1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner - second post - AM Radio reception expectations???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jaichim24, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Jaichim24

Jaichim24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I'm in my second week of driving my "new to me" 2005 Prius. I'm enjoying it so far. I'm trying to put together a few issues to bring back to the dealer to look at. I thought I would post here to see if they are a problem, or just something I need to get used to with the Prius.

I'm under 40 years old and I listen to AM radio, sue me! :) I am severely disappointed in the reception my radio receives, specifically the AM radio. I have the 6 disc changer, as well as the enhanced audio package, if that helps.

I listen to 1080, a news station, and 1410, the ESPN station. 1080 is a HUGE station and I have never had any trouble getting reception anywhere in my state. With my old car I would get some occasional static and some interuptions which I think is common with AM broadcast. With the Prius I cannot make out what is being said. There is constant static, background noise, and even over flow broadcasting from other stations. The 1410 is a weaker broadcast, but I know when I should be getting good reception during my commute to work.

Is this what I have to settle for with the antenna set up with the Prius, or could something be wrong? Are there any known issues?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jai

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a lot of AM radio reception problems with my '04. The dealer replaced the antenna and signal amplifier, but it really didn't help. They offered to replace the radio free (out of warranty), but by then I had decided to get an '09. I read several posts on POL about this same problem and it seems that the radio replacement corrected the problem. Most of the issues I read about were with the '04, but it's the same radio in the '05.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's certainly possible that your antenna is having a problem. Maybe there's a bad connection where the antenna cable attaches to the antenna, or to the radio. It's not easy to access the bottom of the antenna though, since the roof headliner has to be removed.

How's the FM reception, is that any better?

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    We have no issues in either our 2007 or 2008 and AM reception.
    We also both have the upgrade audio package.
    There should be no reason to have to suffer without decent reception.

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 06+ models are upgraded from the 04 models. You probably get a lot of static from the cars electronics. (high voltage hybrid system)

try listening with acc mode to see if the reception problem gets worse once the car turns on.... Btw it's been said that the dealers will fix this issue... There are multiple post here on priuschat about it.

6. Rob2112

Rob2112 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I get really bad am reception when I am moving or step on the gas pedal. When I'm parked or not stepping on the gas it is not bad. Any hints.