1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius lithium-ion batteries are ready to go

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by clett, May 11, 2007.

1. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/05/re...yotas.html#more

"Reuters reported that Toyota’s Masatami Takimoto, Executive Vice President in charge of powertrain development, expects profit margins for future Toyota hybrids to be equal to that of conventional vehicles, and that Toyota’s next-generation lithium-ion battery pack, co-developed with Matsushita Electric Industrial, is ready to be used “any time.†Toyota had previously emphasized a drive to reduce the cost and size of hybrid components by half."

Cool! B)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    niice. That was quick.

3. drsurd

drsurd New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clett @ May 11 2007, 08:07 AM) [snapback]439787[/snapback]</div>
    Went to a next gen energy conference last week. Talked and listened to CEO's from Phoenix Motor cars, Cobasys, Altairnano, Zap and others. I'm deciding what to buy (Prius was totalled last month) All said that the developments in the next two years will be phenomenal. So I have decided to wait (in the meantime I will drive as little as possible(try to do that anyway) and buy something used that is allready depreciatied but not beat (tough juggling act I know) Then in two years I will buy a PHEV. Judging from the conf. they will be available and there will be a choice. Would love to convert my totalled Prius in the meantime but haven't found anyone near me in Phila. And the kits just don't seem there yet...maybe next year...Tesla announced a big battery win today.
    http://blogs.business2.com/greenwombat/
    May 22, 2007
    Tesla Amps Up Battery Business with $43 Million Deal
    photo: Tesla Motors
    Tesla Motors has inked a $43 million agreement to supply lithium-ion battery packs to Norwegian electric automaker Think. The deal is the first for Tesla Energy Group, a division of the Silicon Valley electric car company. Tesla Energy was launched to commercialize the battery technology that gives Tesla's forthcoming Roadster supercar its zero-to-60-in-four-seconds punch and 200+ miles-on-a-charge range. The deal will rev up Think, which makes a two-seater electric runabout at the other end of the automotive spectrum. The Think City will need about 3,000 lithium-ion batteries - the Roadster sports around 7,000 - to give the car a range of about 112 miles on a single charge, according to Think. The company says the agreement calls for Tesla to develop prototypes for a range of batteries. "We will be in the lead of the thriving battery technology, and our goal is always to achieve higher capacity and more power," said Think CEO Jan-Olaf Willums in a statement. "We will get the first test batteries already this fall, and I am anxious to test drive the first 'Think powered by Tesla.' "

4. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That $43Million number seems inflated. If they are getting 10,000 batteries, that is $4300 each. Seems a little pricey to me.

5. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lithium-X batteries have much higher energy density then NiMh. This will definitely be the way of future auto batteries. I'll be selling my 06 about when these come out.

6. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(200Volts @ May 22 2007, 02:43 PM) [snapback]447436[/snapback]</div>
    Heh, I may be in touch to take it off your hands.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Toyota does with these batteries.

I think their next best move would be to release the Sienna or the Tacoma with a variant of the HSD.

7. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Well thats very good news, wonder if the volt will speed up..lolhahahah
    I think I'll wait for the Toyota :)

8. drsurd

drsurd New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ May 22 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]447352[/snapback]</div>
    The Tesla battery packs for the All Electric THINK (not a hybrid, pure electric) will be around $11,000 each. It's an all electric car, aprox range of 115 miles, top speed around 60mph. Cost around US $30,000 this fall!
    The Tesla ESS(energy storage system) consists of sheets of Lithium ion LION cells. For the THINK probaly 5 sheets of 621 cells each, total of 3105 lion cells. Compared to the TESLA rodster which has 6831 cells but goes zero to 60 in under 4 sec. and has a range of 200+ miles and lists for $92,000.
    No ICE in either car, no exhaust, no oil or gas filters, etc. Energy for the Think and Tesla can be generated on your rooftop or local solar or wind farm. (Or hopefully not from a coal fired power plant or whereever your energy provider makes it.) But it (the energy) can be produced here in the USA!

9. JeffElectric

JeffElectric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'll be selling my 2007 Prius (pkg 5) when the "Third Generation" comes out. I originally purchased December '06 and has white exterior/beige cloth interior with current mileage at 7K and showroom condition. If anyone would be interested, I am located in Santa Monica, CA.