1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner...did we overpay?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by govtcheez, Aug 26, 2006.

1. govtcheez

govtcheez New Member

Hi. New to the forum and a new prius owner. I actually just bought one for my wife today to replace her 2001 Audi A4 Quattro.

We bought the car through the Costco car purchase program, which meant that we got $500 off MSRP, and the $225 processing fee waived for a total of $725 off. We also got a several hundred bucks off the extended 7/100K warranty which I think we paid something like $1400 or 1500 for. It seemed like a decent deal at the time. We also opted for some teflon coating on the paint and a scotchguard type of coating on the interior which supposedly warrants us against tar/treesap/spillage, etc.. which was another $450.

All in all, we went to the dealer looking to drive off with a #3 package for around $25K total, but instead got the #7 package (pretty much all the options, except for leather) for around $30K when it was all said and done. We also got slammed on the trade-in, but oh well. We knew we weren't going to get much for a car with over 100K miles on it. Also, we could have gotten the #3, but the only colors they had were white and red...neither of which we liked. We liked the blue, but the only one was with leather and they had one silver without leather but NAV, which we didn't really need, but bought that one anyways...so essentially, we paid $2k more to get silver instead of white or red. :rolleyes: ....crazy, I know.

So...is $30K+change too much for a Prius? That is actually a little more than what my wife paid for her Audi A4 Quattro 6 years ago, and almost as much as what I paid for my Lexus IS about 5 years ago. My brother, who recently bought a used Infinity G35 for about $24k called and I told him that we bought a Prius. He asked how much we paid, and I told him a little over $30K and he didn't believe me. :p

Oh well...we love the car so far.

2. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO, you didn't really pay $30k+ for your Prius, you paid around $27,750 and then purchased some other expensive stuff.

With $500 off MSRP, you did better than 98% of other Prius owners. (The trade-in deal you made on your Audi is separate as well.)

I would brag about what an astute negotiator you are and not mention the rest of the story. ;)

edit: Forgot to ask, are you a government cheese distributor or consumer, or are you just into it? :huh:

3. govtcheez

govtcheez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M. Oiseau @ Aug 26 2006, 10:28 PM) [snapback]309975[/snapback]</div>
    Well that's sort of a relief. I knew that we probably overpaid on the extended warranty and the other stuff we probably could have done without but at that point...it all seemed like a moot point.

As for the government cheese, I've used it at various online forums for a very long time now. It came from this one time a long time ago when I was trying to make some nachos at my friend's house with some cheese that I saw in his fridge. I put it in the microwave and in the oven and the darn thing would NOT melt! I asked him what kind of cheese it was and he said something that sounded like government (he was drunk at the time and don't recall what he said). Since then, we call him welfare (even though his parents were very rich).

4. brjacobso

brjacobso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah not too bad, I just got my #8 seaside pearl for around 34k after all the fees and taxes added in, i got the warentee, glass breakage sensor, and teflon coating. warentee was 1500 after 150 discount for using capitalone auto finanacing online, teflon was around $300 and glass breakage was a little more than $300. And this was all straight from the local Toyota dealership here in Carlsbad, CA (besides the financing itself).

5. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

6. govtcheez

govtcheez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Straw @ Aug 26 2006, 10:52 PM) [snapback]309986[/snapback]</div>

Cool! Thanks for that link. I think we'll check to see if we can get a refund and buy the extended warranty from him. :)

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(govtcheez @ Aug 26 2006, 09:15 PM) [snapback]309966[/snapback]</div>

Total $725 off of the car good.

Cancel the warranty asap. You can get the same 7/100k/0 deductible here from Troy for less than $1,000.

Teflon coating on the paint. The paint is already clearcoated. You probably could have done as well for less money buying some car care products and either detailing the car yourself or having someone do it for you. You basically paid an exhorbitant amount for a fancy wash and wax.

You also got hosed on the Scotchgard. The fabric is already stain free. I literally got tar on mine and got it off with GooGone and Tide. You can't tell it was there.

What you saved on the car you paid back plus in the warranty, Scotchgard and trade-in.

At least you didn't buy the LoJack or etching.

8. msmit002

msmit002 Junior Member

Let's just say, you could have done far worse in the MD/DC metro area. And yet, done a tad better. I agree, cancel the extended warranty and get the one through Troy. As for the rest, well just rest better at night that you will have one C L E A N car. :lol:

By the way... what dealer did you purchase through?

9. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(govtcheez @ Aug 26 2006, 09:15 PM) [snapback]309966[/snapback]</div>
    Lets face it, you are really in a position that you don't really care if you paid a little more than you could have. You bought a bunch of add on stuff that you probably don't need, and you could have saved a bunch by selling your Audi yourself. It's nice to be in a positions not to have to worry about a few hundren dollars one way or the other. Enjoy you nice new wonderful Prius, but don't expect the Awe your Audi brought you, from relatives or anyone else.

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gimmemyprius @ Aug 26 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]309984[/snapback]</div>
    According to www.toyota.com , the MSRP for the Glass Breakage Sensor is $165.