1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New prius owner got a few questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by sandman, Mar 30, 2008.

1. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OKay I thought I had this pulse and glide thing down pat but the more I read the more confused I get..I got the pulse its the glide thing I am having hard time understanding...When I glide should there be no arrows? Coming home I would try and get the arrows from battery only when gliding to help glide farther but I read this is a bad thing..ONe more question when I leave on my commute there is a big hill I go down about a mile of coasting what is the best most efficent way to coast down that hill? 1. Get screen with no arrows? 2. Just let off gas? 3.Go to B on shifter and continue letting off gas 4.Go to N? ( I know this is bad idea just throwing all options out there)

I thought it would be just let off gas but read somewhere if you go to b and coast it charges battery anyways thanks for all the help..LOving this car!!!!

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To improve fuel economy:
    - accelerate briskly
    - gliding (no arrows) is better than coasting
    - coasting is better than braking
    - braking is better than coming to a complete stop (or losing control!)

B always reduces fuel economy. Don't use B unless the downslope is so long that you would otherwise ride the brakes. On your big hill the strategy is the same as anywhere else: glide if you can; if that's too fast, coast; if that's too fast, brake; if the brakes start to fade or smoke, shift to B. (Don't use N: it's not safe, and the car does not recover any energy to recharge the battery.)

3. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks richard schumacher for your reply you make it seem simple... I am pretty sure coasting down this hill will be no problem its got a long run out..:) Gliding (no arrows): I had it wrong, all the way home I thought I was gliding what I was doing was draining my battery:rolleyes: I will have to work on that gliding seems hard to keep it there...Thanks