1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner. This is going to take some getting used to.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by howiehandles, Aug 1, 2013.

1. howiehandles

howiehandles New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just switched from a Dodge Durango Limited to a 2010 Prius. This is going to take some time. Miss being higher up, all the luxuries I had in that truck, but already don't miss the pump. Plus, I needed to put far too much money in that thing, and it only had 90k in miles. Dodge blows. Known engine issue, and they never put in a recall. Never again.

Any who, I went the Prius route as I wanted to save gas, so I might as well go all in. It's like driving a spaceship, and is surprising more roomy than I expected. I've never read my owner's manual of any car I've owned more than I've already read the Prius manual.

Question. Is there something wrong with the mileages/gas gauge? Seemed to get about 65 on my first gallon, but then the second gallon disappeared, and I'm at 95 total. I know this isn't an exact science, and probably reading way too much into those things.

Things I like so far: comfortable ride. radio is solid. all the gauges make me feel like I'm in a video game. Fueling is much less painful.

Things I don't like. The rear view. That double glass is distracting, and I'm sure it will be a pain in the snow. Also, can't get my Galaxy S3 to sync to my music. The phone works hands free without issue though.

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm sneaking this in while at work.

2. g4_power

g4_power Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Reset your trip calculator A or B, doesn't matter. Run your car for a few hundred miles and then see what your mpg is. If you are a light footed driver, you should get between 50 to 60 mpg. One of the main reasons why the Prius could get such high mpg is that it could glide. Meaning the car is moving while the engine (ICE) is off, not burning gas.

Although Toyota offers luxury options for the Prius, I haven't heard anyone telling me that they bought a compact car or mid-size car for comfort. I normally use the Prius to get to work and run around locally. For long trips, I still prefer my old van.

3. howiehandles

howiehandles New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I bought it, but just missed the ol' truck.It's much better than non-Prius owners will think it is, at least the ride noise and comfort. The ride is comfortable, my radio is good, and in the end, I bought this to save significantly at the pump. I'll still probably look to find a 4x4 on the cheap for the heavy snow days, but I'm happy with my purchase. Just really don't like the back window, and wish that I had a bit more trunk space. It was well worth my purchase.

4. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PC :) As you get accustomed to driving a hybrid (I assume it's your first), you will have other questions. Many have complained about the rear view set up and it takes some getting used to. Try folding down the rear seats and that can increase your view a bit more. It sounds like you have a model 3 or 4 since you mention the Bluetooth feature. Did you buy this from a dealer or a private party? If you post issues you might have, we can tell you if it's normal or should be taken back to the dealer for correction.

One thing to keep in mind now that you are driving a low profile vehicle is the vunerability of the lower front bumper. If you perpendicular park anywhere where there is a high curb, be careful not to bump the lower edge of your car against it - it is easily damaged. Someone mentioned gliding and you can use the instant MPG gauge to tell you when you have achieved a "glide". When you see it climb and stay above the 1/2 way mark (over 50 mpg), you are achieving a glide. This is best done on flat roads with constant traffic flow.

5. g4_power

g4_power Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No doubt that you're saving money on gas if you compared the Prius with your truck. However, if you compare the Prius with another gas-only car similar in size, you may not be saving money yet. It may take you a few years before you're actually start saving money. The Prius is a high-tech car and that technology isn't free. I wish it was though. The way I drive, it'll take about 4 years before I actually start saving money.

6. howiehandles

howiehandles New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Oh yeah, def my first hybrid. I'm guessing my old braking and accelerating habits could be the cause of the lower mileage. Just wondering too if the gauges are correct. I read somewhere that they're generally off about 3%. Not sure of the source where I read it. I bought it from a dealer, not a chain but a small independent. I'm sure that I'll be posting quite a bit going forward as I try to figure how to optimize this thing. lol

7. howiehandles

howiehandles New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

If I can get close to 50 mpg consistently, I'll be thrilled. That was the major reason I went with the Prius.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Winter tires do wonders for the handling in snow.
    If you are going through unplowed areas I would definitely go with a 4x4. But for the occasional unplowed street the winter tires are a lot cheaper than another vehicle.

But the big question is, what are you going to do with all the money you are saving on gas;-)

9. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TCO means you have to balance future resale value and maintenance costs. You might be saving money sooner...

10. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes - on the 2010s, the CONS or "average" MPGs are off by at least 3 to 4 mpgs better than you actually get. Also, when you brake, try not to get the CHG or "charge" section of the HSI all the way to the left too soon as that brings on the friction brakes and not the "regen" braking. By staying in the middle of the charge zone, you use mostly regen braking. It takes some practice.

