1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Handling components to be available soon!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BT Tech, Jun 8, 2005.

1. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello everyone. I have emailed Danny about becoming a sponsor of this site but still have not heard back so I thought I would fill everyone here on what I have been working on for some time.

My automotive background is in late model (C5-C6)Corvette SCCA racing and general high performance work and some of my duties involve the design (CNC programming) and modification of suspension parts for the racing cars to increase strength in key areas and the reduction of weight. I have also designed a chassis plate for the C5 which has made the car over 20 percent stiffer in both torsional and bending stiffness which has been a huge success which have been sold all over the world. This plate is all CNC milled in 6061-T6 and ceramic coated for heat reduction.

Since purchasing my Prius several months ago, overall I am thrilled with the car but not too thrilled with its high speed handling. In fact, I would have to say that the way the car comes stock, its handling at highway speeds and in any kind of cross wind conditions is downright scary. I have had the alignment checked my my dealer twice and after dealing with them, I decided to take the car to my race shop where I had one of our mechanics add some toe-in which helped the car a lot but it still was not to my liking.

Being that my other job deals with improving suspension geometry and stiffening the chassis of the corvettes, I got under my 2005 Prius and have already come out with a stiffening plate that would bolt right in and the difference it provides is immediate felt. I have attached a picture of this plate so everyone can see. This plate is fully CNC designed and milled using 6061-T6 and has a black anodized finish. It will be supplied with 4 stainless steel bolts and washers for an OEM look and fit.

I should have these first 10 plates available from the machine shop within the next 2 weeks and these will be priced at 150.00 each. These plates will be fully CNC machined and will look OEM in appearance and in quality. Based on how well and fast these 10 pieces sell, I will do another production of these plates but at a higher amount so I can hopefully start to make something on them!! :) **Please note that the photo attached is my prototype plate which will be the same thickness as the production plate but not have any holes drilled in the middle** In other words, It will look like a factory item, just a much higher grade!!

I really wanted to just post this item to see if there is in fact a market out there to improve upon the Prius' suspension and handling characteristics because the way I feel, the car has a lot of ability, and it should not take too much to get the car to feel like it should. Solid, well planted on the highway without continuous adjustments to the steering wheel.

I am also currently working on modified sway-bar links and a few other items to really solidify the front end and make this a car an excellent highway crusier that handles well in town as well.

For those that are currently interested in purchasing one of these plates or if you simply have some questions, please feel free to email or call the number listed below.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115
    [email protected]

2. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not have much knowledge of the inner working of the car, but how does this help with handling? I used to drive an F250 so the Prius seems like it handles good to me.

3. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Tadashi. Most unibody cars have structural braces of some kind located at different points along the underside of the vehicle. These braces help tie both ends of the body together to reduce flexing and to improve the rigidity of the body.

If you were to remove the factory supplied brace and compare it to ours, the difference is apparent. Our brace will significantly stiffen the body of the car resulting in better and more controlled transitions in the vehicles handling. It also results in a "tighter" feeling car which I happen to find gives it a more refined feeling to it.

Hope this helps..

Brian
    BT Tech

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi\";p=\"96661)</div>

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So installation involves only removal of factory plate via unscrewing some bolts and then bolting on the new one? No additional drilling or anything?

Also, would you consider sending one of your units to one of our more performance minded members to try out and test and report back. Frankly I don't, as a non-performance guy, understand how that plate is going to help stability.

I'd suggest Tom Stangl or Amped (can't recall his real name) as testers...there may be others out there also well qualified...I'm not one of them so don't think I'm looking for a freebie. It's just that I'd trust those guys' opinions if they came back and said it made a difference....maybe enough to buy one.

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe i'll purchase the later bunch of this item. I'm definetly interested.

My questions: how does the car do with this plate.. but without the toe-in adjustment?

i guess kindof a controlled test.

6. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Evan.. I only have 10 being currently machined at the moment as I did no know how well this product would be received. I understand that the Prius is not a performance car but due to my background, I just HAD to make it better than it comes stock!! :)

Please have one of these guys contact me and I will see what I can do to get them a brace for testing..

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"96667)</div>

7. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    On my new 2005 Prius, I did the toe-in adjustment first to try to alleviate the problem I was having with high speed stability. It definately did help but it was still there.

After installing my stiffiner brace, the car definately tracks better and has a lot more rigid feeling to it. The car is more "tossible" and has a more refined feeling.

