1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by NPG, Jun 3, 2015.

1. NPG

NPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a CPO 2013 Prius Two, not II, a week ago to replace a 03 Protege 5 and a 03 Tahoe. I commute 60+ miles round trip on mostly undulating county highways (50mph) and so far with a little practice I have seen 52 mpg which is a huge improvement over the 14 I was getting in the Tahoe. I mostly mostly wanted to post to say thanks for the wealth of info on this site. So far I have popped the wheel covers off and used $4 worth of knock out covers as center caps, and my bluetooth OBD2 adapter should be here tomorrow so I can get rid of the reverse beep. I also learned not to worry that my fill ups are only about 8.5-9 gallons.

I have an appointment on Saturday to get the tint done, 35 front 20 everywhere else. I noticed that the small vertical window on the hatch seems to already be somewhat tinted, should I go 35 there too?

Now I just need to figure out what to do with all these empty switch blanks I have.

2015-06-01.jpg

Xterra72 likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A few ideas for the empty blanks would be

1. oil slick
    2. rocket launcher
    3. passenger eject
    4. machine gun
    5. well you get the idea

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and congrats!(y)

4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been thinking more in terms of a switch to allow listening to the radio without switching the POWER button into its ACC setting, which drains battery energy several times faster than the radio alone does. Need a wiring diagram to do this safely, though.

5. NPG

NPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting, I hadn't thought about that.

My inspiration for the switches: I used to own a 1993 Land Cruiser that had the wiring for a center diff lock switch but no switch from the factory. Turns out the hazard light switch was the same socket and 50 bucks cheaper. Since then I have been always been on the look out for ways to use factory switches/fittings when ever possible.

6. afpri

afpri Hemi-Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hope you post something about those switch blanks. I was thinking about installing footwell LED's and perhaps cupholder LEDs and using the the blanks for it. In my last prius, a 2010 model two(pictured), I put in heated seats under the cloth. They were excellent carbon fiber elements that cost me about $50 and I used one of the switch blanks for that.
    Also, regarding your tint question/comment. I ordered and did the tint on my previous Prius and although I recieved the piece for that part of the car, I didn't put it on. It was not noticeable and not needed because very little light gets in through that part of the car. But you may not agree.
    I just got a 2012 Prius recently and I can't wait to get to work on it. Switchplates will be used. LOL

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful with the non-switched 12VDC.
    Priuses have a VERY small AUX (12V) battery, and they're prone to fail prematurely.

The reason?
    Priuses don't have a start motor, and you don't need a very large 12V source when you're just booting the car up.
    In fact, 9 flashlight batteries should do it.

BTW
    Welcome Aboard!

8. NPG

NPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went 35 front and 20 rear with. The 35 seems lighter than it did on my old Protege but I am happy with how it turned out. I was a little worried about visibility out the back at night but that seems to been unaffected, I will probably add a back up camera anyway.
    2015-06-06.jpg

Priusguy78213 likes this.
  9. afpri

afpri Hemi-Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for this comment about the nonswitched 12VDC. I plan to do the heated seats in this 2012 this fall. Where do you recommend I wire the power to run the seats, please?

10. bennela

bennela Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is my 2010 with 20% tint front and back. IMG_2111.JPG

HybridBull and usnavystgc like this.
  11. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How about seat heaters for the blank switch panels?

12. NPG

NPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

That's actually something I'm thinking about doing. I'm also thinking of hard mounting a 48w 4 port usb in the factory seat heater switch blank.

13. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You could do that. There's plenty of room for it that's for sure.

14. law

law Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Just FYI you lose 1-2 mpg taking off those hub caps.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    really? those hub caps serve a mpg purpose? ugly things

16. NPG

NPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I spent some time researching the hubcap issue on these forums. I have seen people say it makes no difference, it drops 1-2mpg, or can drop up to 6-7mpg.... I have also seen people post contradicting replies direct from Toyota saying the wheel covers are for appearance only while other have gotten the response that it is best to leave them on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In perfectly still conditions or in a controlled wind tunnel, the aerodynamics of the wheel covers might make some small but measurable difference but in real world conditions a quartering wind or direct crosswind is going to have a far greater effect on MPG. This is my semi informed opinion based on my driving habits and personal research and quite literally YMMV.

17. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, increased flat surface on the wheel covers is a long established MPG enhancement.

Spot the trend :)

Civic Hybrid and HF (the High efficiency gas model) wheels:
    [​IMG]

Honda Insight wheels:
    [​IMG]

Hyundai Sonata Hybrid wheels:
    [​IMG]

Ford Focus SFE (the fuel efficient trim) wheels:
    [​IMG]

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think the Prius wheels have that flat surface you are referring to. Wait, I need to BARF after seeing those wheels :sick:

usnavystgc likes this.
  19. law

law Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    There was a thread some where on this forums talking about the difference with hub caps off and on and the general consensus is there is slight loss in mpgs. Why else would Toyota put on those hub caps? Most people think the black wheels under hub caps look significantly better.

20. law

law Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Even if you did lose 1-2 mpg or even got 40 mpg that still looks like heaven compared to when you were driving your Tahoe. I drove Yukon XL Denali with 20 inch rims so I know how it feels.

Best way to test contradicting issues with hub caps is test it yourself when you get bored.