1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owenr of "old" 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by PeterPrius, Jan 11, 2010.

1. PeterPrius

PeterPrius Hers is a 2009 Prius, non-SKS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So far I love my new old Prius. I knew I was going to have to learn how to drive all over again. I replaced the oil with synthetic to better cope with the cold and so far my MPG is up from 34 to 47.

My only concern at this point is what happens when the bars on the display reach 1 or 0? WIll that effectively drain the battery pack and the car will stop running?

Or will I be able to keep going on ICE and its 4.7 MPG up mountain passes? I'm dying to know before I go up the passes.

Here's the deal: I have to drive from Denver to the ski towns. It's mostly uphill with very little downhill for about 50+ miles.

There are 4 main sections. I did the 1st one. By the time I reach the short downhill section the pack was at 2 bars. It recharged to 7.

The 2nd section has a long steep hill followed by a long descent. I shouldn't have problems.

But section 3 and 4 are continuously uphill for about 35 miles with a monster climb in the middle, and goes to 11,000+ feet.

Will I make it up there? And what happens if the pack reaches 0 bars?

Thanks for any input you have.

Peter

2. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dont worry about the 0 bars, you will be fine it's not really 0 :)

3. PeterPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So when it reaches 0 bars, it will keep right on going with no negative effects on car performance?

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car manages the battery automatically. It will get more anemic going uphill. Do not be afraid to floor it as needed. The engine may roar as it supplies the requested power, but that is completely normal: the computers will not let it redline.

You do want to get snow tires if it did not come with them. Remember that it is not a snowplow or a rocket, and you cannot spin the wheels to dig yourself out if it gets stuck.

5. PeterPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: New Prius Owner of "old" 2005 Prius

Richard,

Thanks for the info - it's giving me the confidence I need.

The previous owner lived higher up the hill than I do. The car has Nokian WRG2 tires. They work phenomenally, so no worries there.

The next thing I need to do though is buy an engine block heater from the PC Store.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: New Prius Owner of "old" 2005 Prius

Buy some pipe insulation & block the grill.

The battery never fully charges or discharges and the car takes care of itself. When you get to the 2 purple (or pink) bars the gas engine (ICE) will run more to recharge the battery. If you can time it so you are at 2 bars at the summit just coast downhill & let gravity do it.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing about coasting downhill: if you find yourself wanting to ride the brake, shift to "B" first. "B" uses engine braking when needed and helps prevent the brake fluid from boiling. Just don't forget to shift back to "D" when you no longer need the braking, otherwise you will reduce MPGs. In other words don't use "B" when driving around town.