1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New prius owner since YESTERDAY!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by karcady13, Aug 9, 2007.

1. karcady13

karcady13 New Member

Hi everyone! :D

Since 2pm pacific time yesterday I am a proud new owner of a Silver 2007 Prius (package 2). :D
    $22,000 total + the extended warranty$1525-good deal??? :mellow:
    I signed up for was the 6yr/100000 extended warranty because I let the FEAR of not having enough protection get to me. Then I got home and checked out this site which had warnings against buying the warranty at the time of purchase. Ugg! :unsure:

I called the dealership back and they said I could cancel. But, they also said that CA has a higher level of extended warranty than other states(which makes the cost higher) and that if I did come in at 34,000 mi that it would cost me $150(maybe more in the future) point inspection before being able to purchase the warranty. Also, the dealer stated that every toyota product increases in price value by aprox. 15% a year so when I did purchase it in the future it would be that much more expensive. :eek:

Questions:
    1. Is the extended warranty different according to the state?
    2. Can I purchase the warranty from another state and have no problems using it in CA?

2. PapayaMom

PapayaMom New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priuschica2007 @ Aug 9 2007, 11:08 AM) [snapback]492976[/snapback]</div>

The dealer is still using scare tactics.

The cheaper one you can buy (and support Prius Chat at the same time) here is the SAME one your dealer sold you for $600 extra dollars. On that thread about the EWs is the phone number for the guy in MA who sells them with a % going to Prius Chat - I called him and was transfered right to him, he was able to answer my (slightly complex question ) in about two minutes and was very friendly. I suggest going through him.

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Up under Prius Accessories, click Discounted Extended Warranty.
    That will put you right into the thread about the EW, and you can get Troy's contact information.
    He's wonderful to work with.
    :D

4. jarrett_gorin

jarrett_gorin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priuschica2007 @ Aug 9 2007, 08:08 AM) [snapback]492976[/snapback]</div>
    You can come in at 34k miles and get the same warranty just by paying a $150.00 inspection fee?? My advice: Get the $1525.00 back from the dealer, dump it into a savings account or a CD that earns around 5%, and by the time you hit 34k miles (assuming you drive the average miles per year that the warranty contemplates), you can decide to buy it for the same $1525.00, and you will have earned enough interest to cover the inspection fee, and still have some left over to go out to dinner and celebrate :) Or, you might just decide to keep the money in your savings/cd and have it available to pay for repairs etc., since at that point you may be far less fearful of any catastrophic high-dollar repairs becoming neccessary. At least this way, you have a choice. As-is, they just have your money.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priuschica2007 @ Aug 9 2007, 11:08 AM) [snapback]492976[/snapback]</div>
    IMO the dealer is still trying to rip you off by using scare tactics. My advice is to avoid the extended warranty but if you really want one buy it here.

1. Same Toyota warranty everywhere.
    2. If a dealer won't honor the warranty then what good is the warranty? I had an Olds dealer close to my office tell me to take my Intrigue for warranty work elsewhere. GM's warranty was really useful. :angry: That dealer is now out of business. My heart bleeds. :D