1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New prius owner.. how am I doing on Mileage!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by J_w73, Sep 24, 2009.

1. J_w73

J_w73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just purchased a certified pre-owned 2007 Prius 5 days ago. I am halfway through my first full tank and am averaging about 51 mpg. This is all freeway. 3 of the days with a 100 lbs of bowling balls in the back. With the AC on medium to low almost all the time.
    About 80 miles I didn't want to play all the prius speed/foot position games and just drove..

haven't done anything with the tire pressure either.

51 MPG according to the computer.. good? bad?

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fairly good. Some people do better but it's very well within the normal to good range. :)

3. desertrider2215

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know what your commute looks like, but I have a lot of hills when I drive around. I think your mileage is great, of course there are the people on here who get 60+ etc..BUT for people like me who do drive like a mad man, use the AC, and drive with hilly terrain, 51 sounds great..

glad you're enjoying your prius!

4. J_w73

J_w73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just going to "drive!" on the next tank and see what the difference is..
    after that I might try the faster acceleration to coasting speed and see how that works..
    thanks for the info

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You're dong great! If I'm running the AC when the temp's are 90 or 100, I'll be in the high 50's / low 60's mpg ... and I've been 'practicing' for about 5 years ... so keep up the good anticipatory driving.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Gen II Prius is EPA rated at 45mpg combined. So you're doing better than that. In other words, you have bragging rights.

Keep it up!!

7. J_w73

J_w73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks.. and this is almost all highway 65 plus speed.. only about 5 x 6 miles a day in the city..
    check this out though. still on my first tank .. about 400 miles in.. and at 51.4 mpg on the MFD(i think it is called)
    on my way home and on my way to deal with the dealership so I'm not is a very good mood and don't feel like playing any prius acceleration/feathering games. I just drvve 70+ all the way home...I didn't ever punch it .. never went past 1/4 throttle really (i think.. have never opened it up at all...) my average mileage on the mfg went all the way up to to 51.9.. I gained .5 mpg average with that many miles on the trip odometer already.. that means I was clocking some pretty high mpg to get the average to move that much..
    so now I don't know what it better.. play the game or just drive.. I had to fill up at 451 miles and put 9 gallons in.. so that is showing 50.1 mpg and the mfd 51.9.. It seems with the bladder fuel tank the mfd is more accurate.. I am going to hook up my scanguage this weekend for another source of data..