1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner :)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Hausedp415, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Hausedp415

Hausedp415 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My partner and I just leased a 2012 Prius five model for 378 a month with a $1,000 down. They have it to us for 28,xxx plus fees. We figured it was a good deal and so far I love it. Just had a question on how long before we get better gas mileage? First tank returned 38.1 mpg and now we have 678 miles on it. Will it be a couple thousand miles before we get better gas mileage. Also we want to replace the Toyo tires since they are loud on the freeway, any good replacements that won't effect the gas mileage too much? Thanks. It has the 17" alloys which looks kinda nice on the blizzard pearl. Also we got it right before gas got to $5 bucks a gallon here in the SF Bay Area.

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats on ur new lease. If this is our first Prius, there is a unique method on how to drive them. There are a lot of threads about them. I'm sure others will chim in with links to them. As for the tires, F8L is a pretty good expert on what would be ur best tire. Just wait for him to chim in. I own a 2012 Prius 4 & avg 51-52mpg

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats--enjoy.

Regarding MPG, hills are a killer, so if you live/drive in hilly parts of SF, it's not going to help. Also, give it a while for the car to break in, which will help a bit.

4. Hausedp415

Hausedp415 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the replies guys! You guys are all awesome and make the Prius even more enjoyable to own with all the knowledge that's on this forum. I been reading through some threads. I actually find myself liking it more and more each day :)
    I do want to do a few things to the Prius like tint the back windows and new tires as soon as possible. The only thing that disappoints me is the lack of an alarm especially on the top of the line model five but will have Toyota install one. Thanks again.

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard! As far as an alarm... nobody steals a prius. :)

PriusGuy32 and sfv41901 like this.
  6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, not much need for the alarm.......unless ur going to get a big thumping stereo, TV's in the hardest & some big fancy chrome rims :D

7. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you are living in the City, especially some of the steeper/hillier areas and have lots of short trips, you might not get much better than the low 40's for MPG's (of course, you should compare your mileage to what you were driving before, and I bet it may be doubling that value). That is why they have the saying "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV). So take the EPA claim of 50 mpg with a huge grain of salt, the EPA doesn't do their test to figure out what mileage in the City would be like.

There are threads in the Gen III fuel mileage forum, that F8L just posted to, that address the tires he would recommend for 17" rims. He has bounced back and forth between 15" and 17" rims and has recently gone back to the 15" rims because the gas mileage hit was too much for his pysche....(he was getting 60 mpg with the 15" rims and low 50's with the 17" rims, with identical driving. With spirited driving, he was in the upper 40's with his 17" rims).

Best thing you can do is make sure your tire are properly inflated. You may want to inflate them above the "recommended" tire pressure of 35 PSI and get them up to the 40's (my tires are 44 PSI max and I run them at 44 PSI fronts and 42 PSI rears). My OEM (Yokohama) tires lasted 51,000 miles with no center wear and no edgewear (running at 44 PSI and 42 PSI).

Good luck! The car is fantastic and I'm gonna bet that you love it more and more each day.

8. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PC - Congrats on the New Car.
    As for MPG
    1 Drive the speed limit.
    2 Drive like u have no brakes.
    3 Learn to anticipate stops and slowing ahead.
    4 Tries at 42/40 PSI.
    Best of Luck to You!