1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner in Miami FL

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by bonshawman, Mar 7, 2008.

1. bonshawman

bonshawman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi everyone

I am the former owner of a 2001 Honda Insight (which we kept from new through 80,000+ miles), and picked up a 2008 package 2 on Sunday.

I have a number of other vehicles for work and recreation, including 4x4's, military vehicles, classic vehicles, an assortment of trailers, RV's, transport trucks.

I aired the tires up (dealer had them at around 30), to 40 front, 38 rear (they are rated to 44 PSI), took off the trim rings, and I am only about 150 miles out (from new), and am currently @ 41.8 mpg, which I know will improve with break-in and tweaking and, of course, my driving habits. Being as it is the 70's, and of course will climb to the 90's during summer, I have the a/c set on auto, @ 72 degrees. I have also already had the back window and windshield strip tinted with 35%, and the side windows with 20%, and have window vent shades on order (so I can keep the windows cracked in the sun). I assume these will create a slight "drag", but it is much better for the interior of the car (here in the sunshine state), to not have the heat build up.

I was pleased to roll along through a school zone on the electric motor at 16MPH, and like the room of the Prius. I have already done a "test drive" with my 120# Rotweiller and his 60# girlfriend, as each weekend I head up to my camp, which is 126 miles each way. So later today we go for a ride, and it will be my first trip of any distance. Howard, the Rott, has already figured out how to lie on his back and stare up through the rear window....

Next weekend I have a 1,000 mile R/T to South Carolina and back. My 83 year old father can't wait to see the Prius - he considered one but ended up with a Honda (non-hybrid). He will really enjoy the displays.

I had a friend who purchased a 2001 Prius when I purchased my Insight, and he has since traded it, but is waiting to see a 2009 and read reports about even better MPG, as he may wade back in. Our fuel prices seem to hover around 3.25-3.45 for regular, which beats the 3.75 I have to pump in my diesels.

I am pleased with the performance thus far. I traded in a Pontiac Trans Am (with 403 V8) once for a new VW Rabbit with a stick and a diesel engine, and A/C (and a sun roof !). The dealer told me, the VW has three braking systems:
    1. Foot brake
    2. Parking brake
    3. If you are not going at least 40 MPH and you turn on the A/C it will throw you right through the windshield !

Glad to know times have changed !!

2. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome!!
    You must post a picture of your new baby. Boy or Girl??

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi bonshawman, welcome to PriusChat! I think you'll really appreciate the electric AC down there in Miami. The Air Conditioning system, in the broadest sense, is superb.

4. PAPARYNO

PAPARYNO New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome!!!!!!!! I've had my 2008 only 2 days and WISH i had a trip to go on. I love this car and constantly look for excuses to drive anywhere!!
    post some pics.

5. Shieldsy

Shieldsy Prius Fruitcake

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome abaord! I also can vouch for the airconditioning. I often get back into the car after a day at work with an outside temp of 37 degrees C (100+ F) and the inside like an oven.

I crank all the windows down and by the time I get to the first traffic light (Battery stealth all the way) I crank them back up and am already starting to feel comfortable.

6. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome Miami FL Owner

I'm just up the road in Ft. Lauderdale. My 2006 is coming up to 45,000 miles and other than when I park in the summer sun and have to "air out" the car for a few seconds the A/C works just fine. I leave the temp set to 72 degrees all year and I've been averaging around 47-48 MPG with 75% highway driving at 72 MPH.

I replaced the crap OEM Integrity tires with Goodyear ComforTreds at 15,000 miles; hugh improvement in ride, noise, wet handling and wear. With both sets of tires there was a few thousand mile break-in period where FE was off a few MPG's; your 41.9 MPG will improve. 40/38 psi seems to be the magic number in South Florida, but check often because neither set of tires hold that pressure for more than a two weeks or so; they seem to have a memory for around 35psi. I'm thinking of getting a nitro-fill, but my dealer (Maroone Toyota in Davie - pretty good) sets my tires back to 35/33 at each service.

Finally, check your air filter often. I'm now replacing mine every 10,000 miles. It must be the humidity, but my MPG's start dropping as I approach every other 5,000 mile oil change. Check the cabin filter too.

Other than replacing the OEM tires at 15K miles, wiper blades last year, 5,000 mile oil/filter changes and my air filter routine, my Prius remains untouched by any mechanic's hands. I don't see anything except possibly another set of tires being needed for the next 25,000 miles when I trade for a: Gen III Prius; Gen I Lexus dedicated Hybrid; or a Mercedes 220CDI BlueTec.

7. bonshawman

bonshawman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks everyone. My first tank average was 46.4MPG.

So far, with about 1/2 tank used on #2 fill-up, I am now @ 52.7MPG with blended local and highway driving.

I'll have my 1,000 mile trip coming up this weekend, so I'll be able to see how she does on the interstate for extended periods.

Not sure if she's a boy or a girl (yet).....:eek: