1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner in Ireland!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by EtN, Feb 27, 2008.

1. EtN

EtN Irish-Italian Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello all,

Following a very scary accident, fortunately without serious consequences for anyone (while the car itself has given up her poor life to save ours), I decided I needed a new car. Well I had my mind set on the Prius from the start to be honest, but me and my wife to be, after the scare, wanted a car that was big enough and with ISOFIX attachments (although no babies...yet) and with every possible safety gimmick we can afford. I was able to find a Prius for a reasonable price (model year 2007), and the geeky electronics are a good fit to the nerd in me :).
    It's a base model so no fancy stuff, and changing from a manual with NO accessories at all to an automatic with all sorts of electronic assistance (traction control? EBD? stability control? whew). They could have included alloys at least though, at least for eco-reasons :p.

I'm still familiarizing with 'the thing' so I look forward to reading ALL about the car and above :)

Tony

2. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Tony. Congratulations on the new ride. Glad to hear that you are doing ok after the car accident. Don't forget to post some pics.

3. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    erin go bragh!:welcome:

4. billarb

billarb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome, Tony. It's so neat to read messages from Prius owners around the world. Enjoy your car and you should feel good about having made a good choice.

Bill

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Tony, welcome to PriusChat! You'll have to tell us what's on your "base" model, since Prius are different in different market areas. No alloy wheels? The base North American model has them.

One thing all Prius have is an ultra-high-strength steel cage around the passenger compartment, so it is a very safe car. Does yours have side curtain air bags?

6. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Where abouts in Ireland are you? I took a 2 week trip out there in April 06, second trip, and love it. Though I don't like what they've done to the Cliffs of Moher. Made a point the first time to walk out to the edge and hang my feet off, sitting on the edge of the world. This time I had to jump the concrete wall to get out there. We stayed out on the Dingle pennensula and drove all over the place. Even a trip across country to Dublin to tour the Guiness factory and have pint fresh off the teet.

Absolutely beaufiful country and the people are great, even to us snobby yanks LOL.

Friend of mine is celiac and was told it would be hard time finding food to eat. The first resturant we went to the waitress not only knew what it was but helped with the menu like it was nothing, dumb yanks. I was amazed at the healthy choices of food in the grocery stores, much better than over here.

Rings of Kerry is awsome and the road rallye was the best time.

7. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Whats the craic!? Here is a picture of me in Dublin:
    [​IMG]

8. EtN

EtN Irish-Italian Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello all and thanks for all the replies!

I live in Cork, in the South of Ireland. The car (I have some pics, which I'll post later) was bought in Tralee, town of the Rose of the same name (of course), in the county of Kerry near Killarney. It is a 'light olive' (green-gray) colour that my wife to be likes a lot. I think the exact tone is the "pine mica" or something like that in the US of A.

The Base model of the Prius here in Ireland, like previously noted, does not have alloy wheels. That sucks, even from an environmental point of view. Ah well I can fit them when my ship comes in in terms of cash. :). Other missing things are cruise control (pity), sat nav/bluetooth/fancy stereo (there's the stock one which is ok but nothing to write home about), front fogs (can live without them) and parking sensors (pity..). The price for a *new* base model (mine's 6 months old so it was cheaper) is 31.000 euro which is a lot of dollars :p.
    On the upside, it includes all the security gadgets such as stability control, brake assist and all that sort of stuff, including curtain airbags. It does have the EV switch :).

It is of course VERY different from any car I've driven before, don't forget we're in the land of manual transmission and many, many people shun automatics. Personally, I like the added comfort of the CVT and I don't understand what the fuss is about about using a manual, unless of course it's a sporty car and not a 5 door family saloon like the Prius. I would have liked some more accessories as standard since the price is jolly high even for the massively overpriced Irish standards. At least the alloys, for crying out loud, you can get alloys as standard in a bleeping Kia!.

Tony

9. EtN

EtN Irish-Italian Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And here's a picture as promised ;)

[​IMG]

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. Tchou

Tchou Member

The wheels are alloy, magnesium to be precise...

12. Tchou

Tchou Member

As a lot of french at least would like to have electro chromatic rearview mirror, HID lights, pressure sensors, the choice of interior colors, the new blue exterior paint, anti theft, backup camera Disable able warning sounds...
    and at the price you have it in the US....

I paid mine (a sol pack JBL, a touring without the equipments above, with 4 discs, height adjustable seats) about the equivalent of $47300

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch! $47,300 will get you two Prii here.

But your better food + more social services + 4 wheel disc brakes + height adjustable seats = a fair trade.:p

14. hwalker911

hwalker911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Welcome to the group, your car looks great...Happy Motoring!:)

15. EtN

EtN Irish-Italian Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

So the plastic thingies are just protective covers for the real alloys? Because I had alloys on the old car and the spokes were cute, metallic and exposes. As a plus, these ones being plastic don't bother me as much in relation to kerbing (parking is a jungle, my friends..).
    For the other equipment, no electrochromatic mirror (pity) but 4 discs and adjustable seats are standard on all Prii here.

Tony

16. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the price difference is crazy. It sort of reminds me of how when a retail grocery store that I used to work for built about 10 stores in the Cleveland OH market and bought up the smaller competitor up there. They priced all the merchandise in the store at super low competitive prices to gain market share meanwhile in the market that I lived in they raised prices to make up the difference as they had a dominating 45 % market share in this area. They simply wanted to gain as much market share as possible in an area that was much larger then mine.

Anyway I am suspicious that Toyota is playing this game, Sell the Prius in the States at or slightly below all costs of production, distribution, and marketing and make up the difference in Europe. (pity)

17. EtN

EtN Irish-Italian Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    None of that.
    Automobiles of ALL brands are priced differently here due to different tax structure and all sorts of other reasons such as VAT, registration taxes and so on and so forth. It isn't by any means a problem that's limited to a particular brand or model. Try visiting any of the European sites for the manufacturers (such as the .co.uk ones) and comparing the prices. :)

Tony

18. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    4 Disc brakes is a plus. Your wheels look great.

19. EtN

EtN Irish-Italian Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks!!!!

They look like alloys on the outside (like I've seen on other Toyotas) but they're actually plastic bits that conceal the real wheel behind. Strange innit?

Tony

20. ktoepp

ktoepp New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Congrats on your new Prius, Tony. A lot of people just pull those plastic wheel pieces off.

nevermind...I just looked at your photo again. Your wheels look great.