1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Hybridguy, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Hybridguy

Hybridguy New Member

Hello Prius world. I am the newest addition to your world. Maybe this is news to some of you but I actually am in love with my new car (I never thought that would happen with a car).

One thing I notice about myself driving it is the obsession with the MPG. I "only" get about 42 mpgs in the city. Is that normal for the first few tanks? I have about 500miles on it right now (am on the 2nd tank).

Well, again hello from a newcomer. :D

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    A lot depends on weather, your route (ie length of travel, the type of road), tire pressure, etc.

I noticed a climb in MPG after 8K miles. Partly due to a "break-in period" and partly to my learning how to drive it correctly.

P.S. Welcome!!

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Welcome, and congratulations on your new car!

I'm still waiting for mine, so I have no helpful suggestions regarding mpg yet.

:)

4. Hybridguy

Hybridguy New Member

I figured I'd wait a bit (few 1000 miles) and I will try not to look at the MPG dsiplay every second, eventhough that is hard to do.

Thanks. :lol:

5. slortz

slortz New Member

I too am in love with my car. My wife caught me in a comprising position with my new Prius, caressing her softly in the night, and I tried to use that line of it being an accident, "I never thought it would happen." :D Luckily, I was able to get her to come around and now I have every man's dream menage. :lol:

6. kente777

kente777 New Member

Congrats on your new Prius!

I have had mine for just about a week and I'm still on my first tank of gas (360 miles). My MPG right now is 54.2. However, I rented the Prius on 3 separate occasions so I had an opportunity to learn how to drive it.

I'm sure after you've had it for a few weeks and you learn how to maximize MPG, then your mileage will improve. Not to mention that the car will improve the more it is "broken in."

Lastly, I recommend that you inflate your tires to 40/38. I think that will also help with the mileage.

Good luck!

Ken

P.S. Keep in mind that if you're using the car for a lot of short trips to the store, your mileage will be lower. The ICE has to have time to warm up before you can really start using the "pulse and glide" technique.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome, Hybridguy! Don't worry too much about MPG for the first few K miles, but you can still try to drive right. Dr. Fusco wrote a great article on <a href=\'http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=23\' target=\'_blank\'>Why don't I get the EPA Milage?</a> which is a good place to start.

And you can ask all your new PriusChat buddies about any questions that come up!

8. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Yeah, Rancid and I and Charlie in New Mexico are in a three-way race to see who can get his/her car on Groundhog Day. :lol:

Can you say "Punxatawney", boys and girls?

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Yes, send the first 25 questions to Bill Merchant, c/o PriusChat. As you can see from that metal imbedded in his forehead, Bill's a 'bot and has been programmed to dispense information 24/7. However, he's been experiencing bouts of hologrammatical spasms and may have to be tweaked. :p

Welcome to the cult. Bwahahahahahahahaha.