1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner Joining the Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheLastPicasso, Apr 29, 2006.

1. TheLastPicasso

TheLastPicasso New Member

My silver Prius was delivered to my vet's office because I couldn't pick it up Thursday. The salesman offered to bring it to me. How did he know I just couldn't wait to drive it? B) It couldn't be that I had called him so many times...

He wasn't getting great mileage (in the 30's I think) from delivery, but I immediately improved that. The kids and I took the dog home, had dinner, and my husband and son went to baseball practice. I left the dishes on the table and headed out to play with my new toy.

During the trip my 11 yr. old daughter accidently reset the mileage. After I got over being upset I noticed how great my mpg was. By the time I got home I was averaging 58 mpg. How about that? FYI I had traveled about 30 miles after she reset the mileage.

We are now averaging 51-52 mpg after the trip yesterday to the dealership with a lot of red lights and about 50 miles of my driving. I'm amazed.

Also, I've been lurking for about a week and reading and trying to pick up helpful hints. This place is great. The only question I have at this point is: Should I have received a valet key? I only received two keys and the salesman said he was mistaken and that my car didn't come with any more.

2. Emma

Emma New Member

I didn't see a notation under your avatar as to which package you got in your Prius...but I'm going to assume you have the SKS, since most packages come with that. If that is the case, I don't believe there is a valet key. If there is, I got ripped off, since I didn't get one... :lol:

3. TheLastPicasso

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Emma @ Apr 29 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]247307[/snapback]</div>
    I got a package #1. Looks like I need to edit my profile??

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Woo Hoo, WELCOME ABOARD!!!! :D :D :D

5. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Welcome to PC, Ms. Picasso, and congrats on your Prius!

Geez, if you're starting off with over 50 MPG, you should be in the 70's with a little practice and when it's up around 90. :lol:

Sounds as if the car was at least largely YOUR doing, if I'm not reading too much into it. If that's the case, would you care to elaborate a bit?

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The first 5 minutes of driving holds down the total average mileage. If you reset the mpg after the car is already warm, you'll show much better mpg. Don't be too surprised if mpg for the rest of the tank drops gradually.

On the other hand, those hot Alabama temperatures will keep your battery from getting as cold overnight, and that will help your mpg. Mine does a LOT better after the battery reaches 80 degrees (and above).

7. TheLastPicasso

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Apr 30 2006, 03:19 AM) [snapback]247488[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I did a lot of reading here before I drove my car. :lol: We've taken a couple of short trips and one with a lot of red lights and I'm down to 51.5 mpg. School/my work is about 10 miles one way. I have to say my biggest disappoint this weekend is that I've been sick and haven't been able to play wity my new toy.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "sounds as if the car was at least largely YOUR doing..." Well, I'm the negotator in the family and did the negotating during our spring break. Hubby is a physics professor/dept. chair at the local university and is pretty excited about the car and technology, too.