1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius in 2008?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by yarzy, Nov 15, 2005.

1. yarzy

yarzy New Member

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible. But note that they said the current one was launched in 2003. This could mean that it'll be out in 2008, but as a 2009 model.

3. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Read it again. The article states a smaller and cheaper hybrid system will be used in more cars in Toyota's lineup in 2008 (probably the 2009 model year, they mean) but it's not talking about the Prius. The Prius will certainly not be getting a smaller (i.e. more mild) hybrid drive, of course, but cars like the Camry, Matrix, or Corolla might.

Just as Honda retains the Insight as their flagship hybrid (even though it's barely sold), Toyota will not ever sacrifice Prius efficiency for reduced prices and I'm sure they'll continue to use their best hybrid drives for it. So the Prius will remain their flagship ultra-efficient hybrid but it certainly won't be their only hybrid.

4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

nevertheless, completly new prius should be out as MY2008 or at maximum as MY2009.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's odd, I just read it as they'll install a smaller HSD rather than a smaller, cheaper hybrid system such as a mild hybrid system. Toyota already has mild hybrid systems. I think it might be the Crown that's using it.

6. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

I didn't mean a literal mild hybrid drive, I just meant it will probably use weaker electric motors and a smaller battery for a smaller impact than the Prius' HSD. It would still be a full-hybrid I'm sure.

And yes, I know a new Prius will come out and hopefully that'll be model-year 2008, but the article was talking about something else.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think you guys are confusing smaller with weaker.

They'll be making it smaller and more efficient.

That doesn't mean it will be weaker or have less power.

It makes sense. If they can make it smaller in size and more efficient it will fit in more models. They won't have to redesign every car for the HSD to fit.

Think about it.

Compare caluculators now with the big ones that first came out. They're smaller, can do more and are way cheaper.

Computers are faster, ha e more memory, bigger harddrives and are much smaller than the first desktop computers. They're also cheaper.

Smaller. More efficient. I notice they didn't say less expensive. But then they wouldn't. Because that's when they'll start to make their profits.

8. BrianTheDog

BrianTheDog New Member

According to Toyota's website (video announcement), they will begin production of the Camry hybrid next year, 2006. I'm guessing it'll be available in 2007. That's probably the US production the article mentions. They are modifying the Camry plant in Georgetown, KY to "begin hybrid production" of the Camry -- though, it's not clear whether they will build the HSD components there, or ship them in from Japan.

Isn't the 3rd generation HSD already in use, in the Highlander? If so, this article is referring to the 4th gen.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    or 2.5 if you wanna think of it that way.

The Highlander/RX uses a thinner, more powerful version of our battery. Think about it, it's under the rear seat whereas ours is under the floor behind the rear seats. Also, their battery has better cooling. It's split into 3 areas with 3 vents.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo New Member

While we're kind of on the subject...

Has anyone seen if or when Toyota is considering putting out a hybrid matrix? That really would be perfect for me. The utility of a wagon, the efficiency of a hybrid, how cool would that be!

Actually, when people compare similar vehicles to the Prius to see if the Prius is "worth it", I consider the Matrix to really be the most similar offering from Toyota to the Prius. Good efficiency, Hatchback, etc.

Peace,
    Cosmo

11. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Forget the Matrix.... I want a Corolla Verso.
    :wub:

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hybrid Corolla Verso!! Omg, that'll so own the Mazda5 (which I admit is a pretty damn good car for what it's worth).

13. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As far as I can work out from the various articles I've read on this subject; the next major redux for the Prius is indeed scheduled for 2008. THS-3 is set to ditch NiMH in favour of lithium-ion for smaller, lighter battery packs but with higher power output and higher efficiency. The power output from the electrical motor is also set to be increased substantially again (similar to how it was from THS-1 to THS-2). Toyota say they will also consider manufacturing a plug-in hybrid option for certain markets, depending on how the costs of bulk LiIon pan out in the coming years.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought it was 15% increase for the motor.