1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner here...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 240sxer, Jan 19, 2006.

1. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

I just got my 2006 Silver Prius Package 6 from Sierra Toyota in Lancaster, Ca. I bought it with 2! Miles on it. It had never even been test driven. I paid 26,300 sticker, plus $595 for some lame protection thing they scammed me with (had no choice) and $995 for Sirius, and $2000 for a 100,000mi extended warranty. Anyway, I’m really happy with the car, it's exactly what I was looking for. So far I’ve only driven it about 21 miles and my average is 36mpg. I reset the computer as soon as the guy came back with a full tank. Hopefully I’ll do better than 36mpg in the end. At 70mph on the freeway it only seemed to be in the high 40s.. How fast can you drive and still get good fuel economy?

Anyway, it's a lovely car. I can't wait to go on long far trips in it.

I got back home and showed the car to some friends and they started talking about how you'll never break even with the car. Then I said what are you comparing it to? They said a Corolla.. It's not only about saving money; it's about getting more value. So what you paid a little more for the car, it's a TOTALLY cool car. Furthermore, so what I'll never make up the money in fuel economy, the car is still WORTH more because I paid more. So in the end I’m still ahead because I didn’t burn my money away in the pump and I've actually got something to show.

But I’m going to be here for a while and I’m trying to learn how to maximize the fuel savings.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congratulations on your new car and welcome to PriusChat!

If you want to save another $1K, look on the links on the left for "Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty Service Contracts." You can cancel the warranty the dealer skinned you for and buy a genuine Toyota warranty, the same as the one you cancel, for just under $1K. It's like found money...

There's lots of good information here and mostly friendly people. I hope we see you on and posting a lot more.

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    And a little more: do you know you don't even have to decide about buying an extended warranty until 3 yr/36K mi.? You can buy one now, but it won't do you any good until one of those limits arrives. As Bill says, the cost here (through a friendly dealer in MA) is $990---for $0 deductible.

The average dealer price for one is about $1500---and that gives them more than 50% profit! Your dealer made out like a bandit.

Aside from that, congrats and welcome! Up on the plateau you'll have to learn to drive the Prius so the wind's always at your back. :rolleyes:

(non-Californians: 240sxer lives in one of the windier places in our state, atop the plateau where you begin to make your descent into the Los Angeles Basin)

4. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

Yeah.. I'll look into removing the warranty. I got it financed with the car tho... Damnit.. Will the MA warranty be good all over? CA too? Can I cancel my current one? Even worse mine has a $50 deductable... I got scammed

I drove it around a bit tonight and I got it up to 43mpg average now. It's a pretty slow car. But it's still fun to drive. Plus you can't beat 43mpg, I hope it gets better though. The car has 101miles on it now. My wife is going to take it to work tomorrow. I'm trying to get her to learn how to drive it efficiently. I told her if she shows anyone the car that if they press the reset button there is going to be hell to pay (I wanna track).. lol..

5. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

welcome to the geeky obsession that is the prius :p

As long as were saving some petrol $$$ and helping the environment, the geeky label isnt that bad :D

6. notsure

notsure New Member

I sure don't find it a slow car, the pick up is great, maybe I feel this way as I have been driving trucks for the last 6 years, the last one being the pinz.

I love this car!

7. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

8. Howard

Howard New Member

Congratulations on your new car.

9. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

10. agile pagile

agile pagile New Member

Bill Merchant is so right. Do not delay. Get rid of that $2000 ext warranty and save yourself some big bucks. $985 is the price you are shooting for. Good Luck!

11. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

Can I get rid of the warranty I have now? I'm going to go in today and talk to them about it. I'd rather just cancel that portion and pay $990 cash for the same thing. It will work in CA fine right?

It's not SUPER slow, but my other car is a 2002 Sentra GXE 5speed and it's got a LOT more power than the Prius. But i'm not used to automatic cars, my only auto is my 240sx but that has 400hp/440tq so that's a bit different. I'm not dogging the car, I love it. But it is a bit slow. I also find myself wanting to go lower speeds because I notice the increased gas mileage! How is that for keeping people safe! If I don't take the freeway and take the back road at 55mph It gets much better than 70mph on the freeway.

12. notsure

notsure New Member

Just tell them you changed your mind and want to cancel the policy, you will get all your $$'s back, or a credit on you loan, if you have a loan.

Don't mention getting it cheaper on line from Troy.

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Congrats!!

There are many factors dealing with the mileage. Things like the tire pressure, weather, length of drive and even the amount of oil all contribute.

14. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

My Sentra averaged around 32mpg, so this is at least 10mpg better right of the bat. Which is like an additional 100miles + per tank, that's pretty significant.

15. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

The extended warranty is the "official" Toyota Platinum one, honored at all Toyota dealers. Yours was $50 deductible? Yeah, they REALLY ripped you. They made nearly as much profit from the extended warranty as they did from the car! BTW, the worst price that's been reported here so far is about $2400---but you were close. :(

You can cancel by calling Toyota Financial Services directly, but you may want to talk to the dealer about it anyway---just to let him know YOU know how much they took advantage of you. Troy Dietrich of Greenfield Toyota, who sells these to us, asked that we not use his name in "leveraging" other dealers, but there's nothing wrong in letting your dealer know you found out you can buy one at $990 "from another dealer".

16. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "If I don't take the freeway and take the back road at 55mph It gets much better than 70mph on the freeway. "

i'm sure this is basically true for most all cars

17. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Don't jump to too many conclusions about your MPG before you've gone through 3 or 4 tankfuls. With the cooler weather now, you can figure on getting around 4-8 MPG more in spring through fall, depending on how much you run the AC.

The best way to "measure" whatever "kick" the Prius has is by putting your foot in it to accelerate from 40 to 75 MPH, such as merging onto the freeway, or passing someone. Don't be afraid to do that. Its mid-range acceleration is far greater than its off-the-line.

18. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

19. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on your new car!

Tell them to compare to the Camry then come back when they're done.