1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner, slightly modded, mild MPG and Enjoying my first Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by #TrackAttackPrius, Sep 22, 2013.

1. #TrackAttackPrius

#TrackAttackPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey guys!
    ive been trolling around for a few weeks enjoying the info and tips that this forum offers, i Bought my lovely preowned Prius on 7-30 with 99509 miles on it from the Toyota dealer i work at and already racked up 7000 miles lol.
    Its a local owned single owner car that has a boat load of service records and was fully serviced before i bought it... best part is i got a killer deal;-)
    im a Amateur race car driver, this is the first non European car for my family and ive owned nothing but RWD German cars so this is a massive change for me... sadly i really do enjoy the car.

So far ive lowered it nearly 2 inches, painted the headlights, marker and taillights, built a Warm air intake for New England cold mornings and installed a ScanGaugeII, Soon ill be adding a set of lite weight Rota Classic grids, maybe the 2013 bumper with the Lovely LED's and the Extreme dimensions lip kit.

As far as MPG goes i currently avg 48.9 for the last 600 miles BUT that includes a very spirited cruise to a car show(i dropped to 36MPG leading a 700HP Porsche 911 turbo through traffic hehe) my usual MPG is in the mid to high 50 (58MPG on my last road trip of 230ish miles)

Truly this car has stumped my Father, Brother and ME! the simplicity of such a complex car is interesting. each time i have wrenched on the car i find it very well thought out and build well,

Track my Progress #TrackAttackPrius ... and yes i will track the car shortly, Maybe Lime Rock Park:)
    pri pri front.jpg pri pri front.jpg pri pri front.jpg photo 4.JPG marker lights.jpg 10_ToyotaPriusDuraflexK_1Complete1.jpg 10_ToyotaPriusDuraflexK_1Complete1.jpg photo 4.JPG marker lights.jpg

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I forgot to add my favorite mod! 20% tint all around and 30% full front tinted windshield.

Ray-o-Vac and spiderman like this.
  2. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Welcome to the Prius and Toyota family... I own 3 Toyota's... 2 Prii and 1 4Runner... One of my favorite products due to the high reliability....

I love what Toyota does for me.... lol...

Again, Congrats and welcome!

PS isn't illegal to have yellow headlights?

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. Always enjoy hearing high performance car drivers experiences in a Prius.

4. #TrackAttackPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

john rockefeller jr-"I believe that the law was made for man and not man for the law; that
    government is the servant of the people and not their master.:"

Hehe, that being said i use a ultra specific paint that dosent affect the color of the lights them self, but i do run Yellow HID hibeams

light.JPG

5. #TrackAttackPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    once i get the sway bar installed im thinking the car will come alive But i do need some pointers how to make the Brakes feel more consistent, aka my delicate left foot feels lied to when trying to find the threshold, but thats a post in its self.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    along with a center and forward brace (see Rude person's)...

I really like the Prius brake feel, especially knowing that that energy is going back into the battery for later use. Wife has a 11 Rolla and I truly dislike the feel of those!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    beautiful, all the best!(y)

#TrackAttackPrius likes this.
  8. ataylor2

ataylor2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You have to remember its not always using the brakes, actually uses them very little. Thats probably why it feels weird, I know it does for me, especially low speed light braking.

9. #TrackAttackPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    True but my main gripe is the Brake assist.

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You need to get some centercaps or knockout covers for your wheels. ;)

11. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    That's funny and crazy tinting the front windshield. I guess if you want to hide, it's great but what about visibility?

They have ceramic tints now that can do the job of heat reduction if that's the reason.

12. #TrackAttackPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_4390.JPG
    Dont lie...it looks tight.
    Visibility isent affected as much as i thought it was going to be... adversely i cant drive a non tinted car do to my eyes feeling as if their melting.

13. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    To be honest, far from the case. I'm a cyclist and I hate not being able to see the driver's eyes.

xpcman, #TrackAttackPrius and ftl like this.
  14. #TrackAttackPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Get off my roads YOU!!! lol thats a honest Grumble, but im a cyclist and that really never crossed my mind.

15. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Might be "tight" to you but it's illegal for countless reasons. Buy some shades.

Not so funny when you or someone you know gets hit by a car. Little things like that can reduce that chance.

ataylor2 likes this.
  16. #TrackAttackPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ugh Rolla's are like air mattress, yes they are a cheap form of bedding but id never want more then a night on one;) s

BTW thats me VS stock:) crap pic prius vs stock.jpg

17. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DUMB & SELFISH answer, when this kid gonna grow-up.....

ataylor2 and Sfcyclist like this.
  18. #TrackAttackPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Legally speaking im in the clear (chapter 90 Section 9D), i understand where your coming from but 'if a cyclist sees my eyes' is far from the mountain on concerns i have well driving.

:barefoot:
    im not here to "Type Tuff" but really i dont live in SF, or Boston. the biking culture is different Old man.

" I dont always wear my fire suit,
    but when i respond to posts like this i do"

19. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    "in the clear"? What are you reading? "the use of any transparent material limited to the uppermost 6″ along the top of the windshield, provided such strip does not encroach upon the driver’s direct forward viewing area as more particularly described and defined in applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards."

I don't see how biking culture would be any different anywhere. When in an intersection, either on a bike or in car, it's good to be able to see the other driver's head/eyes so we're aware they are looking. Even when I see a car stopped at intersection, I don't just blindly pass it assuming they see me.

You may be a racer but I don't sense you're using some of that track knowledge on the street. I've been on the track before and the rules there are even more safety oriented than on the road! I would think as a racer, you would respect safety more so and see the disparity between people's driving skill/level.

Anyhow, I don't want to argue but to hope to give you some insight and "think about it". That tint is not "tight". As you said it never crossed your mind so just think about it and why you "need" that to be.

ataylor2 likes this.
  20. #TrackAttackPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    People dont bike as much as other citys, its not likely if i come across 3-5 pedal powered machines. if i put as much emphasis on other peoples actions well driving i might as well park my car and start walking. FYI your point is i should wear sunglasses :cool:, how the heck is that different? covering your eyes with glasses or my windshield is going to result in the same issue:) maybe my issue is i understand my driving technique and how curious i am (y)

watch guard or patrol agencies are legal to have a fully front tinted window provided they have 2 rearward mirrows.

and yes my track knowledge has tough me to keep a eye on cyclists...