1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner, looking for some general info.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by EvanStreetwiser, Feb 5, 2011.

1. EvanStreetwiser

EvanStreetwiser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm 16 and my grandmother purchased a 2008 Prius for me as my first car. I am absolutely in love with the car, but want to know if there is anything I can do or should know to ensure I'm getting the best MPG and longest life of the car.

It took my a few weeks to settle into the different drivestyle of the Prius and adjust my habits to maximize MPG. I coast towards red lights from a distance rather than braking, use the brakes as little as possible, cruise control and gradual accelerations. I got the car in October, and living in Wisconsin means I have yet to realize my full nice-weather potential. I tend to keep the defogger/heat off as much as possible, I noticed it boosted my MPG a bit. I am averaging about 33.4 MPG. This seems a little low to me, and it worries me.

I am also gathering Prii require a very different maintenance standards than other cars, I was wondering if someone could tell me a bit about what is needed and when. I love my car and baby it to a sick standard.

I got the car at about 22,800 and am around 28,000 now. I have been in for once oil change.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome.

Regarding the maintenance schedule, if the Maintenance and Warranty booklet is not in the glove compartment then you can find an online version here:
    Toyota Vehicle Warranty - Toyota Vehicle Maintenance Schedules

You can do lots of things yourself if you wish to save money, for example the air filter and engine oil/oil filter changes. Do a search if you need help figuring that out.

Regarding your 33.4 mpg, this does seem low depending upon how long your trips are. If you drive very short trips then this is to be expected, since the mpg over the first five minutes is going to be ~25 mpg or so.

Check your tire inflation. Although the spec is for 35/33 psi many owners use a higher pressure consistent with the max cold inflation pressure on the tires' sidewalls. I use 44/42 psi.

Make sure that the engine oil level is not overfilled. It should not be above the top dimple on the engine oil dipstick.

Since you live in a very cold area, do a search for "grill block" to learn about how to restrict the flow of cold air past the radiator and the conditions where this is appropriate.

Since you live in an area with snow, check the condition of your tires. Minimum acceptable tread depth is 6/32" when driving in snowy conditions. If you have any doubt about your tires, it would be wise to replace them rather than have them be the cause of an accident. You can search for lots of recommendations here regarding appropriate tires depending upon your locale and driving conditions. Good luck.

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice grandma.

4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My personal experience is that the car's performance is sensitive to variations in the tire pressure. Check it often (which is soemthing you should really be doing in all cars anyway).

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can someone post that link to the Prius questionnaire? To help diagnose low mileage issues it helps to know about the driving profile since that makes such a big difference.

But as Patrick wrote, ensure tires are inflated at least to the door ratings.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  7. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's really great to know how to use a glide for slowing down, or as part of a driving technique.

For me I find it especially helpful to think of the math. If when you have your foot on the gas (the pulse) you see about 20 mpg, and then glide for the same distance you pulsed, you'll get 40 mpg. If you glide twice as long as you originally pulsed, you get 60 mpg, and so on. If you're able to average then just 30 mpg when you have your foot on the gas (not too hard to do compared to 20 mpg), and glide for the same distance as you pulsed, you get 60 mpg, and if you glide twice as long...90 mpg!

I recently got a Prius myself, and with so much info on grill blocking packed into this forum, let me share a nugget that took me awhile to figure out (by figure out I mean I had to ask and someone told me directly).

On the 2nd generation Prius like you have, it's safe to block the upper grill completely at lower temperatures, but never block the lower grill completely, particularly the third or so of the lower grill on the driver's side.

You should still read more about that in other threads, but just fyi.