1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner (Don't Hate Me)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ken S, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    All!

I was fortunate enough to purchase a new 2005 Prius (Package 6) yesterday. Walked into a local dealer looking at a Solara and saw the Prius. I asked about it and the sales guy said the wait was over a year for the car. About 10 minutes later as I was returing from the test drive in the Solara the GM for the dealership comes out and tells my sales guy to move it over to the other lot because the buyer backed out.
    I had read a lot about the Prius, but wasn't going to wait a year or pay over list price for the car. Two hours later I had paid list ($29,000) and was driving home.
    Normally, I'd suspect some kind of a scam, but other than a casual question about that car the sales guy (and certainly the GM) had no idea that I was even interested in that model.
    Anyway, please accept me into your ranks even though I didn't have to endure the pain of waiting like many of you.

I have a few questions...if some of you wouldn't mind giving a noob some hints:

1. The owner's manual was missing so I don't know the exact break-in procedure. I'll be getting the manual on Monday I hope. Can anyone give me a thumbnail of the do's and dont's?

2. Is there anyplace online where I can order and buy Toyota Accessories. I'm interested in a cargo mat and also the leather manual holder among other things.

3. Is there anyway to get Distance to Empty on the display. Knowing the MPG is okay, but DTE is what's important to me.

4. Any tips or hints or trouble spots to look out for?

5. Extended Warranty - Dealer told me the 7/100000 was just now available and would cost $1,600 with no exceptions and no deductions, but I only get 3 weeks to decide if I want it. He said it was good at any Toyota dealership and was backed by United AutoCare. Does that sound right? I see the host here is offering an extended warranty that appears similar (although there are excepted items though not many).

6. Is there anywhere to get the TSBs on the car?

Thank you in advance for any help,

Ken

Thank you all

2. rocco

rocco Member

I can't answer about the extended warranty but I just got my 05 Prius Saturday - with no wait. An adoption story just like yours.

Lucky YOU! Lucky US! I am so loving it. I got package #5. It sounds like 29000 might have been a bit abovve MSRP. but anyhoo-
    for the first 200 miles avoid sudden stops, for the next 600 . . . I forget. somebody willcome along and tell you.

I'm getting my windows tinted cause I live in sunny ole fla and have an aversion to rays

WHAT AM I DOING HERE??? (in FLORIDA) that is

3. rocco

rocco Member

what color?

4. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Black with the leather interior. The reason it was 29,000 was it had special wheels/rims package and a couple of other things...but price matched the msrp on the sticker.

Congrats on your purchase!

5. disneydad

disneydad Junior Member

KEN

First of all. congratz on your new Prius. :clap: :multi: :crazyeyes:
    & Welcome to PriusChat

do's & don't.

Do- enjoy the heck out of your new car. :p

Do- read Priuschat, more info here than you can read in a month of Sundays :)

Don't -drive it hard. break-in is 5000-7500 miles. :(

Don't -lock up the break. not good for the ABS system :(

Don't - run out of fuel & then empty the Traction Battery. out of fuel is not good but emptying the battery is worse. :cry:

ps Great Avatar.

Norm.

6. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Lucky you!! Congrats! You should be able to find all the answers to your questions here at Prius Chat. Use the search box... it's a good friend of mine. Also, I believe there's a link for accessories on the home page. I'm jealous of your leather interior. Congrats again & welcome to the club! :)

7. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

In regards to "don't lock up the brake" please explain. Thank you.

8. rflagg

rflagg Member

Ken - first off, congrats and welcome aboard!! :)

About the extended warranty - you can get it cheaper here, and you have until your 3/36,000 warranty expires to decide whether you want to extend it or not, not 3 weeks. Your extended warranty can be purchased from any Toyota dealer, and others will honor it.

I paid full price for mine at the dealer, and I should've waited to check out the costs by going through here (I believe it's what, 1100 here, anyone?).

#3 - no, there is no way to get DTE on the display. :( The absolutely, positively, best way to make sure you never run out of gas is do the following:

When you fill up, note the gallons filled (take your time filling the car up - it has a bladder, most suggest the slowest setting available on the auto fill setting, then some will add .5 - 1.5 gallons after that; if you do decide to 'top off', do it extremely slowly, give the bladder time to 'belch', removing the air pockets so the gas won't come spitting back up on you.). If you filled, say, 8.5 gallons, to make it easier (and more safe) just remember 8 gallons, so you'll have reserve as you need it. Now, if your display shows 400 miles, and you're getting 50 mpgs(on the consumption screen), you know you've used up 8 gallons and it's about time to fill up. I've been lucky enough to be able to get over 10 gallons (usually just a bit over 11) for the past 6 or 8 months or so - it takes a lot of patience and time though if you want to go over 500 miles on a tank. If you're not concerned about it, then no worries and fill up when the gauge blinks!

I've taken up enough time of yours with those two long answers, but the most important thing is to enjoy the car - for most all of us here, it's a dream to drive it, and we hope it's the same for you!! :)

-m.

9. LoreePrius

LoreePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [font=Lucida Console:b60278ff4c] [/font:b60278ff4c] [/b]Drive gently and avoid high speeds.

Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But following a few simple tips for the first 1000 km (600 miles) can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle.

Avoid full-throttle acceleration when starting and driving.

Avoid racing the hybrid engine.