11. howiehandles

howiehandles New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Ahhhh. I'm a rapid braker. Bad habit from driving the V8 like a madman. Another plus with the Prius, I'll be getting pulled over less because I'm trying to stay in the Eco zone.

Zythryn likes this.
  12. howiehandles

howiehandles New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I have so much to learn with this car. Feels as though I'm learning to drive all over again.

Seymour5000 likes this.
  13. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Once you get used to it, going back to a full-time ICE vehicle will seem strange. One more thing to consider (we can't tell from your profile where you live), you might encounter some "Prius rage" as other cars and trucks go out of their way to pass you. As you are refining your hybrid driving techniques, stay to the right as much as possible. If you live in So Cal, this should not be as much of an issue.

Bob G IA likes this.
  14. Michael King

Michael King Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I too made the jump from a V8 Tundra. You do get used to be being lower. Took about 6 months for me. The split window as well. Depending on how tall you are (I'm very tall) you might find it easier if you just ignore the bottom one.

You definitely will find that you do have to re-learn how to drive. The Prius excels as gliding, and it does not have the get-up and go of a V8. After about 1 month, you only miss it a little bit, and it will fade more with time.

You can drive a Prius two ways. You can just drive it, and not care about the MPG. You'll average around 45-50MPG.
    Or you can try to maximize it. This involves extreme changes to your driving habits and that's where you see the people with the 60 and 70 MPG averages.

I drive 160 miles round trip on the highway 5 days a week. I just peg it to 65 MPH with the cruise control. (A marked decrease from my pre-Prius standard of 75) and usually average 56-60MPG. When the cold weather hits, you will see a noticeable decrease in MPG, based on the effect of the airtemp on the Prius efficiency. Rain has the same effect.

Have fun with it. The fuel savings I had going from a 13MPG truck to a 50MPG car almost pays my car payment every month. Plus, my truck needed around 3,000-4,000 in repairs when I decided to trade, so it was time.

Bob G IA likes this.
  15. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no reason you shouldn't be able to get 50+mpg out of the Three, that's a pretty easy goal to attain.

You'll have to re-learn the bad habits many pick up from driving a high-powered SUV...
    -Don't punch it when the light turns green.
    -Don't panic stop at the red light.
    -Don't tailgate the vehicle ahead of you- it wastes momentum.
    -Keep it under 65mph.

16. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll always get more mileage from the top of the tank. After the fuel gauge float stops on it's limiter, you continue to pump fuel until the tank is full. You get added, unregistered fuel after the float reaches it's limit of travel in the tank.

Here's a simple diagram I made. I hope it helps to understand how it works.

Attached Files:

17. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Isn't fuel consumption determined by injector delivery and not tank level?

g4_power likes this.
  18. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don't take it literally that each gas gauge bar is equal to one gallon...or even the same quantity each. It is still an analog gas gauge being approximated on a display with 10 bars.

Mike

19. g4_power

g4_power Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I

Just keep your foot light unless you need the power for situations like getting on a freeway or avoiding an accident. Keep the Prius in "ECO" mode unless that's too weak for you. Then try the normal mode. You should have no problem in getting 50 mpg. Keep your tires at 40 psi and park your car in shades whenever possible. The Prius provides a lot of information on the HSI but depending where you're at, you may want to keep your eyes on the road instead looking at the HSI. Trying to get a few more mpg is not worth getting into an accident. Having a light foot will get you really good mpg without too much effort.

phoenixgreg likes this.
  20. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep.
    1. The gas gauge, like all analog gas gauges, just gives you a hint about how much gas is actually in there. On the Prius, "Full" means that you've got a gallon or two before you come off of full. 1/10 and Blinking means you've got ~1.5 gallons left (i.e, 30-50 miles, depending.)
    2. The MPG numbers and such are calculated by the engine computer. The computer jiggers up how much gas it thinks is going into the engine, divides by the miles, and gives you a report back on your MPG that's (usually) 3% or so too optimistic. There's a lot of variation in the readings, apparently, car to car, so Accuracy Is Not Us.
    3. The DTE (distance to empty) on the dash is supposedly the current MPG times the number of gallons in the tank. It's known to be wildly optimistic about how far you can go when the tank is full and wildly pessimistic when the tank is near empty. (I've seen it report -10 miles to empty when there's still a gallon in there.)

Still, the numbers aren't that far off and I like having them.

For me, moving from a Civic to this car was a shock because of all the emphasis on MPG. I drove the Civic like I was driving Indy; on this car, one can drive Indy-ish (it's got about the same acceleration and cornering as the Civic), but all the gauges telling you What A Bad Person You Are tends to put a damper on that kind of activity :).

KBeck.