Basically what this part does is it ties together the middle of the cars body at its lowest attachment point for more structural strength. I am also at this momemnt testing out much sturdier front end components to reduce sway in the front end to even further make the car as stable as possible.

Like I said earlier, the car IMO is NOT a bad handling car the way it comes from the factory. It just needs a bit of help to get the handling the way I feel it should be on the highway. To me, the car should track perfectly straight and true without constant corrections to the steering for it to follow a straight line. My goal is to get the car to do this and handle better at the same time..

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"96673)</div>

8. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After looking at the picture I was wondering how close to the exhaust is the plate. Can you post a picture of the stock plate. I could be interested in this. I need more info.

Blue

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i am interested in anything that helps the Prius in anyway. i for one dont have a problem with the way my Prius handles. i also dont do any high speed driving.

the only time ive had a control issue with the car is over the I-520 floating bridge in Seattle, but i have had control issues with every car i have ever driven on that bridge because of the extreme shear winds there.

10. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is no issue with the exhaust pipe clearance as it is roughly the same distance away as the stock brace is. Even with full movement of the exhaust pipe, there is still several inches of clearance before possible contact. In other words, contact with the plate is not going to happen..

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue-Adept\";p=\"96683)</div>

11. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

LOL, this is the thing about suspension... When you're used to driving "tight" high end cars, I would imagine the Prius feels like an eggshell on wheels. In comparison to something like the Honda Civic, the Prius has a really nice "tightness" to it, as opposed to a "null" feeling, soft Cadillac ride. Then again, people don't generally buy Prius's because they want to zip around corners...

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well there are some Prius owners that dont "swish around corners" who nevertheless have issues with ride stability at freeway speeds while driving in a straight line.

if such a simple modification would help to remedy that problem, i think it would definitely be worth looking into especially for $150

13. bobc

bobc New Member

I'm with Dave.

There's been several discussions about white knuckle drives when the wind is blowing, which I have unfortunately experienced myself.

A little more control and subsequent piece of mind would be good...

14. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Brian, great to see this! I've done similar mods to most of my performance-oriented cars. Chassis stiffeners are a change for the better during most driving situations. Yours certainly looks like a quality piece. If I weren't selling the car in a few months (see another thread about my buy/sell strategy), I'd jump on it. If the '06 attachment points are unchanged, I'll get one.

I wouldn't be the best tester since I changed the tires. Best to find someone with OEM rubber. Incidentally, I've tried different brands of tires and had the best handling improvement with Bridgestone Potenza RE-950 195/60-HR 15's (another thread around here). The trade off was a 4 mpg fuel economy hit, worth it IMO for greater safety reserves and, oh yeah, fun! I'll be switching to Yokohama Advan db's on the '06, a light ultra high performance all-season tire.

Good luck with your idea, and thanks for undertaking the project!

15. jdfoster

jdfoster New Member

Will this affect the warranty in any way? Do I need to have an alignment done on the car after installition ? Thanks Jim P.S. I am interested

16. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i would be a good tester for this ( performance wise ). i test all cars out on a road by me. 3 mile stretch. check it out on a map. Hicks Rd in San Jose, CA. may be listed under a different city.

17. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for your kind words amped.. Since I deal with this kind of stuff on a daily basis for the Corvettes, this was a natural progression for me to try to make a great car even better..(Prius that is) :)

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped\";p=\"96778)</div>

18. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Jim.. If you were to put one of these on your car and worried about warranty coverage, you can easily put the stock one back on in a matter of minutes. Even if you left it in place, unless someone was specifically looking for it, it would be difficult to know that you even changed it.

No alignment before or after is required with the addition of this part.

I have had it on my car now for over a month and have been to the dealer multiple times and nothing was ever said.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdfoster\";p=\"96795)</div>

19. dgnw

dgnw New Member

GREAT idea! I would definately be interested. I like to drive the Prius fast on the highway and would like better stability. I just switched to Bridgetone G009 195-60-15 to help with handling and would like better sway bars also. I have had a few sport cars in my day and I still think it handles OK, but would like some stiffness for sure. It is great going 80mph and getting 40 plus MPG in the lippery 04 Prius, to me thi i where the car really shines.

20. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Everyone.. I have contacted my machine shop where our stiffening plates are being currently CNC machined and have increased my first production run to 20 pcs.

We can accept either payment via paypal or credit card. I don't want to process any charges until I have the plates in stock and ready to ship.

Shipping: The plates will be shipped via UPS ground and there will be a charge of 10.00 for shipment within the Continental US.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask or email me at [email protected]

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115