1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by roshr, Jan 4, 2007.

1. roshr

roshr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I couldn't find an appropriate place for an introduction but wanted to follow suit with what most other new members do!

Just got my 2007 Touring Edition (Pkg 6) in Super White with beige leather for my 19th birthday. I'm coming from a Land Cruiser (UZJ100 model) so this will be quite an adjustment! I've been browsing this forum for a month or two, so I feel pretty informed about my decision.

I first drove a 2004 Prius sans navigation in November. It was a trade-in at the dealership. I was absolutely not impressed with the ride or the MFD (it seemed dated!). Recently I found out the owner lived in a very, very rural area and drove on a long gravel road daily, so I gave the 07 a shot. I was much more impressed with the ride and lack of road noise, and the MFD's functions seem much more modernized as far as graphics go. I also love the Touring Editions wheels, though that's a controversial statement to make on here! The spoiler, however, I cannot tell the difference.

Because I have an iPod, I've been looking into DICE of course, as well as VAIS Technology's AVIC-100i and SoundLinQ SLI. Recently, though, I've come upon CoastalTech's Lockpick 3 and their EV Mode mod. I'm undecided about what I'm going to do. I know I want to integrate my iPod (as in, controlling it thru steering wheel functions, etc.), but there are quite a few options here... I am also planning on doing the VW-antenna mod eventually. Voiding the factory warranty is a major no-no, though.

Also, I'm initially left with a few questions.

First, I think I want satellite radio--specifically Sirius, as I've had it in the past--but I'm not sure what's involved. All I can tell is that my stereo is "capable" but not necessarily equipped to do so. Toyota seems pretty partnered-up with XM, so is Sirius even a possibility?

Second, I'm wanting to kick myself for going with the leather. I found out heated seats weren't an option, but neither is a moonroof, so didn't bother me; however, I never realized how cold leather seats would be compared to cloth in the mornings. Brrr! Has anyone installed aftermarket seat warmers?

Third, I absolutely will be getting a window tint...to protect the interior, of course! As for those funny triangular front-side windows, some owners tint them and others don't. What's your opinion? And as for the already-tinted pieces on the hatchback... are those usually left alone? Finally, I realize this thing has a huge windshield...should I be getting a darker tint for this reason (say, 20% or 15%) to compensate for all the extra light let in?

Finally, I know I'm new at driving the Prius, but I'm unsure about its behavior! It seems to turn on the gas engine at times that perplex me. For example, when the battery is near-full, A/C and fan off, and its in drive with my foot on the brake, sometimes the engine kicks on. I know it's computer-controlled and it knows best, but this is what's prompting me to do an EV mod--just for those times when I'm showing it off.

Eeek... such a long, demanding post! Any comments are appreciated. This is a great community, I must say!

2. jiji

jiji New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roshr @ Jan 4 2007, 12:21 AM) [snapback]370631[/snapback]</div>

The cold was the reason I did not wish to get the leather. I bought a '07 package 5 (no leather, w/ nav) in late November in Southern California.

I had the car tinted and it looks sharp. I went for the dark (not limo) on the back and rear doors and the lighter for the front doors. I have noticed a big difference in the temp. in the car since it was installed.

Longo Toyota is where I purchased my car and they were offering at n/c the Sirius upgrade at no charge. I was told that there was a harness that was not yet availbible for the '07, but am supposed to get a call soon.

Regarding the engine going on and off on it's own..I do not know. I do know that on my first tank, I ended up getting 43.8 mpg. I filled up today for my 5th tank and got 53.2 mpg. I guess I'm learning to be more green.

Enjoy

3. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Welcome to PriusChat.

Take a look at Factory Interactive for the Sirius. There is a limitation of 10 characters (or is it 16?), so if that matters, go with a plug'n'play model.

There have been some who have added seat warmers. Try this.

I'm planning on getting my windows tinted this spring. I'm just going to ask the tint guys for their recommendations. They should know local restrictions, which is also a plus.

As for the ICE shutting off, the car will take care of itself. If you do add the EV mod, it won't engage unless the cars says it's OK.

Hope this helps.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In colder weather the ICE will come on more often for a number of reasons..
    1)To get the ICE within a temp range it's happy with
    2)To get the Catalytic converter within a temp range it's happy with
    3)And, for the circumstance you described (battery in green, at a stop, ICE warm) it starts up to actually drain the battery! As illogical as that seems to sound one of the primary programming priorities is to maintain the life of the battery. To do that it keeps it's state of charge (SOC) within a very narrow band...usually b/w 55-65%. In winter the car "knows" it will run the ICE more and the average SOC tends to be higher. So it will spin up the ICE (you'll notice it do this 4 or 5 times during a single stop) just to drain a little charge off the battery to allow room for more charge while keeping it within it's prefered SOC range.

Also, you probably noticed an improved ride b/c the suspension was improved, some, on the '07 Prius over the '04. Other factors may have been in play too...

5. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roshr @ Jan 4 2007, 03:21 AM) [snapback]370631[/snapback]</div>
    For what it's worth, I installed the CoastalTech EV mod in my wife's '05 Prius, for Christmas. Piece of cake to do it -- the instructions could not have been clearer. I love it - wish I'd done it sooner. EV mode has limitations but it gives you another way to play with the car. And it seems particularly helpful for those cold morning starts. I limp out of my neighborhood in EV mode and turn on the gas engine only at the point where I can use it fully. No more 25 mpg bars at startup, though of course you pay for it with a lower second bar as the car recharges the battery. I seem to come ahead on net. But it does have the potential to void your warranty.