1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner, Many Questions.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hunterxaz, Jan 15, 2011.

1. hunterxaz

hunterxaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm certain there are many FAQs and stickies spread around these forums, and the general sticky in here that says "New to Prius?" doesn't cover the questions I have. Hopefully my questions are similar to others, but frankly, I find it a bit tough to find information around here.

So here goes, I hope if you have some input you can answer some of my questions. :)

1) I have a 2007 Prius III, it's got the JBL system, 6-disc changer, back-up camera, etc. It's nav-capable (or so my steering wheel says) but I don't have the nav system. Is there a way to add-on an OEM style Nav system and not some janky dash/air-conditioner vent mounted unit? I like my cars to stay OEM looking.

2) I have Sirius, but not the SAT unit for the car. Are there some online retailers that sell the necessary adapter for a good price?

3) What is pulse/glide? You speed up to a high speed and then let the breaking take over to build up energy and cruise at 99.9mpg?

4) Where is the best place to mount a subwoofer? In the storage unit by spare tire? Under the seats?

5) If you buy a different sized tire (say +1 or +2, ie 16 or 17) will that mess up fuel economy? The stock rims look kind of dumb.

I'm sure I will think of more but those are the most pressing, and there is no real one-stop shop place for info on these common questions for new owners.

Thanks in advance

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1) How do you know that your steering wheel says it's nav capable? Do you have a map button the wheel? To the sides of your MFD, do you have DEST or MAP buttons?

If you have no nav, even if there were aftermarket nav systems that looked OEM, it'd likely be VERY expensive vs. even a high end PND. I would go w/the PND.

3) Pulse and Glide plus Warp Stealth in the Prius II for maximum FE … - CleanMPG Forums

5) You will suffer some mileage reduction w/larger wheels. Besides that, you should pick tires w/lower rolling resistance unless you want further degradation. Even if you were to replace the (presumably worn or somewhat worn) tires you have w/brand new tires of the exact same model and size, you will probably see some mileage drop, at least initially. See Tire Tech Information - Tire Rolling Resistance Part 3: Changes to Expect When Switching from Worn-Out to New Tires.

3. hunterxaz

hunterxaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On my steering wheel, it says "Map" and I hit it, and on the display it says "External System Not Connected" -- other than that on my display it says "Audio" "Climate" "Info" and something else. Not "Map" though.

I will read the info you linked.

Thanks!

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's really weird.

If you have no MAP nor DEST hardware buttons next to the MFD (multi-function display), perhaps someone swapped in a steering wheel from a nav equipped Prius? I don't think any Priuses ever came equipped in this funky manner (useless MAP button on the wheel).

5. hunterxaz

hunterxaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure. The Carfax says 1 owner, and maintenance reports list nothing that would indicate that. Either way, it's still wired to something.

6. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing to try to find out was what options the car had at time of manufacture. You say a Prius III, but it 2007 it would have had a Package number, so do you mean Package #3? How do you know? Do you have the original sticker?

I think, but can't say for sure that the cars that had the JBL system, 6-disc changer like yours had the controls for the radio on the steering wheel and that included the map button even though it was non-functional. Do you also have on the wheel buttons for a phone control and voice activated commands?

If on the multi-fuction display (MFD) you only have 4 buttons and not 6 buttons, then the MFD you have does not support the NAV. You can confirm that there is no DVD player under the driver seat.

Someone on the forum once priced out adding an OEM system, do a google search of the forum and you should find it. It was way more expensive than the factory option originally and likely on a used vehicle way cheaper to just find one that has that option...

Google Advanced Search

7. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought mine new with the useless map button. None of the other gps buttons are around the mfd, just the map button on the wheel.

8. hunterxaz

hunterxaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So does anyone know what the deal is to that question, and the sound questions?

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's a bit odd to me, but I haven't looked at the insides of enough Priuses to know for certain. :redface: I've have my fully loaded one except for leather (package NL) and have tended to be in stripped down ones, if any at all.
    https://priuschat.com/forums/knowle...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html might help the OP determine what he's got, in the absence of a sticker.

10. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As to the subwoofer question, there are many answers. Depends on your preference really. My project was fun but not everyone wants to put that much into it. Others are happy to pay a good shop to make a cubby mounted enclosure and wire the amp, etc. Powered low profile units have made others happy enough. Search the "Gen II Prius Audio and Electronics" section for "subwoofer" and you'll see plenty of ideas.

- D

11. hunterxaz

hunterxaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want something out of sight, and that sounds good. That's the only two requiprements. I listen to a lot of metal and hardcore. :)

My model:

#4 HK Package:
    JBL Audio AM/FM/6-CD/MP3/WMA w/ 9 Speakers, Auxiliary Input Jack, Smart Key System, Backup Camera, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Bluetooth Handsfree, Electrochromic Auto Dimming Mirror, Homelink Integrated Garage Door Opener, Theft Deterrent System, High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights, Foglights

12. Despo

Despo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine did... Nav / Bluetooth buttons on steeringwheel, but no additional buttons at MFD...

I do not get any messages when i press the steeringwheel tough.

//Tobias