1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner - Day 1 Feedback

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PaulD76, Jan 8, 2011.

1. PaulD76

PaulD76 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey

Today I picked up a 2004 Gen2 T4 Prius, it was 54k on the clock and is in really excellent condition. I paid around £6k for it.

First impressions are great. Ive seen a few around and they looked pretty nice, but this one looked a bit flat in the forecourt, however once It was out in the real world, it seemed to look a lot better! Perhaps the garage wasnt the fanciest and everything looked a bit dull in there.

I did about 50 miles and the average MPG was 58 which I am of course very pleased about. I used the Pulse and Glide technique and it really is pretty simple. I am used to driving to maximize MPG so its not a big deal for me. Also the tires look a bit low so possibly I can increase the MPG.

I also own a Toyota Supra mkiv so I knew this car was going to be a more relaxed and less sporty drive (lol somewhat less sporty), but I am happy with how it drives. I dont really feel the need to go that fast.

I did have one moment when I couldnt get it started, but i think i wasnt putting my foot on the brake, I am sure it will be fine.

Anyway, big thumbs up.. Wasnt expecting to enjoy it as much as I have done so far.

2. kneedraggin

kneedraggin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    i feel exactly the same...don't feel the need to go fast in it and it's not intended to be a sports car anyways....but the ride is really great and the mpg UNBELIEVABLE! so all in all, even coming from multiple sportscars, and motorcycles I am very satisfied with my prius. More so than I even thought I would be.
    And yes....you have to have ur foot on the brake for the car to start;-)

3. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

First, congratulations on the Prius. You will get to love it more and more. It is the quiet when you're sitting at the light with the engine off, and the calm of not burning expensive gasoline (or petrol depending on the location :)).

Now, depending on what units for the "clock" (or odometer depending on location :)), at 54K miles you should start thinking about a transmission fluid change. It is very easy with a few simple tools and a funnel with a hose attached. If it has 54k kilometers on it, that is extremely low milage for a 2004, I would also immediately change the oil. My personal opinion, without hijacking it into an oil debate thread, is to go with synthetic because the Prius engine stops and starts so often.

Good luck with the car, and welcome to the club. :D

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy, Hal

6. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congratulations on your new to you vehicle! You will love it!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    brilliant!

8. PaulD76

PaulD76 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Guys!

Coming up to 1 week of ownership and apart from a small (but semi expected battery issue) everything has been great.

The best thing is the feeling after a 120 mile round trip journey of being totally relaxed. I am very happy i opted for cruise control as it just makes it complete.

The only thing id like to add is reverse sensors but no rush, just getting used to the car size but that will come.