1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Handling Components to be available soon!!

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by BT Tech, Jun 8, 2005.

1. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello everyone. I have emailed Danny about becoming a sponsor of this site but still have not heard back so I thought I would fill everyone here on what I have been working on for some time.

My automotive background is in late model (C5-C6)Corvette SCCA racing and general high performance work and some of my duties involve the design (CNC programming) and modification of suspension parts for the racing cars to increase strength in key areas and the reduction of weight. I have also designed a chassis plate for the C5 which has made the car over 20 percent stiffer in both torsional and bending stiffness which has been a huge success which have been sold all over the world. This plate is all CNC milled in 6061-T6 and ceramic coated for heat reduction.

Since purchasing my Prius several months ago, overall I am thrilled with the car but not too thrilled with its high speed handling. In fact, I would have to say that the way the car comes stock, its handling at highway speeds and in any kind of cross wind conditions is downright scary. I have had the alignment checked my my dealer twice and after dealing with them, I decided to take the car to my race shop where I had one of our mechanics add some toe-in which helped the car a lot but it still was not to my liking.

Being that my other job deals with improving suspension geometry and stiffening the chassis of the corvettes, I got under my 2005 Prius and have already come out with a stiffening plate that would bolt right in and the difference it provides is immediate felt. I have attached a picture of this plate so everyone can see. This plate is fully CNC designed and milled using 6061-T6 and has a black anodized finish. It will be supplied with 4 stainless steel bolts and washers for an OEM look and fit.

I should have these first 10 plates available from the machine shop within the next 2 weeks and these will be priced at 150.00 each. These plates will be fully CNC machined and will look OEM in appearance and in quality. Based on how well and fast these 10 pieces sell, I will do another production of these plates but at a higher amount so I can hopefully start to make something on them!! **Please note that the photo attached is my prototype plate which will be the same thickness as the production plate but not have any holes drilled in the middle** In other words, It will look like a factory item, just a much higher grade!!

I really wanted to just post this item to see if there is in fact a market out there to improve upon the Prius' suspension and handling characteristics because the way I feel, the car has a lot of ability, and it should not take too much to get the car to feel like it should. Solid, well planted on the highway without continuous adjustments to the steering wheel.

I am also currently working on modified sway-bar links and a few other items to really solidify the front end and make this a car with excellent handling, whether in town or on the highway.

For those that are currently interested in purchasing one of these plates or if you simply have some questions, please feel free to email or call the number listed below.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115
    [email protected]

2. unique2006

unique2006 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $150 seems kinda steep for a rectangular metal place, that would be fairly easy to make...unless it was titanium of course:)

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:cd763ff746]I am definitely interested! I note that Toyota has reportedly stiffened the frame in the mid-2005 production run. I got my Silver Cloud in March. Changing the tires to GY ComforTreds helped a lot, but I still feel the front end is a little too "springy".

How hard will installation be?[/font:cd763ff746]

4. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would agree with you but you have to undertand that this is being machined on a CNC mill, will have radiused curves and be annodized in black. I also designed many ridges to reduce the mass of the plate and to increase the rigidity. Look at the rear of the plate so you can see what I am referring to.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unique2006\";p=\"96620)</div>

5. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Bill.. The install is a snap and you can always go back to the factory one if you ever wanted to, but I don't think you would!! It basically involves removing 4 bolts, sliding the factory bracket out and installing our version with slightly longer stainless steel bolts and washers already supplied. Tighten them down to 24 ft/Lbs of tq and you are all done!!

I know that I will get email from people saying that they can take a piece of metal and use a jigsaw to cut it and them mount it in place but the way I have always done things is with the highest quality in both form and function. These plates all have radiused edges with no sharp points and have been computer modeled for the greatest strength and lowest weight. They all have been CNC machined for a superb finish and perfect repeatability.

I have personally spent over 40 hours of computer modelling and CNC programming time and believe me when I tell you that 150 dollars is a VERY cheap price to pay for the quality you will be getting.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant\";p=\"96621)</div>

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm interested.

How do I know if I have one of the Pre or Post 2005 stiffened Prii? Is there a date I can check or something I can see if I crawl under my Prius with a flashlight?

Exactly what is involved with this? Is this something I can do myself with socket wrench? Just jack the car up, remove the old, replace with the new? Does it come with directions? I'm game, but I'd like to know 1. if I need this and 2. if I can do it myself.

7. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: I'm interested.

Hello Godiva.. All second gen (2004-2005) Pri have the factory brace installed. It is a relaitvely light gauge piece of metal that is secured by (4) 14mm bolts.

Changing this part out to our stiffening plate is very easy and can be accomplished in less than 10 minutes time. All you need to do is remove the 4 bolts that attaches the stock plate, position our new plate and use our supplied stainless steel hardware and tighten. This is VERY easy to do and if you are thin enough, you don't even need to jack up the car!! :)

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva\";p=\"96831)</div>

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info Brian. This is doable for me.

Sign me up for one as well.

9. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brian,
    Do you have access to a wheel scale? I suspect some of the quirky handling could be related to "wedge" or weight distribution but I don't have easy access to any scales.

10. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Godiva... Please email me priavely at [email protected] so I can get some personal information from you.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva\";p=\"96996)</div>

11. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey 200V.. I am planning to corner weigh the car but each time I want to do it, they are being used!! As soon as I am able to "steal" them away for a few hours, I will report my findings.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

T
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(200Volts\";p=\"97004)</div>

12. xsailor1

xsailor1 Junior Member

This part sounds HEAVY. What will the shipping price be to (let's say) California???

13. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not heavy at all. The part is CNC machined from 6061-T6 billet aluminum and I have designed ribbing in the bottom of the plate to reduce its weight and make the part more rigid.

Shipping within the continental US is 10.00

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xsailor1\";p=\"97094)</div>

14. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Sounds like an interesting idea, but I'm curious - if the Prius already has a similar plate installed, how does yours make the handling better?

15. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Prius uses a stamped light gauge steel plate which flexes causing the reduced stiffness in the chassis. Our plate is much thicker and is machined from billet 6061-T6 which offers greatly improved chassis rigidity compared to the stock plate.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jfh3\";p=\"97580)</div>

16. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

Hi Brian;
    I'm definitely interested in the idea but have a couple of questions.

1: Can you give some more information/examples as to the improved stiffness (e.g. Bodyroll/flex, vibrations, etc.)

2. Does your plate affect cornering performance? Any skidpad figures?

Thanks
    --GD

17. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The rigidity of any automotive structure is of paramount importance for the suspension to do its job adequately. In basic terms, when you stiffen the structure, you are increasing the structural resonant frequency of the body which results in better handling and a more refined feel.

A good example is to go drive a convertible or a T-Top car without its roof in place. Do you notice how the car tends to "jiggle" or suffer from extensive cowl shake? This is a result of the chassis lacking sufficient stiffness and the end result is a car that does not feel good to drive.

Like any car on the road, the Prius benefits from additional strength in the chassis. The car feels more secure and responsive and you can actually feel the difference with the added support/stiffness.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeekyDragon\";p=\"98443)</div>

18. Poppajack747

Poppajack747 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there any way to add a cross member in the engine compartment to achieve similar stiffness in the front? I see that the strut towers are "buried."

19. leeskarha

leeskarha New Member

How can you tell if a Prius was made after "mid-2005 production run"? Will all made after a given date have the stiffened frame from the factory?

20. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Date of production can be found on the driver door jamb.