1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner - Question on Dealer vs. Independant Shop

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JC09PRIUS, Nov 2, 2010.

1. JC09PRIUS

JC09PRIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just purchased a 2009 Prius with 45,000 miles. Love the car and the mileage it gets.

I have always used a very trusted and competant independent repair shop in my area. They have taken care of all my cars for the past 15 years (many of these cars have hit 250,000 miles or more). They don't upsell useless services and offer honest advice (I have a mechanic's background so I know when dealers are being untrustworthy).

This independant repair shop actually has several Prius loaner cars in their fleet so I am fairly comfortable that they can handle anything the dealer can.

That being said are there any tools or proceedures in terms of maintenance that can only be done at a dealer? What has most people's exeprience been on this board with independant repair shops handling maintenance on the Prius? Is it the same as any other car?

Appreciate feedback. :)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are many service procedures (mostly having to do with the skid control ECU and braking system) that require the Toyota diagnostic laptop or equivalent. However, nothing (besides time, interest and money) prevents the competent independent servicer from acquiring the knowledge and the equipment to do that service.

If your shop advertises that they specialize in Toyota hybrids, then that is a good sign. If not, then you may want to inquire into their capabilities so that you can decide for yourself.

If you want to see prominent examples of independent shops that have attained this specialization, do a Google search for Luscious Garage in San Francisco and Art's Automotive in Berkeley, CA.