue

Code Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm glad to see from the picture that it wasn't as bad as I imagined. But I feel your pain about seeing the damage and not having your new car to drive. I had mine just a month, too, when it got taken away from me. I had to drive a rental car for a week, and it was not fun after having a Prius to drive for awhile.

It might make you feel better to see the pictures of mine over in the Newbie Forum. It was torched in a garage fire after only one month, turning it from that beautiful Seaside Pearl into something more like Driftwood Pearl. I probably should have gotten the finish protection:

http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/46837-one-month-then-toast.html

As the saying goes, it could always be worse. Mine was made better by my dealer having the same car arriving at the dealership later that week. It would've been hard to handle otherwise.

15. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sorry about your baby blue. I hope it's ok for you when you get it back.

another secret compartment? is thier no end to them?! :D

16. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Glad to hear you are ok and it was only vehicle damage.

But I have to say... this sounds like a case of "THE HYBRID CONSPIRACY." Non-hybrids maliciously and intentionally targeting and attacking hybrid cars. Drivers need not be present, as this example shows.

17. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good thing you weren't walking past that corner of the car when that happened. That truck would have been quiet in stealth mode and we know how dangerous that is when you're not looking.

Check that the wheel tub isn't bent when you get your car back, you can see it took some of the force by the imprint on the bumper. It needs a new cover, no way will that be fixed in the shop without looking crap. It looks like the paint is stressed so the plastic will be. There may be damage to the styrofoam filler behind the bar too so have the techs at the dealer have a good look. Panel shops are well known for only fixing what can be seen.

Good luck and hoping for a speedy return to the Prius. I loved the Grander Prius comment.

18. mrsboz99

mrsboz99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    "Wait! That's right where the secret compartment is, where you were keeping all your gold! And now there isn't any there! Oh No!:heh:"

- No kidding! I was wondering why there was a crowd around my car when I walked out of the DD...and by the time I got to my car they were all scattered. Thieves!

"But I have to say... this sounds like a case of "THE HYBRID CONSPIRACY." Non-hybrids maliciously and intentionally targeting and attacking hybrid cars. Drivers need not be present, as this example shows."

- HA! I KNEW it! That Chevy truck looked soo derned smug over there. Was wondering how it got through all that traffic without hitting anyone..."parking brake snapped"? Ha! it was all part of its evil plan! It didn't have a scratch on it either...just remnants of MY paint job on its bumper. How rude!

Code Blue - Holy cow, your poor Prius! My dent looks SO small after looking at the remains of your car! Glad you were able to get a replacment soon after!

Hehe, seriously, you guys are so awesome! Thanks for the wisdom and wit :) I am getting a full bumper replacement btw and they are covering the 4 wheel alignment. SOOO relieved that (aside from my hidden gold compartment) there wasn't much behind the bumper cover. I'll have the Toyota techs check that wheel tub and the filler, thanks for the tips! Meanwhile I'll continue with hat and sunglasses whilst driving that awful Grand Prix (I was so embarassed to be driving it in today...!). Will be back in my Grander Prius soon (Love that hehehe).

-Tara

19. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think that after reading this thread and Code Blue's, I'm going to have by Seaside Pearl packed away in a giant piece of tupperware for a two week period centered on the one month aniversary of my ownership.....:)

There seems to be something about that one month aniversary and blue Prius....

Glad that both of you are on the road to being back in good cars...

20. mrsboz99

mrsboz99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi everyone,

Well for something that was minor damage, it took over a week to get my car back (just picked it up yesterday). When they took the bumper off they apparently did fine some more damage behind it...nothing to the frame, but there was some sheet metal between the frame and bumper (?) that got dented and scratched. So they had to call the insurance company to send out the appraiser...which took several days...and then it was 8 hours more work to fix.

But I do have my baby back and so far it seems to be working great. I did notice two things though:

1) The black rubber piece that is adhered to the bottom of the bumper wasn't put on well. It has lifted along the left side. It isn't dangling off or anything but it has lifted away from the metal and you can see the white gobs of adhesive behind it. Definitely going to have them fix that.

2) The other thing is really minor and I guess I won't say anything about it. Along the seam on the right side of the bumper there is an imperfection in the paint. Seems like maybe some bubbled up and then the bubble collapsed and the paint dried leaving a half inch crusted imperfection. It is on the inside of the seam though, and so not really noticeable when just looking at the side of the car.

All very minor and not affecting the joy I feel to have my car back! Now I just have to get used to driving it instead of that huge, heavy Pontiac hehe.