1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius in 2007?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by thorn, Jun 29, 2005.

1. thorn

thorn Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When is Toyota going to come out with a new Prius? They say 2007 in this article:

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102675

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think for the purpose of this article they were referring to the fact that in 2007 Toyota will have out the Camry, GS, RX, and the Prius all in Hybrid forms. However, 2007 would be the normal model year for the Prius to get an overhaul, following Toyota's prior schedule.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    isn't Toyota's cycle 5 years, not 4? I mean, the old Prius has been around for 6 years (Type-10 98-00, update (Type-11) 01-03).

4. neight

neight New Member

98-00 and 01-03 are both 3-year cycles, by my count... that would indicate that indeed we will be due for a new Prius model in 07.

5. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neight\";p=\"102855)</div>
    From the pictures I've seen the 00 to 01 change was more on the order of a trim change. Perhaps like the difference between an 04 and 05 Camry (check out the taillights).

6. Panther87

Panther87 Junior Member

I don't know what Toyota can really do to dramticly change the car without losing it's main selling feature, gas milage. Toyota has added options every year it seems. Also they increased the size of the car a little this year ( 05 ) I think.

7. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The 2005 Prius is no larger than the 2004. It's 04 and 05 are exactly same, actually, except the rear wiper is standard and the option packages (not options) differ.

I can think of a number of things they could do:
    1) Add a super/turbocharger (possibly as an option)
    2) Add additional noise reduction (they are doing a bit of this in the 2006).
    3) Update the NAV system to add traffic data integration.
    4) Larger capacity and/or lighter weight battery (using a battery with higher energy density).
    5) Larger electric motor/2nd electric motor for back wheels (a 2nd one is unlikely, IMO, tho')
    6) Improved engine programming
    7) Cold air intake

There's probably a bunch more too, and they probably would not have any gas mileage penalties since a newer design will improve upon gas mileage as well. Some of the improvement may be given up due to additional weight of new options, or there may be ways to shave weight off the existing design to compensate for additional weight. It's a complex optimization problem like most engineering tasks and there's always lots of options on what to do.

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryogajyc\";p=\"102942)</div>
    Well . . . not exactly the same . . .

Two buttons have been installed to hold up the headliner in the ‘05 Prius that aren’t in the ‘04.

There may be other changes, but I think that one in the most critical. :wink:

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neight\";p=\"102855)</div>
    Err no. It's more like Gen 1 and Gen 1.5. 01-03 is an update (bumpers, rear lights, lighter/more powerful battery). Liek jfschultz said, e.g. 02-04 Camry is the gen 5 then 05 would be the updated one or gen 5.5 so to speak.

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I still think the Prius will eventually be dropped. Once the Corolla is available with HSD the reason for the Pruis really isn't there anymore. The Prius is/was mainly a POC design and once that the hybrid system is in the main models why keep putting out a one single model line. Corolla Camray Hylander all available with ICE or Hybrid, Prius only with hybrid to me makes little sense. Just my 2 cents.

11. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Unless they keep the Prius around like Honda's NSX, the poor Prelude too, and the Si line as a demonstration of all the latest technology from the company.

Not something to make money from, but an established line that long-term market tests certain techs.

12. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"103051)</div>
    I disagree about the Prius being dropped. Prius is an entirely different car from the Corolla. In order to drop the Prius, they would have to completely redesign the Corolla. That is what the Civic is doing in '06 if you have checked out the posted pictures in this group.

13. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I sure hope they don't drop the Prius. I would never be interested in the other Toyota's with or without hybrid design.

14. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fredatgolf\";p=\"103064)</div>
    I disagree about the Prius being dropped. Prius is an entirely different car from the Corolla. In order to drop the Prius, they would have to completely redesign the Corolla. That is what the Civic is doing in '06 if you have checked out the posted pictures in this group.
    [/b][/quote]
    the Civic is still a Civic. Prius is only one model. Toyota has dropped model's before and with HSD in most models by 2006-8 why have one model line with no ICE option.

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, by 2008 the Prius will still have a freakish following. I mean, look at the growth PriusChat has seen in the last 6 months.

But, this is the company that got rid of the Supra...

16. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt that the Prius would be dropped. It has become a halo car for Toyota. The Prius will likely still be the forerunner for new Toyota technology - maybe the first production fuel cell hybrid in the future? Who knows.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think it is a typo. It should be Toyota Highlander hybrid instead Prius. 400h and HLH were launched a few months away.

Dennis

18. HSD

HSD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wolfman\";p=\"103315)</div>
    Hello to everyone! I am a Prius enthusiast from Greece and a wannabe Prius owner!!! :wink: . I think that " Prius is a Live Revolution!!!
    Of course, there are many projects running in Japan, like Partner robots,Holographic Displays,Photonic Networks-(end of history for RF waves?), Silicon Cardibe Wafers, Self Parking and who knows what else...

I think, that Prius is "the portal", for all these things to come... :wink:

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I also do not think Toyota will be dropping the Prius. It has become the identity for hybrid much like "Kleenex" and "Xerox". It is the hybrid to which others are compared. It also has a majority of the market share, at least for now.

I think Toyota will keep the Prius (and I think the popularity of the Prius will continue to grow and keep it strong) but I think Toyota will be using the Prius to introduce new concepts and technology. Then after a year or two whatever it is will be added to the rest of their hybrid line.

Sorta like they started the HSD with the Prius and now it's part of the Highlander and Camry lines.

I don't think Toyota is stupid enough to kill the golden goose when it is still a gosling.

20. ChuX

ChuX New Member

Although the Corolla will be getting the HSD in the future, I think Toyota would use the Prius to push the mileage ceiling even higher such as by using carbon fiber to reduce the weight of the car and have any new concepts tested on the Prius first. In addition, I think the Prius would serve as the model with the latest technology at a reasonable price.