1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius - New Lifestyle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BexarWolf, Apr 21, 2007.

1. BexarWolf

BexarWolf New Member

Just a little introduction.

I'm a redneck, my new wife is an educated lady. I've been driving pickups since I was old enough to drive and my definition of a suitable vehicle was "anything that could haul a bale of hay". My wife has always been aware of her impact on the world around her. So, to think we'd be buying a Prius was pretty far-fetched in my mind. Less than 24 hours ago, we parked a new one in the driveway. Goes to show how much I know.

We watched a movie a few weeks ago called "Who Killed the Electric Car". The movie had more of an impact than I imagined. We were a two truck family (Ford F150 and Jeep Grand Cherokee). My truck was getting about 15mpg and the Jeep about 18. My wife drives 120 miles round-trip daily and it was killing our pocketbook to the tune of about $120/week. I knew we couldn't save the world by "going green" but we figured we could do our part to conserve and save money in the long run.

So, we started talking and figuring the differences. I spent about 6 hours here one morning reading the posts on PC about the Prius.......looking for the good and the bad. A LOT of information on this forum. Yesterday, we went and checked out an '05 and although I was impressed with the performance and such, I still loved my pickup. I let the wife take my truck to another dealership while I took her Jeep to work. Last night, she came home with a driftwood pearl (ok, the thing is gold in my book) '07 Prius package #1 with the leather interior upgrade and my truck stayed at the dealership. I kinda figured it was going to happen so I wasn't at all upset about it.

Today, I got to drive the Prius. Let me say it now......if it weren't for the fact that we need to the Jeep for towing my motorcycle and ferrying dog rescue equipment around, we'd probably be going back for a second Prius. I'm extremely impressed with the car's performance, ride, room and general handling. It is a little bit squirrly and wiggly on the freeway but I understand there are fixes for that.

Less than 24 hours into the purchase, I'm impressed and glad we made the trade. I haven't had a bale of hay in the back of my pickup in a couple of years so I don't think I'll miss it much......especially when I go to the gas pumps.

Thanks for a great forum and I plan on lurking here for quite some time to come.

BexarWolf

2. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome, and congratulations on your new Prius. By the way, it's quite capable of hauling a bail of hay. (I put a 50 gallon water heater, still in its box, in mine.)
    Happy motoring.

3. duanelaugh

duanelaugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BexarWolf @ Apr 21 2007, 04:42 PM) [snapback]427407[/snapback]</div>

I really enjoyed reading your post....struck home with me. Thanks and congrats.
    Duane

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow, an interesting story.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to PriusChat!

Congrats on your purchase.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    welcome to Priuschat!@!

i think you will find that your story is not at all unusual. my in-laws are both truck-driving, 4 wheeling kind of people and will not part with their truck, but at the same time, they are down shopping at the Toyota dealer for a Prius to use as a commuter car right now

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    5.4L V8 Ford Expedition to a Prius for me...one of the best choices I ever made.
    Welcome, very much enjoyed your story.

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, another redneck! As a matter of fact, I'm watching the Nextel Cup race at Phoenix as we speak.

Wolf, welcome to PriusChat and Priusdom. We need more rednecks to help provide some balance here. :)

8. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BexarWolf @ Apr 21 2007, 01:42 PM) [snapback]427407[/snapback]</div>
    Congrats on the new purchase, and welcome.

Actually, if you put the seats down, you shouldn't have any trouble putting a pale of hay in your Prius. Unless a bale is larger than I remember. I've put a 60 gallon water heater in the back mine(in its box). The box dimensions were 24" by 24" by 60". 24" was too high to get the hatch completely down, but it would have fit with the hatch all the way down, if it hadn't been in the box. Of course, you might not want hay straws floating around in your new car. The bottom line, there's a lot more room in the back of the Prius than you might expect.

Dave M.

9. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Let me add my welcome and congratulations, too, BexarWolf. I liked your story. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tundra Hybrid out of Toyota in the not-too-distant future. Nothing redneck about needing a truck sometimes, so why not make that truck easier on the world?

Keep posting! :)

10. dnoh

dnoh New Member

I really enjoyed your story as well. As a very recently owner of this wonderful car, less than 10 hours, this car is just wonderful to drive.

Since you mentioned about the documentary, who killed the electric car, it really changed my mind also. I also recommend Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth, both are excellent documentary and I strongly recommend to watch that also.

11. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Isn't life strange. My 06 Prius followed 25 years of driving various Jeeps and Ford SUV's and I can't imaging owning anything that rude again. No bales of hay here (ex-New Yorker), but I didn't haul anything in my SUV's that doesn't fit in my Prius.

You both made a Great decision, congratulations and enjoy!

12. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BexarWolf @ Apr 21 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]427407[/snapback]</div>
    Congratulations! Your post made my day.

13. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Right on! Another 4-wheeling redneck here! I've still got my old 4x4 for crawling on weekends (treading very lightly with a clean quiet 4-cylinder 4Runner though), but the Pri is so much nicer on the street.

There's nothing wrong with having Hank Williams Jr. coming from that fancy sound system with a screen is there?

Eric

14. TNPapa

TNPapa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Have only had our Prius a week, but love it already. I have owned 4x4 pickups, and suv's. Traded a 2003 Saturn Vue awd V6 for the 2006 Prius. If I need to haul something large, I just rent a pickup truck for the day. I am a redneck, but also a tightwad. No need to make the arabs or Chavez rich.

15. AJMasterson

AJMasterson New Member

I left the life of driving a gas guzzling (9-10 MPG!) pickup one week ago today!

16. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

You can probably stick four bales of hay in your Prius, but unless you want to trash it forever, don't. Hay sheds and embeds itself in carpet and upholstery. Even when wrapped in a sheet, it will mess up a car.

That's why my other car is an ancient Suburban I got for $1,000. I don't dare compute the mpg. it gets, because it's got a serious drinking problem. But when you live on a farm, you've got to have some kind of truck.

I've never found a place that would rent me a truck with a trailer hitch. Am I missing something?

Congrats on your Prius purchase. The only flaw is the thing won't pull a horsetrailer.

By the way. The price of horse feed is going up. The reason? Ethanol is driving up the price of corn!

17. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Wonderful story! I like our fellow Prius Posters appreciate you taking the time to share it with the group!

I'm not a redneck per se, but thrilled when I hear a 'gas guzzler' was traded in for a prius.

Good Luck!

18. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Make me want to go out and buy Prius... Too bad there aren't anymore special financing anymore. dang...

19. Mr07touring

Mr07touring New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BexarWolf @ Apr 21 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]427407[/snapback]</div>
    Check here :
    http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Toyota_Prius.htm
    This and one of those nice aluminum trailers and your jeep will sit a lot more than you'd think - unless your motorcycle is a big heavy V-8 BOSS HOSS, I kept my Sienna to use for big stuff - used like a covered pickup - and as a slush/winter driver and it seldom gets used anymore.

20. roryjr

roryjr Member

My wife and I also finally got a Prius. Silver package 5. I would have preferred red but there was a special trade in deal and it was what was on the lot only. I love it. The game of trying to get the mpg's up is something I have worked on for 2 days. I'm not an environmental guy or anything, but I love this new gadget and I love saving money on gas as it continues to rise in price.