1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius in icy Michigan

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by flowergirl004, Jan 29, 2008.

1. flowergirl004

flowergirl004 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought my new Prius in November, 2007. It's become the vehicle of choice in our family and I've already got over 7,000 miles on it. So far we love it. It's averaging 41 mpg on the coldest days and 43 on the not coldest but still pretty darn cold days. I am hoping to see even better mpg's this summer. I have not blocked the grill...afraid I'd do it wrong and mess something up.

It goes in for its first tire rotation tomorrow. I'm a little late with that. Tire rotations every 5000 miles seems like a lot...hopefully that doesn't drive up the maintenance costs.

2. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It takes 10 minutes to drive a car on to a lift, jack it up, remove and rotate the tires with a air driver. Even at $60 per hour it is a $10 job that your local friendly mechanic can do.

Time yuou 10000 mile rotation for July, come to HybridFest, and we'll do it for you.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hello fellow Michigander! We have been getting around 44 mpg with the cold and snow, but in the summer we get 55 mpg over the same roads with the same drivers, so I expect you will see an improvement when the weather improves. Are you a troll or a youper? <note to non-Michigan PriusChatters: This type of troll is a person that lives below the bridge, not one of the pesky ones we get here on the board.>

Tom

4. flowergirl004

flowergirl004 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm a troll...currently trapped indoors today. I think we got over 12 inches of snow yesterday.

5. mkiefer83

mkiefer83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hrm, 12" of snow... You've gotta be in the fingers somewhere... Down here where the thumb meets the wrist, we didn't get much more than maybe 2".

6. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats and welcome to PC.

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I suggest you stick to that rotation schedule. I rotated the OEM tires every 10K and I had substantial tread wear at 27K when, because of an unrepairable road hazard, I had to replace one. Because of the tread wear, I chose to replace all four.

Goodyear dealers will sometimes rotate Goodyear tires for free, even if you didn't buy them there. You might check your local dealers.

8. flowergirl004

flowergirl004 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm up near Bay City. The prius is doing well in the snow and ice. Doesn't have the clearance of my old beastie isuzu trooper but manages to get along.

The combined oil change/tire rotation price was just under $40. I didn't think that was too bad.

9. treehuggergeorge

treehuggergeorge New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am on my second Prius. Maintenace costs (all dealer maintenance) has not been expensive. Your costs shouldn't go up :)