1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner/Car Nut, ScanGauge Owner- Observations

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by royvogel, Jan 20, 2012.

1. royvogel

royvogel TanzMan

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am a certified car nut! I purchased my ScanGauge for my 2008 Mini Cooper S and have used in my 2009 Camry (work car) and my Porsche Boxster (Garage Queen.) So I bought my new Prius last month, finally got a decent price. I have taken off the plastic hub caps and did the DYI center caps, compliments of this web site. Prius Chat is a fantastic information portal for all things Prius!
    Back to the ScanGauge, I do lots of freeway driving, up to 300 miles at a time. It has been cold so I have done the grill blocking; the temperature on my Scangauge never gets above 195. I gauge “temperature†“RPMs†“Voltage†and “MPG.†I have never owned a CVT transmission and the swing in RPMs is pretty dramatic, especially going up and down hills. My lowest RPMs is 950 (down hill) my highest RPM has been 3,500-3,600 (up hill.) Due to my long distance driving I do use cruise control, I have tried the hypermiling techniques and found it to be too tedious. I do find myself driving slower and have become friend of lots of 18 wheelers. My mileage has been around 5052 MPG, the car has 3,000 miles on it.
    I have the III package with navigation, although I have a standalone Tom Tom, which I have used to verify the Prius’ speedometer and it is very close, I have also verified it with the ScanGauge, so I no longer use the Tom Tom- too much clutter.
    I do have a couple annoyances, first the continual “Reverse Beeping†which I find very distractive and gone back to the local dealer twice and they have been too busy to change it! I have an older ScanGauge and have not tried the X-gauge fix. Second annoyance- each time I connect my iphone to the car my contacts get duplicated, so not all of my contacts get downloaded. I have attempted to go in and delete the duplicates, but gave up due to the length of time for the process! Any help would be appreciated.
    I have also had to add a lumbar “pillow†for my long distance driving and it has fixed my lower back pain problems
    The Prius is a fantastic piece of technology. I am impressed with its comfort and quietness. Although I drive in “ECO†mode most of the time, I am impressed with what the car can do in “Power†mode, although it cannot compete or even come close to the Porsche!
    Thanks for all of your help and keep up the GREAT work!

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your observations with the ScanGauge are correct. The Prius HSD does a great job of keeping the ICE at optimum speed and load for its most efficient operation. The ICE rpm's will vary a lot when going up and down hills. The RPM's that you are seeing are right in line with what I see. The 960 RPM when going down hill is usually with the ICE spinning to limit MG1 speed and mostly without burning fuel.

As for Reverse Beep, I know the newer rev ScanGauges have the ability to change this. Go to the Linear Logic website and download the Prius ScanGauge X-Gauge spreadsheet that was developed by members of this forum. This will include the X-Gauge for the reverse beep. If your rev level will not accept this X-Gauge I guess you have a choice to upgrade the rev level or go to your dealer.

In your avatar you list a Two with Nav but in your post you state a Three with Nav. You need to update your avatar.

Someone else will have to help you with the iPhone.

1 person likes this.
  3. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The lowest continuous rpm I see is 992rpm, anything lower than that means that the ICE is on its way to stopping. If the OP chooses GPH as one of the displayed gauges, he can see if the ICE is burning fuel at 992rpm (GPH=0).

Unfortunately, if I'm going <45mph and if the ICE is shut down (RPM=0), the GPH shows 0.02. It should be 0, as it dos in warp stealth described above. Is there some way to fix this by reprogramming the SG somehow? I think the 0.02 will throw off the total fuel flow and thus the calibration. And therefore the calibration will fluctuate depending how much RPM=0 driving I have done during each tank, no?

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I am driving highway with cruise set at 60 mph and go down an incline I can see about 960 continuous at times. Good point about monitoring the GPH to tell when the ICE is running but not burning fuel. I tried monitoring the fuel flow but found that difficult since it saved last value when the ICE stopped.

As for recalibrating the GPH IIRC this is a Linear Logic standard XGauge. You may want to email Linear Logic and ask them this question. I have sent them email questions and they have done a good job of prompt responding.