Try to avoid hard stops during the first 300 km (200 miles)

Enjoy
    -------------
    2005 Silver #6

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Extended Warranty available by emailing [email protected] is the Toyota warranty - not a 3rd party warranty. It is available through PriusChat for a greatly reduced price (though the price will probably increase in the first few months of 2005) and you are supporting the site by purchasing it through our vendor.

Enjoy reading through PriusChat - there is a ton of information to read, and you have lots of catching up to do :)

Any pics of the car? I want to see the leather/wheels!

Click the Sponsors link on the top left menu for links to various accessory dealers - not the least of which is www.priuschat.com/shop.

Enjoy your Prius!

11. CitizenjaQ

CitizenjaQ New Member

I also got my blue, base model, already-stretching-the-budget-so-don't-gimme-no-dang-option-packages Prius with no wait.

Well, sorta.

I was on a waiting list at one dealership in my area who said I couldn't order a Prius, I could just wait and see what Toyota sent them, and I could decide whether or not to buy when it got to be my turn on the list. I waited for about 6 months, and got a call for a beige AM - $2000 more than the base model I wanted. Test drove the thing in the dark in the snow, really wasn't comfortable with it, was thoroughly sticker shocked, and told them to take my name off the list.

I was dangerously close to buying an Elantra instead when I wandered onto the Web site of another local dealer. They listed a blue base Prius for sale. Almost as a joke, I e-mailed them and asked if it was really available, not spoken for already.

It was available. I don't know why, but it was.

Oh, and they tried to sell me a $1600 extended warranty too. They're worse than Circuit City like that.

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

just another quick tip. It takes a while to get to know the proper technique to drive a Prius for maximum mileage. If you go back thru the topics here on PC and look in the data base Evan has a thread on making maximum mileage from a tank of gas. Don't be surprised if you don't make EPA right off the bat, you won't, but if you learn proper technique you will come pretty close to it especially in the warmer climate of FLA. Most important don't run the car out of gas. Inflate the tires to what Evan or John http://john1701a.com recommends. Keep track of your mileage in a spread sheet and do it from day one and you will have a good idea if some thing goes wrong our you try a different technique or start using a different route than you normally do. The first two tanks will not really give you a big picture as you'll be driving it just for fun but when you finally get used to the car and stop cruising just for fun and start driving it as a car back and forth to work your real mileage will develope and show on your spread sheet. Now above all...........just enjoy it!

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The simpliest DTE is to just watch the info on the Multi-Display, matching MPG to distance to know when you have reached the 9-gallon non-emergency indication of when to fill up:

40 MPG = 360 miles
    41 MPG = 369 miles
    42 MPG = 378 miles
    43 MPG = 387 miles
    44 MPG = 396 miles
    45 MPG = 405 miles
    46 MPG = 414 miles
    47 MPG = 423 miles
    48 MPG = 432 miles
    49 MPG = 441 miles
    50 MPG = 450 miles
    51 MPG = 459 miles
    52 MPG = 468 miles
    53 MPG = 477 miles
    54 MPG = 486 miles
    55 MPG = 495 miles

14. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: No Owner's Manual? You have EVERY RIGHT to all manuals and documentation normally delivered with a new Prius (or ANY auto). I believe you should DEMAND the manuals and other documents... Navigation Manual (if applicable), Roadside Assistance card and brochure, Pre-Delivery Service Check Sheet, Limited Warranty on your tires, Wheel Lock card (if applicable), Maintenance Guide, Prius Owner's Warranty Information, and Owner's Warranty Rights Notification. [I think that covers it unless you purchased other added goodies like Extended Life Tire Program, etc.]

:| Go back and require all documentation normally delivered with a new Prius.

15. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :oops: Sorry about the "double" post.... OOPS!

16. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had a big smile on my face when I saw that John's MPG/DTE list doesn't go below 40 MPG :)

17. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you all for the answers...I'm off to a good start.
    The sales guy or cleanup guy took the manual because I was thumbing through it while my wife took her turn at the test drive. I put in back in the box...and an hour later the sales guy is telling me it never came with one and they would have to order it.

That's a bummer about DTE...it was my default setting on my Saab's SID. Ahh well, if that's my biggest complaint with the car I'll be okay. Hey, I used to have to do the Celsius to Farenheit conversions in my head while I drove to figure out the outside temperature because an on old Mercedes (84 190D) didn't do F. :)

I wasn't seeing the sponsors because Firefox and Adblock were blocking all of the links. Hopped to IE and can see them all. You may want to put a note on the page telling folks using FF that links are there.

I got to say it's a great car so far, but the two Toyota dealers I've had experience with in South Florida (Delray and Palm Beach) don't give me good feelings. I'll get over it though and they'll do the right thing :). This is a transient area and seems to bring out the worst in car dealers (all makes and models)

Anyway, I will send email about the extended warranty it seems like a good deal and as a long time forum host and user (1981 on) I'm always willing to help out any way I can.

I will take some pics of the car this weekend and post them.

Thanks again,
    Ken

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm trying awful hard this week to keep my MPG from slipping below 40 MPG. It's getting mighty close though, with the daytime highs below 0F and the fact that I simply cannot avoid some short-trips.

Of course, when it's that cold you really shouldn't push it anyway... which leads to a rather amusing recommendation we've been hearing on the news lately. They are strongly suggesting that people keep their tanks on the full side, to avoid water vapor accummulating & freezing within the empty space above the gas. PRIUS DOESN'T HAVE THAT! It is a not-so-obvious benefit of the emissions bladder.

19. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) john1701a

If they use the winter grade gas with ethanol, then the will not get water in the lines IMHO.

Ben