1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner - Rear Bumper Hit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by modernsituations, Feb 27, 2006.

1. modernsituations

modernsituations New Member

Hello all, kinda sad to introduce myself like this but oh well...it has to happen somehow.
    Got my silver prius #7 last week and so far i'm loving it. I came from a big v8 with big problems. Now i'm in heaven with the prius.

Now the sad news. My girlfriend was backing up last night in our driveway and didn't see a friends car that was there, backup camera and all. My bumper cracked. Anyone know what the cost of this may be? I'm pretty sure i'll need a whole new part. I'm still pretty upset. but what can you do.

anyhow i look foward to contributing the forum whenever possble. here's a link to the prius without the bumper hit. http://www.modernsituations.com/prius.jpg

cheers

2. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Junior Member

Wow...so sorry to hear that. It totally sucks!
    I got rear ended a couple of months after I got my Prius. It wasn't bad but they still had to replace the bumper. Insurance took care of it but I think the cost was about 850 bucks or so. They even reimbursed me for the replacement carpool lane sticker! The quote I got from the dealer-owned body shop was about 1200 bucks.
    After I got the car back, I had ordered the replacement carpool sticker but was driving w/only the front sticker...so then I got pulled over on an HOV onramp. I showed the officer my receipt for the sticker (which I just happened to grab as I ran out the door that morning) and he reluctantly let me go. Hee hee hee!!!!!

Get quotes and compare. Make sure they are replacing it with a new real Toyota Prius part. And the transparent decal (the PRIUS one) has to be ordered too!

Good luck!

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In case your insurance does not cover it, try eBay. You could have a decent one for $150 ~ $300 depending on whether it is new or used.

4. modernsituations

modernsituations New Member

Just wanted to update you guys on my unfortunate event. The little guy is getting fixed this week and the whole deal will cost around $550.00

Word to the wise, even if you are certain your girlfriend is an amazing driver, you as the passenger should also look around before she takes off! =\

"WE HAVE THE DANG BACK UP CAMERA!" :blink:

5. tcrowson

tcrowson New Member

I had a young man crash into my 04 left rear bumper when the car was 2 months old and his insurance company had to pay $2,800 for the full repair. The replacement bumper did not come painted. The body shop had to paint a primed bumper and install it, fix a small bump on the trunk door and retouch it. Including a car rental it was shocking how much it cost. There is an alternative. Bumper repair shops that basically re-glue the vinyl bumper, sand the seam and paint the spot. Get an estimate from one of them before replacing the whole bumper.