1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius II owner from So Cal

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by sipnfuel, Jan 21, 2011.

1. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've recently bought my first Toyota Prius and have gotten past the break-in period.

I've been visiting this site quite a bit to learn the ins and outs of my vehicle. I wish that I had visited this site more before my purchase.

Right now I am almost to 1000 miles and these are the results of the first two tanks (my first tank was topped off by the dealer).

Tank 1

• 418 miles, 8.48 gal, 49.3 mpg actual (52.1 by MFD), 33 mph avg.

Tank 2

• 456 miles, 8.74, 52.2 mpg actual (54.8 MFD), 35 mph avg.

The figures above depend on the accuracy of the odometer, which I have not tested yet. Note sure why I only get 8 and a half gallons per tank when the car tells me I have about 50 miles left to empty.

I've mostly taken it easy on the car during break-in. I briefly drove it around 85 mph on two occasions for approximately 2 miles each, but for the most part it was cruising on the freeway from 60 - 75 mph, averaging 65 mph. City driving speed limits are 40-45 mph. The most surprising thing is how low the MFD says my overall MPH actually is.

The sales person from the dealership told me to mostly keep it in ECO mode, so I kept it there. I really got use to the ECO mode response to throttle. The first time I used PWR mode was around 500 miles into the vehicle, going up a hill, and I was really surpised how zippy it is. I don't think I had pushed the ICE to the RPMs encountered during that PWR mode session during the entire time I had the car in ECO mode. Now I switch between ECO or Normal mode.

The other thing is when you are learning the nuances of driving this car is to not pay as much attention the the HSI during regen braking, or else you may be too focused on regen and not on actually stopping, so that by the end you have to really push the brake to finish your stop. Basically you can't brake using regen alone and come to a safe stop unless you start super early.

Since I'm in So. Cal., the Jan. temps here are about 45-60 F during mornings and 65-85 during the afternoon, depending on location and weather. Because the weather is so nice, I haven't ever had the heat on, except by accident when climate control was set to auto. If I feel a bit hot, I sometimes have the A/C on to a comfortable setting, usually 68-74 F, and when I do, I try to have the car set to ECO mode.

In the city where I am, it is really hilly and that hurts my MPGs a lot in the city. Also I don't really ever have the road to myself and I haven't had the opportunity to P&G that much, though I have noticed it gives a great boost to MPGs. However, one time I drafted a semi at approximately 55 mph while trying my best to do a bit of P&G and that gave good results. Again I can't really P&G that much because there's mostly someone on my tail. Given the freeways here, I don't think I can employ P&G that much.

I haven't modified anything on the vehicle. It is still on the same tire pressure as when the vehicle was given to me.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :welcome:congrats, you sound excited!:rockon:

3. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. I am excited and always looking for reasons to drive the car someplace.

The car has been great so far, other than bottoming out the front end of the car on the first day of owning it, and again today while driving out of the gas station. Just a couple scratches on the black plastic plate underneath the engine compartment, but new owners should be wary of dips.

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congrats, Press your tires to 42lbs.ft. 38lbs rear and you will get much better FE? Depending on road surface? Some areas sth. Cal. have worn and rough surfaces. If that is the case you may not want to go that high, but if your roads are good then go to max. cold setting printed on the side walls. H

5. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What is your personal experience to the handling and ride comfort of your vehicle when you have your tires to those pressures.

Is braking distance affected at all? Would things like cross winds have more of an effect?

One curious thing I notice on one particular off ramp is my car starts to get pushed around via the tires, by the road. It's akin to driving in a groove and having the tires follow the groove independent of steering. It's also very similar to getting pushed by cross winds, and having to correct. But there are no grooves in the road and this doesn't happen in my other cars on this same off ramp. I'm not sure if that is due to the narrow tires, but I've driven many cars and I've never experienced it.

Thanks.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Another hearty "Welcome" to you, sipn ... and here's a (somewhat obvious) comment to your 1st question above. Ride comfort is directly related to how high your tire's pressures are set. Higher pressure, more bumps felt. Lower pressures mean a smoother ride, but worse wear. Lower, worse mpg's and higher probability of hydroplaning in heavy rain. Higher pressue lessons liklihood of hydroplaining. Handling? Many race cars run high pressure. That should tell you something. Ultimately, YOU have to decide what you want MOST. What ever you decide regarding lower/higher pressure tires is going to have to be based on what's most important to you. From the picture below, (among MANY other tricks) you can figure what's most important on OUR prius. ;)

[​IMG]

That was only 1/2 tank. Had to run the AC more ... not just for personal comfort, but for healthy traction pack considerations. The mpg's dropped to 72.8 mpg by the time it came to refuelling ... but that still means over 700 miles on a single tank of fuel :p. Part of mpg's relates to length of trip and weather, becides the all important 'anticipatory' driving style, ballanced against not being a jerk slowpoke driver. Let us know what you decide!

7. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the info. I did raise the pressure to 40/38. I've confirmed the pressure with two different gauges (the one on my tire chuck, and small pen style gauge that is amazingly quite accurate)

So far so good -- it is definitely much bumpier and you feel the road a lot more.

You have some insane MPG's. Is your Prius modified in any way or is that solely due to your driving technique?

8. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Welcome and Aloha,

I recon your numbers sound pretty good. I am on my fifth tank of fuel and just broke 2000 miles. I have 17 in wheels on my car and we have E10 fuel here and I also have hills in my drive. I keep my car in ECO mode. Here are my numbers 1st tank actual 473.1 miles, 8.741 gal, 54.12/MID 57.7, avg. spd. 28 mph, 2nd tank 474.9 miles, 8.908 gal, actual 53.31/MID 55.4, avg. spd. 24 mph, 3rd tank 499.2 miles, 9.244 gal, actual 54.00/MID 57.3, avg. spd. 29 mph, 4th tank 481.6 miles, 8.728 gal, actual 55.18/MID 57.2, avg. spd. 29 mph.

Glad you like your car enjoy.

9. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to PriusChat.

Looks like you're going to improve your MPGs even more, based upon your focused effort to max-out mileage. Your "in town" hilly driving may not hurt you as much as you think, assuming you're sitting at red lights a lot especially if traffic speeds will let you glide up/down hills.

My final advice, don't get too caught up in gauge watching like a video game; rather watch traffic, drive safely and enjoy the technology.

10. murasaki

murasaki New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard. I'm a fellow 2 owner in Socal as well. Some of us are having a meet at the end of the month an would love to see you there. The info is in the local clubs and meet forum. I'd paste a link but I'm on an iPhone :(